Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I must be missing something

Ok for the most part I'm very glad I picked up tsw when it went b2p. I'm having a great time with investigations and the skill wheel. I just have 1 issue/complaint. What kind of supercomputer do you need to have to run it with decent looking graphics?

I can run gw2 on max settings and get 35-40 fps in most areas, more if I tune my settings down just a little. I consider gw2 to have very respectable graphics. However, if i run tsw on the lowest settings possible I barely get 35 fps. Am I missing something?

Comments

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by clun7

Ok for the most part I'm very glad I picked up tsw when it went b2p. I'm having a great time with investigations and the skill wheel. I just have 1 issue/complaint. What kind of supercomputer do you need to have to run it with decent looking graphics?

I can run gw2 on max settings and get 35-40 fps in most areas, more if I tune my settings down just a little. I consider gw2 to have very respectable graphics. However, if i run tsw on the lowest settings possible I barely get 35 fps. Am I missing something?

There are a LOT of possibilies why this is the case as you cannot simply compare TSW to GW2 in terms of GFX performance on a given system unless said system is bleeding edge.

If you are running TSW with DX11 I'd suggest that is where you should start first, meaning try it with a lesser version of Direct X.  If I recall correctly you can choose which client you wish to run.

• clunningclunning Member Posts: 25
    I'm actually running it with directx9 already. It really doesn't make sense to me.
    What are your system specs?  TSW tends to be more GPU intensive while GW2 is a lot more friendly in that department but then in turn demands more from your CPU.
    I have an amd a6 quad core oc'd to 2 ghz, 8 gb ram, and dual gpus. One is an ati radeon hd 6650m  which is oc'd and the other is an ati radeon 6520g, it's integrated. With both I get 2gb of video memory.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Very odd, my wifes CPU is over 3 years old and it ran very well on it, and mine is certainly not high end, with a 450 GTS gfx card and I had no problems...They did have some problems with direct x for certain people, would of thought it would be fixed by now, but maybe not?

I really did like the game though, just so much went into all the missions and backgrounds, it is hard enough to keep a standard themepark current, let alone one that they put so much into, content is their biggest problem, but what they have done, I think was great.

I have an amd a6 quad core oc'd to 2 ghz, 8 gb ram, and dual gpus. One is an ati radeon hd 6650m  which is oc'd and the other is an ati radeon 6520g, it's integrated. With both I get 2gb of video memory.

If you are running a crossfire setup with those two there is a known problem with integrated/dedicated xfire setups.  Turn the integrated off and try it out if you haven't then report back.

I also just noticed you said 6650 "m" which leads me to believe you are talking about a laptop version.  Not to knock your system but if that is correct you are literally operating on the lowest of the low in terms of what one would consider an entry level gaming card for laptops.

Not that I live by synthetic benchmarks but they are at least a decent gauge of what performance you could expect:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+6650M

Yeah, it's a laptop I'm away at school and I left my desktop at home. I'm aware it's not cutting edge machinery, but if I can run gw2 on very high/full specs surely I shouldn't be having so much trouble with tsw. I'll disable the xfire and post back with the results.
    Yeah, it's a laptop I'm away at school and I left my desktop at home. I'm aware it's not cutting edge machinery, but if I can run gw2 on very high/full specs surely I shouldn't be having so much trouble with tsw. I'll disable the xfire and post back with the results.

It's quite possible you are seeing the increased performance in GW2 specifically because it takes more advantage of your CPU while, as I previously stated, TSW is fairly GPU bound.  A quick search on Google will confirm this.  Such as the following:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=193746

That said this link MIGHT help you:

http://www.rage3d.com/articles/gaming/funcom_secret_world_tweak_guide/

Originally posted by miguksaram

It's quite possible you are seeing the increased performance in GW2 specifically because it takes more advantage of your CPU while, as I previously stated, TSW is fairly GPU bound.  A quick search on Google will confirm this.  Such as the following:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=193746

That said this link MIGHT help you:

http://www.rage3d.com/articles/gaming/funcom_secret_world_tweak_guide/

It's not that I doubt what your saying, I am just a little confused. I tried turning of xfire and it didn't really seem to help. I checked my CPU usage and it never reached above 60% load on all 4 cores. My gpu also maxed at 82% load. And that was with max setting on. I'm now noticing that I get about 25 fps with everything maxed out except for shadows. Any idea as to what is going on? How am I sitting at 35 fps when my gpu and my CPU aren't even at max load?

You can easily reach peak performance for a given hardware setup LONG before you ever max the hardware itself.  That is due to the limitations of the software programming.  If you are experiencing low FPS the first place you want to start is shadows (assuming you have already turned down antialiasing of course).  Then reduce view distance and so on and so forth until you find an acceptable level (which may not exist depending on the system).

Just to clarify, GW2 WILL max your hardware (100% usage) if you don't limit the max FPS.  While technically that should be true for any game on the market most software simply doesn't allow for it.  GW2 on the otherhand will and thus if you comparing GPU/CPU usage of GW2 to TSW that is once again an area that isn't a fair comparison.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

if I can run gw2 on very high/full specs surely I shouldn't be having so much trouble with tsw.

