Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lotro feels like a good game - after all

MustarastasMustarastas Member UncommonPosts: 79

I have shunned from this game for so long time cause of small details I didnt like in it first. 

But now that I have played this uptil41 the game begins to shine tbh.

Good things in early levels of Lotro:

- Lots of the Epic quest line group/fellowship quests have been replaced with "solo-mode" where you can use this "stone" to make yourself nearly invincible. No more tedious search for groups at low levels to finish your epic quest line^^

-The trait system is very nice. Do certain types of things and get deeds. Then you can assign these as Traits (passive abilities).

-Questing is very nice. I keep skipping content like a madman and constantly have new stuff.

-I know of people who have played until 60+ without paying a cent to Turbine so I quess you can say that the Turbine shop isnt that necessary.

-And the World! Without a doubt the most amazing ingame simulation of a phantasy world ever made. Lots of sublime experiences. Want to experience Lotr world first hand? Go for it^^

Bad things:

-you need to throw them another 20euros for the treble expansion pack if you want the whole zhiiibauzi. This at level51 only tho.

-and another 20euros for Riders of Rohan.

I have payed the subscription tho.

If got interested, I think Google is your best friend for guides. Heres is one to get you started with:

http://www.lotro-guru.com/lotro-leveling-guide.html

Comments

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

The world and the quests in it are absolutely well done. I haven't intently played it since Mirkwood, but the game fell short for me on some areas.

The trait system could have been a lot better. I don't like the fact  that you have to grind mobs to get basic features of your class. I believe there should have been a more direct way and polished character development system. It felt very discouraging to know that some of my elite traits required rep grinding. I could understand armor or weapons requiring that, but not basic character related achievements. I personally believe character development should be directly tied to the leveling process. 

You can by without paying a lot and earning it through the game. Personally, the free to play system really left a bad taste in my mouth. I was playing before it and really saw how much they charge for every little thing. This is by far the worst feature of the game. 

If you like Middle Earth, roleplaying games, and PVE, this is a great game. This game has some very strong points, a very friendly community, and a wealth of content to explore. I hope you enjoy it.

• MustarastasMustarastas Member UncommonPosts: 79

I am level58 now... Heres some reflections on my journey so far:

Negative:

- The Expansions seem abit like a rip off. The game costs as a whole almost 80 euros.

. The Lotro store offers things that boost your gaming quite a lot. Legendary slots, passive attribute enhancements, additional bags, improved wallet etc etc. Again I feel that Turbine is making more money via f2p from players that actually want to play this game than they would in normal p2p.

Positive:

- I have been really sucked into the Middle earth for 2 weeks now. I have had great fun, and wittnessed thousands of virtual mircacles landscapewise.

- Unlike in previous reply to my original post - I feel that the deeds/traits are nice addition to game. I havent grinded deeds at all so far, and have been able to play without trouble. Also, you dont get deeds only from grinding mobs nowadays, but you also get them from finishing quests, exploration, from reputation etc etc.

- Dont even get me started with the Legedanies. The system regarding Legendaries is just insanely complex, and require some brainwork so that you understand the Legacies, the relics, the gems, the runes, the crafted relics, the tiers, the ranks, deconstruction of Legendaries, levelling legendaries, refining them, melding them, reforging them and so on.

- Its nice to get turbine points from achievemtns/deeds. I have been able to buy some important things already with just playing.

Overall

I feel that the game is not a f2p game at all, but rather a quite expensive game to play. However, I have had great fun exploring the middle earth and have had a lot of sublime scenery experiences.

Rating 9/10 for until level 58.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

there is no doubt in my mind turbine have done a great job with the world  and the story..i guess some people will complain they wanted to play a creep in the real world not just pvp.but to me that would go against everything that the game stands for..for 1 the story was never told from the creep point of view so it would have to be made up..which i dont think many fans would have appreciated if they did that.

the only complaint i would make against the game is the sheer lack of interest they have in the pvp side of things.it would have been nice if they made an effort for the guys that love pvp..although i dont do pvp myself it would have brought a few more subs in if they did it right..but all in all a fantastic game that i have thouroughly enjoyed since its release.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I have always ignored the game simply because it was lord of the rings and I was never a huge fan having read the books when I was younger.  However with the current release of the hobbit I decided to watch the trilogy and give the game a go.  this is the first game ever where I have just stood there and looked off into the distance and had been like "wow they really got this right".  I even got a friend to start playing.  First game that actually immerses you in my opinion and I am not even really a fan of pve.  It is just that good in my opinion
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    I have always ignored the game simply because it was lord of the rings and I was never a huge fan having read the books when I was younger.  However with the current release of the hobbit I decided to watch the trilogy and give the game a go.  this is the first game ever where I have just stood there and looked off into the distance and had been like "wow they really got this right".  I even got a friend to start playing.  First game that actually immerses you in my opinion and I am not even really a fan of pve.  It is just that good in my opinion

