Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft's IllumiRoom Concept Makes Your Living Room Terrifying

firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Microsoft is no rookie when it comes to experimenting with new gaming technology, as they've spent over two years trying to convince us that Kinect is a thing worth owning. Based on a new tech demo video showcased at Samsung's CES keynote, they're working on a new display-based accessory that incorporates the gamer's living room.

I'm no expert on display technology, but it appears that the IllumiRoom accessory makes it so a whole bunch of crazy crap gets shined all over your walls. The video below showcases flames erupting out of the side of the television, city streets and other backgrounds scrolling by on the room's back wall, and assorted particles flying all over the entertainment center's drawers and shelves. 

According to the official Microsoft Research YouTube page, this video is a real time demonstration. A thread on NeoGAF is currently speculating that the tech may be related to this patent

No details regarding a potential retail release were discussed, but the Microsoft Research site says that more info is coming in late April at the CHI 2013 conference in Paris..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=re1EatGRV0w

Comments

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    buy a projector. set a screen thats too small for it. same affect. looks distracting.
  • scooby1971scooby1971 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I agree wih Theutus on this one. 
  • CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I remember there being a product like this it was called "adaptive ambient lighting" or something....It worked on DX games and it would light up the stuff based on the light on your screen o.O

Edit : nvm after watching the vid, the products are compeltely different.  this is just a projector rofl

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

ive seen tvs like this that cvast lights to the sides as a peripheral vision thing.  this just seems to take it one step further.

however, what are the GPU costs on this, effectively your rendering a scene for a massive resoloution, teough you can only see the central bit clearly on your screen.,

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    My god that looks messy and annoying, like a bad disco ball in your living room.
  • LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409
    The ONLY way this will work if is you have your room set up with only a "borederless" LCD and special wall paint made for HD projection devices. I would totally do it if they gave you an option to add side and back projection as well. I mean how cool would it be to see not only what's in front, but looking to your left and right, looking behind you and seeing whatever the in game terrain is as your flooring. It would be like having the closest thing to Start Trek's Holodecks. But right now it isn't practical, would obviously NOT have the options mentioned, and I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    All those picture frames and shelfs make it look so crappy, if I was gonna go for this id paint the wall my TV was in front of a dark color and have nothing else there but the TV.
  • TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162
    Bleh, eye-sore.

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Theutus
    buy a projector. set a screen thats too small for it. same affect. looks distracting.

Ah, so there are projectors that can have the user interface centered in a much smaller area than normal while having a large viewing area for the game world on an Xbox game?

Cool.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.