Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Decide!

I played at release... and quit  (after about 6 months) as many others did due to a variety of reasons.

I'm ready to try again after being completely bored to tears by GW2.. this is a tangent but seriously GW2 is the prettiest looking, prettiest sounding, most boring game ive ever played. a horrific grind of easymode boring gameplay in the most unimmersive themepark i've ever played. but yes, its free and it looks stunning but even that cant get me to login anymore. yes you can have my stuff, hack my accountb - couldnt care less. back to Age of Conan...

here were my main issues as to why i quit. please address any or all of these issues. thanks alot for your time:

1. bugs.. im assuming after all this time that the massive amount of bugs are fixed... i mean it was bad. they affected every area of gameplay, too numerous to mention. is the game mostly stable atm?

2. class balance.. i played a HoX and they were woefully shit compared to 2 or 3 godmode classes that Funcom refused to balance.. it was bad. HoX wasnt the only weaksauce class though. generally how is the state of balance? every class bring a little bit to the party in their own ways?

3. small zones.. ya the game felt very cramped to me... didnt feel like i was in a huge world at all. felt very single player to me and i hated it.  i will continue to hate instances until the day i die but i will tolerate them.

4. gear. when i quit there was still a distinct lack of variery in gear and everyone looked the same. I love to RP and making my character look different and being to have different outfits really makes it fun for me.

5. combat mechanics. combat was fun but there were major problems with network latency and hit detection. really ruined any viceral feel of the combat.

6. pvp. it was a complete mess and still only partially implemented when i quit.

7. interface. keymapping was horrendously buggy. i remember i couldnt map anytthing to my logitech mouse and i couldnt move/resize anything... was awful. any better?

Thanks for your comments and insights.

cheers (with some black lotus in your goblet ;)

Comments

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Originally posted by ElectricWizard

I played at release... and quit  (after about 6 months) as many others did due to a variety of reasons.

I'm ready to try again after being completely bored to tears by GW2.. this is a tangent but seriously GW2 is the prettiest looking, prettiest sounding, most boring game ive ever played. a horrific grind of easymode boring gameplay in the most unimmersive themepark i've ever played. but yes, its free and it looks stunning but even that cant get me to login anymore. yes you can have my stuff, hack my accountb - couldnt care less. back to Age of Conan...

here were my main issues as to why i quit. please address any or all of these issues. thanks alot for your time:

1. bugs.. im assuming after all this time that the massive amount of bugs are fixed... i mean it was bad. they affected every area of gameplay, too numerous to mention. is the game mostly stable atm?

2. class balance.. i played a HoX and they were woefully shit compared to 2 or 3 godmode classes that Funcom refused to balance.. it was bad. HoX wasnt the only weaksauce class though. generally how is the state of balance? every class bring a little bit to the party in their own ways?

3. small zones.. ya the game felt very cramped to me... didnt feel like i was in a huge world at all. felt very single player to me and i hated it.  i will continue to hate instances until the day i die but i will tolerate them.

4. gear. when i quit there was still a distinct lack of variery in gear and everyone looked the same. I love to RP and making my character look different and being to have different outfits really makes it fun for me.

5. combat mechanics. combat was fun but there were major problems with network latency and hit detection. really ruined any viceral feel of the combat.

6. pvp. it was a complete mess and still only partially implemented when i quit.

7. interface. keymapping was horrendously buggy. i remember i couldnt map anytthing to my logitech mouse and i couldnt move/resize anything... was awful. any better?

Thanks for your comments and insights.

cheers (with some black lotus in your goblet ;)

1. Bugs are pretty much all addressed. Sometimes when new content is introduced it will trigger a bug that wasn't there before, but the devs will get it fixed as soon as they can. Concerning the vast majority of content the game is stable, runs very smooth, and looks great if you have the machine to handle it. The game now supports DX10, which wasn't the case at launch.

2. Class balance seems to be as close as a game with this many classes and skills can be. Anyway I haven't seen any rants on the boards lately from players whining about over powered character classes. I don't PvP much but PvPers don't complain about class balance as much as they do PvP game content.

3. Small zones? I guess that is kind of subjective. I don't think the zones like Field of the Dead, Wild Lands, Conall's Valley, Eiglophian Mountains, Thunder River, etc. are small. They are good size play fields that are well designed and full of content. But you do have to sit through a loading screen to enter them, for me that only takes a few seconds, so it is not a big deal.

