Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR: EA executive "we gonna outsell WoW".................

2»

Comments

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152
    Originally posted by ste2000

www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/24/wow-is-the-target-with-the-old-republic-says-lucasarts-and-ea/

I know Bioware+EA+Lucas has to be positive, but to me they are slightly deluded.

This game is never going to go even close to WoW.

It will be a success, but it doesn't have the "addiction" element WoW has (ES: Epic gear grinding in BGs and Raidinf).

Quite frankly the way I see it is that SWTOR will be a single player game wsith MMO function, which means that yo will be able to meet other players in the same world, but 80% of the game will be focused on you and your story, cutting out other MMO elements.

Don't get me wrong I will be the first to buy this game, since I am a fan of Bioware games, but my approach will be more like buying Kotor 3 rather than Kotor Online.

I will "beat" all the PvE in few weeks like I do normally then I will move on to another game, I don't think I am gonna subscribe for long to this game.

How could you POSSIBLY know how addictive this game is going to be?

Tecmo Bowl.

• pain2scarspain2scars Member Posts: 39

www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/24/wow-is-the-target-with-the-old-republic-says-lucasarts-and-ea/

I know Bioware+EA+Lucas has to be positive, but to me they are slightly deluded.

It will be a success, but it doesn't have the "addiction" element WoW has (ES: Epic gear grinding in BGs and Raidinf).

Quite frankly the way I see it is that SWTOR will be a single player game wsith MMO function, which means that yo will be able to meet other players in the same world, but 80% of the game will be focused on you and your story, cutting out other MMO elements.

Don't get me wrong I will be the first to buy this game, since I am a fan of Bioware games, but my approach will be more like buying Kotor 3 rather than Kotor Online.

I will "beat" all the PvE in few weeks like I do normally then I will move on to another game, I don't think I am gonna subscribe for long to this game.

Just as the great and mighty Roman Empire fell, so be the same fate for Blizzard's precious WoW as well. Will SWTOR be its Successor? It may or may not be. But who are you make a pre-mature judgement in saying the it will not even come close. Can you predict the future and outcome of all events to take place, even in the gaming industry? I believe not, my friend.

Have a nice day!

• shadenisshadenis Member Posts: 217
    Originally posted by tkreep

I think it will since there are more star wars fans on the world than there are warcraft fans and especialy if they put it on consoles too which I think they will since a lot of kotor fans and now TFU fans are from consoles.  Plus they said the combat is going to be like a console action game instead of the standard combat thats in most mmos.

I do not hate this mmo , i am a bit curous what this mmo is gonna be but about EA or anyone else saying WOW killer or we can sell more then WOW has a lower IQ then 10

May i ask you mate what your IQ is  and did u even started shool to begin with.

Please use your common sense!  Tolkien books has more fans then WOW.  I am sure conan also has millions of fans. But what are the mmo's? OOPS? Of yeah. niche...

What is the old republic gonna be..... yeah niche....

-----------------------------------------------------------
    the old days, the days of gold.

representer of euhporium, shade/amity , high member of the council.

played

UO,M59,EVE,L2,AC,GW,WOW,LOTRO,SWG pre cu/nge,COH/COV, VG,TR,L1, POTBS,Neocron 1 and 2, DAOC pre TOA and age of conan

playing: EVE ONLINE
    Waiting for Earthrise, FE, bioware mmo, guild wars 2, DFO , mortal online , the chronicles of spellborn

• shadenisshadenis Member Posts: 217
    Originally posted by pain2scars

Just as the great and mighty Roman Empire fell, so be the same fate for Blizzard's precious WoW as well. Will SWTOR be its Successor? It may or may not be. But who are you make a pre-mature judgement in saying the it will not even come close. Can you predict the future and outcome of all events to take place, even in the gaming industry? I believe not, my friend.

Have a nice day!

Fanboism. The core of stupidism.

One sentence my dear friend.

Blizzard just makes another mmo, there next gen mmo which will just set another circle and makes the circle new again.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    the old days, the days of gold.

representer of euhporium, shade/amity , high member of the council.

played

UO,M59,EVE,L2,AC,GW,WOW,LOTRO,SWG pre cu/nge,COH/COV, VG,TR,L1, POTBS,Neocron 1 and 2, DAOC pre TOA and age of conan

playing: EVE ONLINE
    Waiting for Earthrise, FE, bioware mmo, guild wars 2, DFO , mortal online , the chronicles of spellborn

• pain2scarspain2scars Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by shadenis

Originally posted by pain2scars

Have a nice day!

Fanboism. The core of stupidism.

One sentence my dear friend.

Blizzard just makes another mmo, there next gen mmo which will just set another circle and makes the circle new again.

