Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria : Collector's Edition Giveaway - a big hockey-pockey

banadonabanadona Member UncommonPosts: 16

First of all it pains me to write about this because I have been a huge fan of MMORPG.com for quite some time but this type of behaviour just screams to make people know.

I would like to remind some of you about a contest made by MMORPG.com concerning World of Warcraft which results can be seen here: http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/26429/World-of-Warcraft-Mists-of-Pandaria-Collectors-Edition-Giveaway-Winners-Announcement.html

My name is Micha? Graczyk and I am the facebook grand prize winner of this contest.

You can only imagine how great was my happiness when I saw that I actually won something for the first time in my life and moreover that It is the signed collector's edition of Mists of Pandaria. Everything was great, on the 28th of December 2012 I got a message from Michael Bitton via facebook asking for my adress and all, congratulating me. I was really really happy.

Then something happened. No longer than six days after I got another message and let me quote:

"Hi there!

Unfortunately, we are not going to be able to honor your prize due to associated shipping costs. Please accept our apologies! image"

(Let me explain here that I live in Poland although I can't see it being relevant because there was no mentioning of people from Europe not being able to actually take part in the contest)

You can imagine my shock and disbelief when I have read this. Don't want to sware but you guys can imagine how pissed I was at that moment.

Luckily I have a friend living in the U.S and I thought that maybe they could send the prize to his place. I asked Michael Bitton as calmly as I could and got a reply:

"...If you'd like us to send out your prize to an address in the US, we can probably do that."

Happy that not all is lost I have given him an appropriate adress in the States in the same time finding out, that the other grand prize winner (Zzad) that was from Spain, will not receive his prize either. (Picking two grand prize winners from somewhere that it is impossible for them to send a package strikes me as puzzling)

Days pass and still nothing arrives at my friends house in the States. I am beggining to loose all hope of actually being able to receive the prize I justly won.

Two questions strike my mind:

#1 How could such a thing happen in such a great service as the MMORPG.com?

#2 How could such a great service as the MMORPG not be able to send two packages with justly won prizes to their rightfull  winners?

Don't have anything to add. Maybe you guys will find some other words to describe what's happened because I am tired of this case and actually lost all hope of using the prize I won (The prize game is of US version whereas I play on EU)

Wanted to share this story with you guys so maybe someone somewhere learns a lesson.

Comments

• banadonabanadona Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Still, I think it can be considered one of the most known and largest MMO websites out there. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Odd they send me a gaming mouse a few year back without any trouble. I believe I had to pay the shipping cost though, but was not that much. Not sure why they are not able to do the same for you guys.
    Zzad actually asked them if he can cover for the shipment cost but they have said it is impossible without explaining why.
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    thats shocking if true.
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    thats shocking if true.

Well it is true and it is shocking. Don't know how to give you more evidence beside the link to the contest announcement page. Was thinking for a while if it is worth to write about this but I think people should know.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    I don't see any problem in this if you told them you can pay the shipping cost, then it has to be something else that make them not send it.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
    This is very sad to hear and also VERY unprofessional from MMORPG.com if this is true. They really do give reasons lately to their readers to leave this website for another don't they.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

Wasn't this issue solved last week where they agreed to crack open the box and give the code . Here read it

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/373605/So-I-sadly-won-copy-of-MoP-on-MMORPG.html

Chamber of Chains
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by cheyane

Wasn't this issue solved last week where they agreed to crack open the box and give the code . Here read it

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/373605/So-I-sadly-won-copy-of-MoP-on-MMORPG.html

If it were me, I'd still want the autographed box.

Odd that reverse shipping costs was denied.  Even if it cost $100 to ship, it would still be a highly coveted collectors item, whether someone still plays or likes WoW or not.

I wonder if it has to do more with contest laws with other countries, & having a contest sanctioned & certified (& taxed) by the local government, etc.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Nobody contacted me suggesting such an option. Haven't seen this thread but still I wouldn't be able to use the digital code because it is of US version. Contacted Blizzard asking them if they could exchange it for an EU one but no answers yet.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

sorry to hear Op

sounds like mmorpg staff need to put a disclaimer on future contests:  cannot ship outside USA

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166

ya cuz ppl who enterd the contest want the code, grow sum brains man...they want the autographed box! Cuz they sell for over 400 bucks on ebay....thi sis why im not dedicated to this site, either mmohut or annother one(cant remember the name atm) im not too impressed by the staff of this site...this dosnt surprise me at all...for all we know could have been ppl they knew who won.

• MisatoTremorMisatoTremor Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by Nadia

sorry to hear Op

sounds like mmorpg staff need to put a disclaimer on future contests:  cannot ship outside USA

They normally do this by stating that only residents from specific contries or areas are eligible to enter in the contest rules. They haven't done so in this contest.

My guess is someone mixed it up and forgot to put that line into the rules.

Misato - TankDoc for Life
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by dextral
    Originally posted by Nadia

sorry to hear Op

They normally do this by stating that only residents from specific contries or areas are eligible to enter in the contest rules. They haven't done so in this contest.

My guess is someone mixed it up and forgot to put that line into the rules.

Yeh what  dex said normaly any country outside US cannot enter for physical products, theres no point in us Euros even trying to take part unless its an online code giveaway.

Ive just been around long enough to know this, doesnt bother me still come here to look at stuffz ;). Most sites like this one are run on shoe string budgets, paying the postage to the far reaches of the world is too costly for them.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I'm actually amazed that they are being so cheap and can't even afford a little extra shipping. It's embarassing and sad. It's a rare added expense. it's not like they have 1000's of overseas packages going out every day.
    Out of curiosity, what would the spipping cost on a package that size be if sent to the OP's country? Anyone know?
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    20-50$ done right.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    [mod edit]

I'm sure everyone has who comes here constantly does that and doing that doesn't excuse a lack of disclaimer or a lack of predetermined funds to send something like this overseas because this is a internet and the US isn't the only english speaking country not to mention the large number of members from other countries on these forums.

Originally posted by Wicoa
    20-50$ done right.

So, assuming US shipping cost of $7, the additional cost is $13+?

Come on MMORPG.com. I understand your desire to manage costs, but wow...just wow.

If the contest rules didn't include a disclaimer regarding additional shipping...then I think MMORPG.com should honor the completed contest and take measures to ensure FUTURE contests include the necessary clause so the issue doesn't repeat itself.

• darkkblackdarkkblack Member Posts: 38
    Ouch I would be demoralized! I hope things work out for you! Good luck in the future when winning stuff.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    We've already arranged to send this to this user's friend in the states and the shipment should be arriving soon.
This discussion has been closed.