4. Gear and your character's apperance has totally improved since the old days. There is a vanity tab now that allows you to wear any armor your class allows while still keeping your strongest stats. I think it is among the best improvements the game has seen. You don't have to wear those ugly plaid boots and short sleeve knit shirts. If you like the look of cloth or fur you can wear it. Mix things up any way you like. Also there is a bunch of new armor and gear that has been added to the game. A lot of vanity gear or social gear is avalible in the cash shop, some of it is cheap, some not.

5. Combat is another strong point of the game. I didn't play at launch so I can't compare, but the combat is responsive and smooth. I play a melee character and the faltalities are just over the top! I think executing combos has just the right amount of complexity to it without being tedious. Combat in Aoc is a lot of fun!

6. I have only PvPed here and there. There is a server dedicated entirely to PvP, but I understand it is  not very populated.

7. I use the stock interface and like it fine, everything works. There are custom interfaces that peeps use if you don't like stock but I think they all work fine. I never hear any complaints about the interface.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• ElectricWizardElectricWizard Member Posts: 47

nevermind.. i downloaded it and played for a few days... agonizingly bad days. still a pretty awful game experience.

summary: for some reason my old characters were listed in character screen but i couldnt login with them... a day of customer support yields nothing but frustration. i try redownloading & reinstalling... for some reason i can now login with my old characters.. ok good....

finally get into the game world and first red flag... my chat window is immediately filled with people calling each other "cunts" and arguing why AoC failed and getting worse...

I then spend 30min getting whispers from a "disgruntled veteran" explaining about the terrible class inbalances....

the graphics still look bland with washed out colors (dont make any "go back to WoW" comments because i never played it). the Field of View is wtf dumb - looks like youre in a tunnel and your character is cut in half by the main hotbar when you zoom in. performance is good though.. getting 92 FPS with EVERYTHING maxed, even in cities.

Interface is still horrendous. You cant hotkey the cursor keys separate from the numpad (unlike every other MMO ive ever played)... cant keybind ANY of my Logitech mouse's buttons... w t f. 90% of the UI cant be moved or resized still.. wtf

I run a dungeon.. just not fun. The combat is far less fun than i somehow remembered it. My character skills just dont feel responsive and the mashing combos just doesnt have any depth. The group completes the dungeon without saying a word to each other.. except at the end when the conqueror whispers me if im a real female or not (i play a female stygian HoX) because he will "cybor" with me..

day 5: i seek a guild (lol ya I'm stubbornly optimistic).  this is the funniest part; I advertise for a "mature veteran guild for a serious MMO vet and occasional RPer" and i get an invite. 3 players are online and they are discussing why AoC is a "hopeless mess" and which game they want to move the guild to... ugh

5 days later and im just completely turned off. i think i remember now why i originally quit

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Electricwizard.. Have no idea what you do in this game.. But this is what I keep doing... And it's fcking FUN!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

The Ultimate Breakdown

• ElectricWizardElectricWizard Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by DaSpack

Electricwizard.. Have no idea what you do in this game.. But this is what I keep doing... And it's fcking FUN!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

you do fatalities on the same 3 weakass npc's for 2min and 59 secs?

ya 3minutes is about how much this game holds my attention too

actually this reply shocked me.. i was expecting boob screenshots from a community like AoC's

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Sounds like you went into the game expecting it to be crap so you played it just to reassure yourself.

A few in global does NOT represent the entire community of AOC. Yeah it's bad, but it's not the entire server of the game. That stuff goes on to some degree in a lot of MMO's. I spent a good amount playing Path of Exile this weekend and the global chat there was lively.

If you think the graphics are bland in AOC I'm curious to what you think has better. Even most of the haters of AOC concede the graphics in AOC are still near the top in MMOs.

In searching for a guild... Anyone that asks in global for a guild in any game gets what they deserve. Research! There are plenty of good solid guilds in AOC that have zero drama that goes on in global chat. 

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• iozayiozay Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Looks like the game isn't exactly something for you ^^ You could try another class as in my experience most classes have quite a bit of depth on later levels. But yes, I am not a fan of Global myself an try to keep out of it. The community has a lot great people though.
  • DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Play AoC. Done :P

The Ultimate Breakdown