Fanboism? Who said anything about being a fan? I am not necessarily a fan of either. Please read my post again. I was just implying that it is pre-mature to think, before SWTOR is even released, that it wont even come close to touching WoW. That was all I was stating. I could care less if it does or does not. Do I believe one day, WoW will fall to another game out there to come? Most certainly I do. To which MMO it will be, no one knows.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

So when this game goes live and don't deliver the 10 millions players LA will force bioware to change the game, again, you know, like with SWG. Ha ha ha maybe this time they force bioware into transforming it to a sandbox, this way the circle will be completed.

Damn, what greedy people, they just see money money money.

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

Originally posted by Kriss

it doesn't have the "addiction" element WoW has.

Holy crap! You've already played the game?!?! I mean how else would you know what elements are in the game and if they are addicting or not?

I don't mean to troll and I understand the chance that it my just be phrasing...But I couldn't pass up the chance.

The key is "Story Driven".........if you know what it means you will know that doesn't involve months grinding epic gear in BGs or Raids......................

Sounds like grinding and raiding is all you care for m8..   good luck with that but i hope and i'm sure many others do too that raiding and grinding aint included in this game..

• VashnerVashner Member Posts: 58

Didn't AoC have a bigger launch sales number?

I know the WOW expansions are what really broke records. Just sayin.

But if it's a GOOD game and they don't go nerf happy they can do it.

If they have a thight QA where you don't put something in game and have to patch it out. That's the biggest problem of mmo's going under.. Earth & Beyond.. AOC.. etc..

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93

At least something good for a laugh. The OP's post nailed it too.

And the EA folks statements are classic

"LucasArts online boss Tom Nichols concurred, saying that the firm is banking on The Old Republic’s storytelling component to bust through WoW’s 11 million subs record."

"“Our goal is to show that by bringing storytelling to the genre that we can attract an even wider audience."

Have there ever been a more incorrect design/statement in a mmorpg yet ?

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by MMOdad72

And the EA folks statements are classic.

"LucasArts online boss Tom Nichols concurred, saying that the firm is banking on The Old Republic’s storytelling component to bust through WoW’s 11 million subs record."

"“Our goal is to show that by bringing storytelling to the genre that we can attract an even wider audience." 

While that statement by LucasArts obviously ended up being false, was it really necessary to revive a five year old thread just to post that?

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

And the EA folks statements are classic.

While that statement by LucasArts obviously ended up being false, was it really necessary to revive a five year old thread just to post that?

I think it's an excellent thing to show just how deluded , incompetent , and all around "wrong" EA/Bioware was and is with SWTOR. They believed story-telling would put them past 11 millions SUBS for a mmorpg.

I'd prefer that every developer of mmo's in the future go as far away as possible from the SWTOR route , and nothing wrong with showing a before and after of the situation.

Was nothing but facts shown here , EA saying they would beat WoW in subs because of the story telling , less than a year after it's F2P.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Originally posted by Robokapp

i think it's important more developers get a small peak at "before and after" their delusions manifested in the form of a big-budget MMO.

It'd be difficult for him to have posted it 'back then' because of the fanboy apocalypse.

I think swtor will be an important case study for what not to say and what not to do when what you'll deliver is just so-so.

I think it's an excellent thing to show just how deluded , incompetent , and all around "wrong" EA/Bioware was and is with SWTOR. They believed story-telling would put them past 11 millions SUBS for a mmorpg.

I'd prefer that every developer of mmo's in the future go as far away as possible from the SWTOR route , and nothing wrong with showing a before and after of the situation.

Was nothing but facts shown here , EA saying they would beat WoW in subs because of the story telling , less than a year after it's F2P.

Fair Enough.

• erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306

As it now stands, SWTOR is a piece of crap and WoW is no better. You can choose either one and you'd lose either way. Neither game is worth playing.

Actually, there's nothing out worth playing. Nothing!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

What I am saying is that developers cannot ceate thousands of hours of interesting storyline it is just not possible, you need that ampunt of hours if you want to keep a player paying a subscription for years.
    What I am saying is that SWTOR will be more or less like Kotor 2, but in a massive world.
    The story will run out eventually so the interest of the players.

Of course is my opinion, but from the information around the web, it looks like it is just a KOTOR 3 with MMO elements, rather than a real MMORPG.

Give this man a cupie doll.  image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

What I am saying is that developers cannot ceate thousands of hours of interesting storyline it is just not possible, you need that ampunt of hours if you want to keep a player paying a subscription for years.
    What I am saying is that SWTOR will be more or less like Kotor 2, but in a massive world.
    The story will run out eventually so the interest of the players.

Of course is my opinion, but from the information around the web, it looks like it is just a KOTOR 3 with MMO elements, rather than a real MMORPG.

Give this man a cupie doll.  image

Give that man a piece of paper so he can write down my lottery numbers.

This discussion has been closed.