Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I am really enjoying GW2

I know that in time I will enjoy the game less, that's just the nature of everything in life. What is novel at first eventually becomes mundane. But for now I am having a great time. My background in gaming is not extensive. The only games I played for six months or more have been EQ2, SWtOR, and TSW. I feel fairly sure that GW2 will be joining that club.

So, if you're on the fence about buying it, here are the thoughts of a new player:

1) Character Creation: This element of any game is pretty important to me. If I don't have a 'beautiful' or 'dashing' looking avatar I find it very hard to get enthused. GW2 has the best character creator outside of Eve imo. Eve's is clearly better, but you can't interact with other people so I don't think it should count. 

A distinctive name is another small item that is super important to me. GW2 is the first game I have played that took the absolutely best approach and allows you to create names like 'Lily Stargazer' or 'Basher The Beast'. Despite millions of people having created characters I was able to get a name that I genuinely appreciated (Pandora Winter) in less than a minute.

My score: 9/10. I would give it a 10, but it seems that once you enter the actual game world your features become a little softer, probably for FPS reasons. Still, I love the way my character looks.

2) Beautiful Game World: Without a doubt, best cities I've ever seen (remember I am not an expert and my game past is limited). The main city is filled with NPCs and really seems alive. The country side I have seen so far has been less impressive than the cities but still very well done. The different geographic formations (mountains, swamps, etc.) really do exude the ambiance you would expect from such a locale.

MS: 8/10

3) Easy Questing: You never have to join a group, or at least I haven't in my first 13 levels. I have no idea about the endgame, but then I rarely get to the endgame so that is not a priority to me. The quest givers are easy to find, the goals are clear, and just by being in the same proximity of other players you are automatically grouped for whatever event is occuring. When it's over there is no painful seperation, you just go find something else to do.

4) Crafting: I loved the crafting in EQ2, but GW2 has the best crafting I have seen yet. It is easy, intuitive, and from the start you can make useful items. Gathering materials is done by harvesting nodes that only you have access to! No more disapointment from seeing some ore, running to it, and then being beaten to the punch by one second by another player. 

MS: 10/10

5) Community: The Community is very friendly (I'm on Crystal Desert) and any questions I have had have been answered quickly and politely. I have not had a lot of interaction with my fellow players as I am still trying to get my newbie legs, but some very friendly, down to earth folk seem to be the norm.

6) Ease of Use: Very polished interface. I need to print up a game manual, and I do wish that some features were explained  more clearly with a mouse over such as the character stats, but small things like that are easily rectified by doing a google search.  And despite that single, small flaw, there are so many innovations that the pros seriously outweigh the cons. The game designers obviously put fun first! Instead of running to a bank when my bags are full I can clear out inventory when away from the city with a single click that deposits collectables for me - just one example of many.

MS: 8/10.

7) Fun: I am truly enjoying myself. This is not a morally ambiguous game. You are the hero. You do the right thing. You help the poor and oppressed and defeat the bad guys. While some may see that as shallow, I actually appreciate the change of pace. It feels nice to be the good guy!

MS: 10/10.

So, those are my initial impressions and opinions. I still have a lot to learn, I have not gone beyond the starting zone, and my highest character is level 13. There may be serious issues later in the game, I don't know. All I do know is that I am really enjoying this relaxing, entertaining game for now. Easily worth the one time cost in terms of return on my investment. If you are looking for a highly polished, beautiful world I strongly recommend it. 

Comments

• mistersalty1mistersalty1 Member Posts: 26
    theres no end game. once you hit 80 theres nothing to do. dont expect anything different than what you did in the starter zone all the way up to 80. WvW is just a big zergfest. game is bad.
  • ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176

My sassy warrior!:

Pandora Winter

Originally posted by mistersalty1
    theres no end game. once you hit 80 theres nothing to do. dont expect anything different than what you did in the starter zone all the way up to 80. WvW is just a big zergfest. game is bad.

Even if it really, really stinks once I get past the zone I am in, I still got my money's worth :). And maybe that is something they are working on and will improve by the time I arrive. If not, other games are coming out.

• GXRrangerGXRranger Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Come back and update the thread when you hit 80.  I would like to see if you changed your mind on the game any.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Well to be honest I really enjoyed it up to level 20, was having fun upto level 30, "logging on when my mates were" upto level 40 but by level 50 I was losing interest FAST.