What fail logic.

gw2 is not very complex graphicly, at the very least that statement should be the other way round.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

if I can run gw2 on very high/full specs surely I shouldn't be having so much trouble with tsw.

What fail logic.

gw2 is not very complex graphicly, at the very least that statement should be the other way round.

Seems like a matter of opinion to me. Care to elaborate? Or are you just here to be unconstructive and critical?

i guess I'll just continue to mess around with the settings. Shadows definitely have the biggest impact on my fps, so I have them turned down. Everything else is on moderate/high settings. Directx9 seems to perform much better as well, and changing my xfire settings helped. Do you know if they intend to fix the issue with xfired graphics?

The APU+GPU "Hybrid" xfire is for the most part a gimmick that hasn't received much love from AMD.  In some cases, usually those that only benefit from low GPU needs will actually benefit at all from the setup, some systems even suffer from it.  Now that I think about have you tried GW2 without xfire?
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Your 8gb ram work only if you use 64bit windows. If not you need to assign 3gb for applicatons and 1gb for windows or the game will lag as hell and even crash.
  • korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

What's wrong with 35 fps? The human eye doesn't discern much past 24 fps (which is a very basic way of describing what your tv used to run at). Is it possible that the stutter and flicker is not graphical, but back-and-forth connection, memory access, etc etc

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Nitth

What fail logic.

Seems like a matter of opinion to me. Care to elaborate? Or are you just here to be unconstructive and critical?

i guess I'll just continue to mess around with the settings. Shadows definitely have the biggest impact on my fps, so I have them turned down. Everything else is on moderate/high settings. Directx9 seems to perform much better as well, and changing my xfire settings helped. Do you know if they intend to fix the issue with xfired graphics?

TSW is far more technologically advanced and more demanding on the hardware than GW2. I'm not sure what were your expectations, but the comparison is just way off. 

REALITY CHECK

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by korvass

What's wrong with 35 fps? The human eye doesn't discern much past 24 fps (which is a very basic way of describing what your tv used to run at). Is it possible that the stutter and flicker is not graphical, but back-and-forth connection, memory access, etc etc

That's a myth. Human eye can percieve much higher FPS. Human eye, in fact, can see differences even between 50 and 60 FPS. This is an article that has a good explanation of how it works.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_5.html

REALITY CHECK

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123

tsw is SOE right?  ill just throw in that with eq2, they banked on cpu's getting faster, not GPU's.. 

thats why, in modern pc's, they actually run eq2 slower than machines 5 years ago since the clock speed on the cpu was higher, regardless of the gpu.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Originally posted by Legere

tsw is SOE right?  ill just throw in that with eq2, they banked on cpu's getting faster, not GPU's.. 

thats why, in modern pc's, they actually run eq2 slower than machines 5 years ago since the clock speed on the cpu was higher, regardless of the gpu.

Ah, TSW is run by Funcom, not soe.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Originally posted by Legere

Ah, TSW is run by Funcom, not soe.

thanks for the correction :)

funcom ? Age of conan? that game was freaking awesome!  and looked great.

More to the point, FUNCOM has almost always released games that not only pushed the current technology at time of release of a new game but was typically badly coded thus much like Crysis 1 would kill systems specs that it shouldn't have.  Now don't get me wrong, this is NOT the case with regards to the OP's system but rather just a general observation of all FUNCOM MMO's to date.
  • Kemosabe-TBCKemosabe-TBC Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by miguksaram

There are a LOT of possibilies why this is the case as you cannot simply compare TSW to GW2 in terms of GFX performance on a given system unless said system is bleeding edge.

If you are running TSW with DX11 I'd suggest that is where you should start first, meaning try it with a lesser version of Direct X.  If I recall correctly you can choose which client you wish to run.

Actually chosing a lesser version of DX will probably have no impact, it may even lessen your performance. Assuming you don't turn on any of the special DX11 effects of course, tesselation has a huge impact on performance.

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

OP, while in game go to video settings - > advanced and tune down "Effects" to 3.8

Since max is 4.0 you won't see any difference graphics wise but fps will jump back to normal levels and no stuttering anymore.

• SwobyJSwobyJ Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by SanHor

OP, while in game go to video settings - > advanced and tune down "Effects" to 3.8

Since max is 4.0 you won't see any difference graphics wise but fps will jump back to normal levels and no stuttering anymore.

THIS

It's so weird, but it makes a difference.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

Funcom don't do performance in any way shape or form in this instance quad core is probably a hindrance and not a help.   If you expect a Funcom game to follow the normal performance rules then don't.  

In essence if something like Guild Wars 2 works fine, then I wouldn't worry too much about your machine. If you accept the fact that Funcom's game engine is just performance unfriendly then low settings and 35 fps isn't that bad.  You may get small benefits from tweaking a few options, but if you are not careful your pastime will become tweaking options and not playing the game.   As most options don't work as expected that can be a very long time. 

My advice if your other games perform well, just take a Funcom game as an anomaly.  Performance has always been an issue with their game engine and it's totally unfriendly to a lot of ATI cards.