Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 million copies sold since august general consensus so far

WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723
Guild Wars 2 has sold over 3 million copies since its August, according to an update on the MMO’s website from director Colin Johanson, who also outlined the team’s 2013 plans for the title starting with expanding and leveraging the achievement system.

So now that the game has sold 3 million, what are peoples opinions on it's relative success or dissapointments in comparison to recent themepark mmo's and people, still playing there views on the state of the game.

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Still playing it, still loving it. Still hit queues in WvW, still overflows in L.A. Still find that events draw a crowd in PvE pretty much anywhere. Still a great game.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

I liked the game, just not something that you can play for X Years like the Greats

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    it's really going to get comical once they pass 5 million this fall.
  • nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    Still playing. About to have another level 80 toon, and planning to make another. I think this is the only MMO that makes alt leveling really fun.
  • jblahjblah Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Still playing it, still loving it. Still hit queues in WvW, still overflows in L.A. Still find that events draw a crowd in PvE pretty much anywhere. Still a great game.

This post was unexpected...

Seriously though selling 3 million copies is great for investors but retention is the stat that matters most to the players. Would be  nice to see the numbers for how many people log in daily now and compare that to 3-4 months ago.

SWtoR sold plenty of copies as did AOC and Warhammer Online.  Since I am not an investor selling 3 million copies means little to me but logging in and seeing mostly empty zones does matter to me. 

Playing- Guild Wars 2, SWTOR
    SWTOR Referral Link Get a free Server Transfer and lots of other free stuff for your SWTOR account! Works for both new and previous players.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

Game is....bland.

Quit months ago after reaching max level on my toon.

Now I've tons of fun grinding my Master Rifleman on Dantooine. ;-)

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Nice to hear. I played daily for about 3 weeks then lost all interest burning myself out on full completion. Played again briefly during the Xmas event and didn't enjoy the silly jumping puzzle event at all. Hopefully they hit their mark for sales for GW2 as I would like to see what they pull off for the first expansion. That, I'm afraid, would be my only reason to return. Especially with some 2013 releases I'm looking forward to.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by jblah

Seriously though selling 3 million copies is great for investors but retention is the stat that matters most to the players. Would be  nice to see the numbers for how many people log in daily now and compare that to 3-4 months ago.

SWtoR sold plenty of copies as did AOC and Warhammer Online.  Since I am not an investor selling 3 million copies means little to me but logging in and seeing mostly empty zones does matter to me. 

TBF most of those sold those numbers at launch with numbers never stated again afterward (most only being a million except swtor). Meaning sales dropped off a cliff. GW2 at least has the fact the games still selling long after launch going for it regardless of the player base actually playing it. Only really EvE and f2p mmo's mention their "growth" these days aside from. Though sub growth is of course more impressive.

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

I agree, I have been enjoying my time in GW2. Always something to do, always an adventure, heck the other day I was wandering with a friend through a cave, and he was like, yeeaaahhh I don't think there is anything in here, soon as he said that BAM! a large fire harpy spawned and we were immediately in a all out battle. Its things like that, that I love.

I haven't even really been able to test out zones of my level because I'm always playing with level 20-30 friends :P I'm sure its going to be epic!

Keep on enjoying Volkon, and if you ever wanna team up let me know :)

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

GW2 is a great entry point for players who are new to MMO's and those that are looking for a very casual friendly online gaming experience.

As many have and will state, the game simply doesn't have enough meaningful gameplay / progression options to keep many MMO veterans and hardcore players engaged over the long term. 

Sounds like ANet is seeing this as well which is why the 2013 changes seems to be geared towards player retention which is great.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Probably the only game after 2 weeks, I would log in and within 2 mins of staring at my chars I would log out. Nothing else really to say on that.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

GW2 is a great entry point for players who are new to MMO's and those that are looking for a very casual friendly online gaming experience.

As many have and will state, the game simply doesn't have enough meaningful gameplay / progression options to keep many MMO veterans and hardcore players engaged over the long term. 

Sounds like ANet is seeing this as well which is why the 2013 changes seems to be geared towards player retention which is great.

I think you hit the nail on the head here.  Very good introduction game.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

hmm,  so far its sold exactly half as many copies as diablo3 did on the first day xD,  Which is a pretty good indicator,  leveling alts, item hunting and acheivments in D3 just seems to be far more gratuitous.

Guildwars2 is neither an MMO nor a standalonge RPG resulting in a game that isnt very very good at either.   Great if your a person who is deeply conflicted about these gamyplay styles but not me.   I rather play either a thorough-bred MMO or a thorough-bred RPG.

The only people in my friends list that still play it are just people determined to prove the game is as good as they convinced themselves it would be during the hype.

The reality is, it was fun for a month but now is the time to accept it will never be the wow-killer, will never live up to the hype and look for something else.