I would say by level 40 (and only for the dungeons) you've seen all that GW2 has to offer not that thats a bad thing if you like what it has to offer.  I stopped playing 2 or 3 months ago having dragged my way to level 70 with little desire to return, I logged in for the winterfel thing for all of 10 minutes, throw some snow balls around then logged off.  Maybe an expansion will bring me back?

Originally posted by GXRranger
    Come back and update the thread when you hit 80.  I would like to see if you changed your mind on the game any.

If I get that far I certainly will! :) 

I know that this honeymoon phase will pass, but considering the number of games I tried in earnest that didn't have 1/10th of the redeeming qualities of GW2, I have been wonderfully surprised and happy I made the purchase.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

While I am sure its quite possible its not the norm.  Sure people have quit but the retention rate is pretty damn high as evident by their continuing plans for major updates and hiring in their offices.  GW2 is doing quite fine and some of us actually enjoy the game.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by expresso

...Maybe an expansion will bring me back?

Well, I am sure that there are some people who are so enamored of a game that they play it for a decade, but I'm not one of them. I played EQ2 for ... three years I think. The expansions would rekindle the fire for a little while (the one that allowed you to play a pixie was my fave), but in the end I think most people play a game for a few years and then move on. That isn't a reflection on the game, it's just human nature to want to try new and different things. 

I know I am really looking forward to EQ Next, I miss playing a Shadow Knight. Why has no other game gotten that class as right as EQ2 did? And the pets for the Necromancer in GW2, so far they have left me unimpressed. Your first pet is like a floating bug or something. I would love it if you could get skeletons like in EQ2.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

As other have said... 1-80 is exactly the same experience.  You unlock almost all of your skills within the first 5 levels of gameplay more or less.  I played 2 classes and both had me falling asleep during combat.

They normalized/balanced this game for 1v1 and small group PvP which makes WvW boring and stupid. 

Another great example of PvP centered gameplay and balance sending a game to failtown.

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230

Im playing the game since 1st beta & still have a blast in WvW also i have change for my Guardian 10 different sets of armor & 10 different builds & still looking for the perfect build..also for the guys saying the WvW needs a  system ala Daoc i agree but lets w8 for the Jan/Feb patches we may be surprised..to sum up my mind havnt changed any..

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

LOL,  What is wrong with that warrior's legs? Her forearms are almost the same size as her thighs!

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I have been playing this game on and off with a few characters.  I still am having fun when I play even though I have a character at level 80.  I also dont play all the time and have other things happening in my life which I believe the combo of those things keeps the game fresh for me.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Unless you have this thing called friends, and a guild.

I have two level 80s and working on a third and any time I want I can jump into a dungeon, Orr zerg or hit WvW just like in any other MMORPG out today only there is NO END to content in this game because I can go to a level 1-10 zone with my level 80, be dropped down to that zones level and still be challenged as if it was a new character.

Better yet, I could take my level 80, go to one of those zones everyone complains about being empty, lvl 30-60 and maybe go play with some of those lonely people on an equal playing field...go on and find that in another game.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Glad you like the game so much.  I've been playing for months and I'm still enjoying it a lot more than I have any other MMO since WoW.  I have 1 80 and another few on the way.  Once I've leveled all the professions I'm interested in, I'll just play the next expansion.  I've even managed to bring two more people to the game recently and they're also loving it.  I've gotten way more than my money's worth already even if I take an extended break sometime in the future.
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Put so much time into this game already I'm kind of ashamed about it but I am just really digging it. Tried a few other games recently as well but keep going back to gw2. Fractals is the bomb and I can't wait to see how they build upon that aspect myself.

Glad you're enjoying it....

Originally posted by DaezAster

Put so much time into this game already I'm kind of ashamed about it but I am just really digging it. Tried a few other games recently as well but keep going back to gw2. Fractals is the bomb and I can't wait to see how they build upon that aspect myself.

Glad you're enjoying it....