I am returning as well and this time I hope to max out a toon. I played a long time ago before the F2P and only got up to around level 30 back then. However me and a friend saw The Hobbit and he just bought a new PC and is now downloading the game. He has never played a MMO before so I figured this would be a good game to start on as it is good at sucking a player in and is not to fast paced or anything. Hopefully you are able to play most of the game for free with only spending a little cash at the end, though that is probably not true. I guess I am a "Premium Player" when I check my account, and am not sure what that means. I also purchased the game and Mines of Moria back when I played so hopefully I still have access to those zones. 

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• CuningasCuningas Member UncommonPosts: 48
    If you bought something for real money in the past or today, you are a Premium. If you are a former subscriber, you have almost all your previous little thingies in your account. Premium has more stuff than pure F2P.

The chart is somewhere in the Internet, look from Allmighty Google for that.

I personally recommend Mithril Edition for new players, it gives four quest packs (Moria's being one of them!), 2000 Turbine Points and a mount. Possibly something more too. It was just recently on sale in Gamesopt, costing little over 7 euros (less than 10 dollars). 2000 TP cost around 20 dollars, so buying Mithril Edition for it's normal price (15 euros, lil more dollars) is a great deal.

I have that and Triple expansion pack, so I have quests to all the way to the lvl 75... When I get there, I think that I can find Riders of Rohan on sale by then.

I don't know if you can see this link below (and you maybe need forum account?), but there's quite good guide for spending money in LoTRO:

forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?492268-How-to-maximize-your-return-on-investment
  • clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    A friend of mine got me the RoR expac for a late christmass gift, and aside from the normal bugginess you get with new content it's well done, Probably one of the best expac's I've seen. Mounted combat is interesting, and I love the changes they made to Moria.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

LOTRO pros:

-The game world.  As others have said its wonderful.  Tolkien may deserve a lot of the credit, but so does Trubine for doing Tolkien justice.  

-The depth of the classes.  This is *very* deceptive and not readily apparant.  Someone mentioned about grinding mobs for traits, which isnt really the way to do it...You just exp or group as normal and use your abilities.  The trait system gives different ways to play the classes and th LIs take it even further.  The Legendary Items are very muhc a part of class depth and you dont get tot hem until Moria.  On the surface LOTRO seems shallow, but its not

-Epic (Book) Quests.  Great for lore/story fans.

-The community.  If you consider EQ2/WoW the start of the second generation of MMORPGs, than the LOTRO community is right up there with VG and EQ2 for best community of the second gen MMORPGs

LOTRO cons-

-the cash shop.  Subscribers will likely have to pay some on top of their subscription.  Things such as shared bank space (at least the initial set of it) and xp lock option are standards, and should be free to subs.  Stat tomes creep a little too much towards p2w territory, there is certainly some slippage on the slope.

-slayer deeds should be toned down a little.  I dont mind a little grind, but this can get excessive.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Mustarastas

. The Lotro store offers things that boost your gaming quite a lot. Legendary slots, passive attribute enhancements, additional bags, improved wallet etc etc. Again I feel that Turbine is making more money via f2p from players that actually want to play this game than they would in normal p2p.

some of this stuff is permanently unlocked once you sub for a month, but some of it subbers have to pay also.  The improved wallet is awesome, but why isnt it free to subbers?

The only positive is quite a bit of the cash shop is account wide.  yes, upfront its a lot to puchase the quest packs and expansions and wallet and bags, but once you do it, you are done.

Just ignore the passive attribute enhancements.  Get rich my selling lootboxes and keys, then just buy em from other players.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

of course its expensive. free 2 play is supposed to give cash to the company in someway and they try to target a broad audience. The power level, the lore seeker, the crafter, end game raider and so on. 

thanks for the review. keep writing about your jpurney. you have the best expansion pack infront of you (ror) while mom was really fun and ranks second by me.

edit:oh and subsribers are getting some Turbine points each month. so that they can buy those things someone said to be confused over. A  good way to rationalize some consuming options :)

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.