Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Impressions

PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

I am only a couple hours in, so bear with; these are my first impressions.

First, I have several criticisms:

1) The download

1.7 GB doesn't sound bad, but it does take a while at between 2-3 kbps.  Once the updater installed, I had to go through a number of large patches that took up almost half the day.  I was able to run several errands before coming back to find the game was finally ready for launch.  This is a commitment in an age where there are games I could play in my browser and games that have "rolling downloads" that install only parts of the game I will have access to at the beginning, etc.  The wait is the main thing; not a huge issue, but I thought that I would point out it is a commitment.

2) The UI feels cluttered.  A lot of real estate on my screen is taken up by what look like empty inventory / ability slots.  I want to see more of the world, which to me is the 3D environment.

3) Graphics feels somewhat dated... not a huge issue, but I definitely noticed some rasterisation on the tree outside the Gene Replicator in the starting area.

Now that that's out of the way;

The game did a great job of making it feel like there was a lot going on, and that I was taking my first steps into a huge world.  The player-housing is a very nice touch.  Kind of "Blade Runner" meets "The Matrix".  I had 5 emails I had to check when I first got to my apartment unit.  It was kind of funny that I had to wait to get to my apartment to check my emails, but that's another story.  I spoke to a guy who looked a lot like Morpheus who said I had to steal some data for him, and that I had 3 days to do so (nice touch!).  I took a look at the world map; there's definitely a giant, gritty world out there.

I didn't get into any combat right away, and that kind of has me worried; I know there's a chip or something I can take out to participate in PvP, but I had no indication of what said PvP would involve, only a warning that I would probably get Pwned unless I was in a clan.

I had the chance to step inside the Hacknet, which was an appropriately trippy experience.  It looked like something out of "Tron", the original.  I'm looking forward to seeing what else I can do there.

The UI is definitely going to take some getting used to; I just wish it was... smaller, more minimal.  It's almost as if the devs are hiding what there is to see from me.  2 hours in and still no combat, which is disappointing because I've heard Neocron virtually pioneered the FPS MMORPG genre.  Otherise the game feels moody, atmospheric; like I stepped right into a Cyberpunk novel or a movie by the Wachowski brothers.

/2c

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Comments

• apcyberapcyber Member UncommonPosts: 12

Hi, nice to read that someone tries the game. I'm playing actually too and you are right with this "no pvp" thing.

While your LE ( Law Enforcer ) is in you cant attack anyone and cant get attacked, but its good so.

You would only get crushed by anyone. The world in PvP is rude. You will find help anywhere if you ask but if someone sees a target thats an easy kill, the most people will kill it. Like... you would expect in a Dark Future World :D

The interface is fine once you get warm with it.

Hope you play more and enjoy it!

• supavinzsupavinz Member UncommonPosts: 15

remember me when i started NC almost  years ago... i was fascinated by this world, it took me several months to learn how to play but was so enjoyable (no tech haven site for helping ^^)

with a clan its awesome the war for conquering OP's give an unique PVP style never seen this in other games.

i play again since GM's team is on the game and its still best game i ever played

this game really diserves more players

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by supavinz

remember me when i started NC almost  years ago... i was fascinated by this world, it took me several months to learn how to play but was so enjoyable (no tech haven site for helping ^^)

with a clan its awesome the war for conquering OP's give an unique PVP style never seen this in other games.

i play again since GM's team is on the game and its still best game i ever played

this game really diserves more players

It is the best Cyberpunk game out there.  And it is a pretty decent sandbox on top of that.  

I love Neocron2, I discovered it after the orignal Face Of Mankind servers died back in 05.   I wished I hadnt lost my old character.  

So much crap, so little quality.

• RabbiFangRabbiFang Member Posts: 149

I can help you with the HUD. Drop me a PM, I'll send you the modified HUD I use. 

Don't worry, total legal to change it :)