Yeah, I got a chance to try my first Fractal over the holidays once I got my new pc up and running, and man, I haven't had that much fun in a dungeon since Burning Crusade.  I've also tried some other games, and some of them are pretty good, but after all the mobility in GW2's combat system, I couldn't go back to WoW for example.  I know people disagree with me and that's fine, I just really think they did a good job on making the fights challenging and fun.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I think the crafting is boring. I liked the system better in SWTOR but I hate crafting in all games lol. I actually would rate the beauty of the world higher as I haven't seen an MMO this artistically to my liking since Lord of the Rings Online (whose character animations I hated). Its kept my attention longer than SWTOR so far because it just feels more alive. I do agree with some complaints about how the fun of the game is very much dependent on population, but so far that hasn't affected me much. I also don't care about end game right now since I level so slow and I never really thought when playing single player games that when I reach the end if the end doesn't continue that somehow I now don't like the game. For me its always been the journey not the end state.

Now, I have yet to play a game since WOW when that was released where I would want to level up more than one character. I'm not so sure this game will pull me in for that so in that regard it may fail, but all in all I give it a 8 or 9 out of 10  when compared to other MMOs that have been released since WOW and EQ2.

There Is Always Hope!

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

hhmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,"the game was so bad, that i played it til max level"

all games have to end,,try levelling alts,,or go to another game until expansion comes out

im not a endgame/pvp fan myself, so i cant judge in that,,at least not objectivally

this is the best damn game ive ever played,,100s of games since asteroids and pacman

this one beats them all

im running around in a big luscious world,,doing crazy sh*t,,all with jeremys EPIC score softly in my ears

PS dont forget to send arenanet some $$,,we have to keep those hamsters well fed,,theyre pulling a lot of weight

• NoxxumariNoxxumari Member Posts: 16
    thanks for the positive insight on the game I have left these forums before because everyone is so negative. How is the community in general? I play for the social interaction as well. Nothing bores me more than not making new friends in a MMO.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Noxxumari
    thanks for the positive insight on the game I have left these forums before because everyone is so negative. How is the community in general? I play for the social interaction as well. Nothing bores me more than not making new friends in a MMO.

I've had an easy time making friends in game, but it's a very busy game so sometimes the idle chatter is light because people don't have the time to stop. I find I'll be typing out something to say and have to stop halfway because we're back in another fight.  The pace in this game can be amazing because things are actively happening, instead of a questgiver based game where nothing happens unless you queue it.  So if you take the initiative, people will respond and the community is good.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by ashleymorrow

I know that in time I will enjoy the game less, that's just the nature of everything in life. What is novel at first eventually becomes mundane. But for now I am having a great time. My background in gaming is not extensive. The only games I played for six months or more have been EQ2, SWtOR, and TSW. I feel fairly sure that GW2 will be joining that club.

So, if you're on the fence about buying it, here are the thoughts of a new player:

1) Character Creation: This element of any game is pretty important to me. If I don't have a 'beautiful' or 'dashing' looking avatar I find it very hard to get enthused. GW2 has the best character creator outside of Eve imo. Eve's is clearly better, but you can't interact with other people so I don't think it should count. 

A distinctive name is another small item that is super important to me. GW2 is the first game I have played that took the absolutely best approach and allows you to create names like 'Lily Stargazer' or 'Basher The Beast'. Despite millions of people having created characters I was able to get a name that I genuinely appreciated (Pandora Winter) in less than a minute.

My score: 9/10. I would give it a 10, but it seems that once you enter the actual game world your features become a little softer, probably for FPS reasons. Still, I love the way my character looks.

2) Beautiful Game World: Without a doubt, best cities I've ever seen (remember I am not an expert and my game past is limited). The main city is filled with NPCs and really seems alive. The country side I have seen so far has been less impressive than the cities but still very well done. The different geographic formations (mountains, swamps, etc.) really do exude the ambiance you would expect from such a locale.

3) Easy Questing: You never have to join a group, or at least I haven't in my first 13 levels. I have no idea about the endgame, but then I rarely get to the endgame so that is not a priority to me. The quest givers are easy to find, the goals are clear, and just by being in the same proximity of other players you are automatically grouped for whatever event is occuring. When it's over there is no painful seperation, you just go find something else to do.

4) Crafting: I loved the crafting in EQ2, but GW2 has the best crafting I have seen yet. It is easy, intuitive, and from the start you can make useful items. Gathering materials is done by harvesting nodes that only you have access to! No more disapointment from seeing some ore, running to it, and then being beaten to the punch by one second by another player. 

5) Community: The Community is very friendly (I'm on Crystal Desert) and any questions I have had have been answered quickly and politely. I have not had a lot of interaction with my fellow players as I am still trying to get my newbie legs, but some very friendly, down to earth folk seem to be the norm.

6) Ease of Use: Very polished interface. I need to print up a game manual, and I do wish that some features were explained  more clearly with a mouse over such as the character stats, but small things like that are easily rectified by doing a google search.  And despite that single, small flaw, there are so many innovations that the pros seriously outweigh the cons. The game designers obviously put fun first! Instead of running to a bank when my bags are full I can clear out inventory when away from the city with a single click that deposits collectables for me - just one example of many.

MS: 8/10.

7) Fun: I am truly enjoying myself. This is not a morally ambiguous game. You are the hero. You do the right thing. You help the poor and oppressed and defeat the bad guys. While some may see that as shallow, I actually appreciate the change of pace. It feels nice to be the good guy!

MS: 10/10.

So, those are my initial impressions and opinions. I still have a lot to learn, I have not gone beyond the starting zone, and my highest character is level 13. There may be serious issues later in the game, I don't know. All I do know is that I am really enjoying this relaxing, entertaining game for now. Easily worth the one time cost in terms of return on my investment. If you are looking for a highly polished, beautiful world I strongly recommend it. 

Oh hey question for you. I see that you tried TSW. I just couldn't bring myself to pay for a sub for that game even though I loved the idea of it. What were your thoughts on it if you don't mind me asking?

Also yeah GW2...hmm I wish the world for this game but for some reason something is off. I'm currently playing torchlight 2 as well as Rift. GW2 I come back to here and again but I'm also waiting on FF14 reborn so see if I can get that RPG spark back. If not I'll probably go back to playing console RPGs instead.

Till that time however I split my time between Rift, GW2 and Torch light 2. GW2 has taken the backburner after I got to 80 on my norn ranger...I have a lot of other characters that I would love to level but just can't seem to get the motivation for it. Perhaps if they add something that makes exploring worth it. Or perhaps something to make my character actually feel like they are powerful or something. Or who knows perhaps I'll come back just to casually level one of them up.

Grats on your enjoyment I think its a good game, but instead of adding fluff they should but more depth into the game. You know switch some systems around or something. Add more skills, redo the pets, make the classes more viable. They feel kind of...hmm...shallow. I think I might come back for the pvp though as I loved that part.

Originally posted by Noxxumari

Well despite what some people say, I've had just as successful a time meeting new people and playing with them as I ever had in WoW playing for 4+ years.  It's about as social when it comes down to it.  The difference is that you don't need to worry about whose loot is whose after killing quest mobs, since loot is instanced, so there's no "Hey it dropped one for you way back here".  God I hated that. 

But yeah, just join a guild that seems friendly.  Honestly, that's how I met all of my friends in every other MMO.

Originally posted by Graey
    Oh hey question for you. I see that you tried TSW. I just couldn't bring myself to pay for a sub for that game even though I loved the idea of it. What were your thoughts on it if you don't mind me asking?

I think it is a great premise with not so good execution. Visually it's a beautiful game, easily some of the best atmospheres I've seen in a game. The initial stage is fun, but the game itself is hardly user friendly or intuitive. So if you play be prepared to sit down and read a good bit about the mechanics and how different abilities pair with others.

I had some good times in it, but in the end it was becoming more of a chore than a joy. I play games to relax, but if you're a competitive person you might really enjoy it. I would wait for a free trial though. I just read that a patch broke some of the quest givers and vendors; not a good sign.

The devs are really cool and I wish them the best, but I get the feeling that the ship is sinking. That's just my own personal intuition on the matter and I could be wrong.

Edited to add: If you can get it for ten or fifteen dollars you'll most likely get your moneys worth out of it if you're like me and divide the hours of fun into price paid. 

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    The reason I like it is simply because the open world in this game is so much better then any other mmo, it's not funny nor close. The other games to me to get anything good it had to be some group instance. Here the huge landscape that you mozy around in, is actually fun enough that to me it doesn't even need the instances.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Lets see, at 80 i still do all the same things i loved to do while leveling up... tough the dungeons only started at level 30. 

While most people zerg in WvWvW, because they are sheep that like to follow a leader, small group play in WvWvW can be much fun and there are even a lot of goals to achieve with a small group.

This game is the best thing since Vanilla WoW, EQ and DAoC. and i love it every day i play, so do my guildies and a lot of real life friends.  and every day i just play a few hours.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)