Originally posted by sadeyx

hmm,  so far its sold exactly half as many copies as diablo3 did on the first day xD,  Which is a pretty good indicator,  leveling alts, item hunting and acheivments in D3 just seems to be far more gratuitous.

Guildwars2 is neither an MMO nor a standalonge RPG resulting in a game that isnt very very good at either.   Great if your a person who is deeply conflicted about these gamyplay styles but not me.   I rather play either a thorough-bred MMO or a thorough-bred RPG.

The only people in my friends list that still play it are just people determined to prove the game is as good as they convinced themselves it would be during the hype.

The reality is, it was fun for a month but now is the time to accept it will never be the wow-killer, will never live up to the hype and look for something else.

Diablo 3 is bad game that entirely on the strength of it's predessor and blizzard brand name. When was the last time Blizzard posted any stats about the game sales, yeah the intial one.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    I´ve been playing since Beta,and still love it & having a blast!

Good to see they have a plan!  ;D

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

If you read the update, they are addressing this with the dailies and revamp of the world.

But yes, people are still logging in, they are just hanging out in LA waiting for dungeons / fractals. Or in WvW / PvP. Once there are incentives to do open world content, people will be back out there.

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

I have seen he writing on the wall once it started to bleed through the paint. good little MMO fun and super easy to figure out, just not the MMO that has the immersion and depth to keep me investing in it. I wish them well, but I have 10 other MMOs that are just like it to play currently if I wanted to.

Nothing stands out about it's features or mechnaics. it always ends up about an imginary end game that players will consume in a week, then it's back to waiting on the next update or grinding alts for something new to do.

Still a nice MMO for people new to the genre and who have a hard time understanding complex mechanics and game play.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Diablo 3 sold 3.5 million on the first day, mostly due to the promotion they ran with World of Warcraft subscriptions. How is 3 million half of 3.5 million? Go back to school mate.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Warband

Diablo 3 is bad game that entirely on the strength of it's predessor and blizzard brand name. When was the last time Blizzard posted any stats about the game sales, yeah the intial one.

I would be careful about throwing around accusations like that. You can easily replace D3 with GW2 and Blizzard with ArenaNET and someone could present you with the same argument. No it's best if you just ignore posters that try to drag down a discussion by bringing in things that are not related to the subject at hand. Calling either game bad is a matter of opinion that varies wildly among millions of players.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Originally posted by Warband

I would be careful about throwing around accusations like that. You can easily replace D3 with GW2 and Blizzard with ArenaNET and someone could present you with the same argument. No it's best if you just ignore posters that try to drag down a discussion by bringing in things that are not related to the subject at hand. Calling either game bad is a matter of opinion that varies wildly among millions of players.

Completely missed the point. I was stating guild wars 2 sold a million starting 2 months after launch meaning the game continue to sell decent past the intial launch buzz. The same can't be said for Diablo 3 otherwise blizzard would have mentioned it. GW2 also reviewed higher based on critics and general user score. Of course bad game is an opinion but gw2 is generally regard as higher by the majority from the information I have.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Had an enjoyable ride (bout 5-6 weeks), the game just has no sustainability to me, nothing made me want to login after the hurdle (full dungeon set, exotics etc). WvW was/is pointless, sPVP is garbage.

I doubt half of those who bought it even play anymore.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • Black_DogBlack_Dog Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

Game is....bland.

Quit months ago after reaching max level on my toon.

Now I've tons of fun grinding my Master Rifleman on Dantooine. ;-)

That sounds terribly like you are on swg btw :D

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I'm still playing a few hours per week, but I have to say I DO NOT like the lack of trinity at all. As someone who normally always plays healers (and occassionally tanks), the lack of distinct roles is rather glaring for me. I loathe playing pure DPS in other games, and being forced to be a hybrid has been a pain.

And no, water eles and support guardians aren't any better. 

<3

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Thankfully my server is not having population issues and my guildmates havent been leaving the game.

At any time I can go to any of the Orr zones and join a zerg, getting a party for a dungeon is easy. Fractals is as popular now as it was when it hit. WvW is insane, always a lot of people to run with if for some unknown reason there arent a bunch of my guildies doing it(which is rare).

I put NO value at all in the complaints about some mid level zones being empty because that is always the case in every MMO that has multiple zones you can be in at that level at this point after release. Much of the playerbase already has a level 80 and are doing end game content and those leveling alts know the tricks of doing it and may be rushing to level leaving those mid level zones mostly empty...something that happens in all themepark games.

I know it shouldnt in this game, a game that brings your character down to match the level of the zone, it makes 100% of the game content playable no matter your level but players are locked into the old mentality that once low level content is done, there is no need to go back and do it again. Go on, take your level 80 decked out in orange gear back to the starter zone and take on that elite alone and find yourself still challenged...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Retention % starts to lose importance as absolute numbers go up and no subs basicaly allows players to return whenever they feel like.

At 50% retention rate, we are talking about 1.5.million. Even at 10% retention we have 300k.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders