Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could a grind mmorpg be what's missing from people's lives

RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259

I ask this as i have played most of the new mmo's over the last 12 years but the one that held my attention was Anarchy online

it had a serious grind lvl 1 to 200 was ok then Shadowlands came out and grinding to lvl 220 took ages, but even tho it was a grind i had fun lvling from 1-220 and i played it on and off for about 6 years.

I find all the new mmo's center around geting to max lvl asap then you just pvp or raid but the character progression has stoped and i think its the character progression that keeps me wanting to play and not some new armor skin,

i still played AO even after i hit lvl 220 but by that time i had good friends ingame + had a sense of accomplishment with that character,

dont get me wrong max lvl is great but somtimes the journey is beter than the destination.

Ps: i also got to AI lvl 24

Comments

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    I have a feeling you'll get that when ArcheAge comes out. Asian MMO's are typically full of grind.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

If getteing to max level is too fast I would replace grind in your suggestion with an XP / day. . skill gain / day limit.  Something like that would push people to spend time doing other things or they could still grind for loot if they wanted.

I think the answer to fast level gain is to just not have levels.  People need to feel like they are advancing or they just get bored.

The reason it gets boring with leveling in theme park games is because the animals / monsters for your level are only in select zones etc.  You can't "explore" while you kill stuff.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I think the life part is what's missing from most of the complainers lives. They have way too much time to worry about what games are doing...or not doing.

All games are a lot more fun when they're just games and not the focus of your day.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    @DamonVile Amen to that.
  • RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I think the life part is what's missing from most of the complainers lives. They have way too much time to worry about what games are doing...or not doing.

All games are a lot more fun when they're just games and not the focus of your day.

very true i play TF2 if i just want a quick fix but if i want a game i can sink hours into then there is not much like AO was

• RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Originally posted by Etherignis
    @DamonVile Amen to that.

so both of you have fantastic live's ? if so why you here ? looking for a new mmo to sink some time into :P

ps i am only taking the P...  casual mmo's are good and all but i want somthing bigger

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Current MMO's are all about grinding out end game for mionor gear twinks which is just depressing and gets boring fast...so the grind is still there.
  • EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

So you are assuming that people who actually have specific tastes, needs and wants from their MMOs are asking to much because their lives are somehow worse than someone who takes what hes given because hes got more exciting things to do during the day?

Because someone lives the life of a billionaire when it comes to their MMO they choose to accept whatever is offered to them because they don't have time to think of what they need?

There are a LOT of stupid posts on this site but this one takes the cake. Because someone stops and evaluates the kind of MMO he wants or needs he suddenly needs to rethink his life and the way he organizes his day? Do you apply this same mentality to other things. "Hmm food isn't the focus of my day, I'll stop questioning what I really enjoy and simply begin eating whatever is put infront of me".

This kind of post reminds me of guys who loudly announce that they are screwing their girlfriends later on that day, or that they spent a bunch of money or got promoted, seeking validation in their own lives by stating how other peoples lives somehow suck.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Enerzeal

So you are assuming that people who actually have specific tastes, needs and wants from their MMOs are asking to much because their lives are somehow worse than someone who takes what hes given because hes got more exciting things to do during the day?

Because someone lives the life of a billionaire when it comes to their MMO they choose to accept whatever is offered to them because they don't have time to think of what they need?

There are a LOT of stupid posts on this site but this one takes the cake. Because someone stops and evaluates the kind of MMO he wants or needs he suddenly needs to rethink his life and the way he organizes his day? Do you apply this same mentality to other things. "Hmm food isn't the focus of my day, I'll stop questioning what I really enjoy and simply begin eating whatever is put infront of me".

This kind of post reminds me of guys who loudly announce that they are screwing their girlfriends later on that day, or that they spent a bunch of money or got promoted, seeking validation in their own lives by stating how other peoples lives somehow suck.

This is exactly what I was refering to :) Things become so exaggerated to people here, that the smallest thing becaomes a life threatning issue.

It's one thing to pick and choose your games or want some aspect of it changed. It's another to spend that day complaining that all games are terrible and life itself is empty because there are no mmos that are good anymore.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

No.

The Millenium called, it's asking you to stop bothering the Evolved people and come back to 10 years ago where everything was boring.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Lightspeed leveling with poor endgame is the big problem.

Whatever happend to hard content, the feeling when you got when actually survived an encounter and you really felt good when you dinged.

I'm not only talking about forced grouping that I do like but not all the time, things should be soloable but should not be so easy that you can drink beer and watch TV while playing like most western MMOs these days.

Grinding do add another factor to all this aswell which I think adds another way to level and chill with friends like we did in EQ, and no I hated boss spawn camping in that game, more often I was to drunk to even help my group when he finally spawned lol.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I'd rather "grind" than jump quest hub to quest hub and follow some terrible linear story path.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

If getteing to max level is too fast I would replace grind in your suggestion with an XP / day. . skill gain / day limit.  Something like that would push people to spend time doing other things or they could still grind for loot if they wanted.

I think the answer to fast level gain is to just not have levels.  People need to feel like they are advancing or they just get bored.

The reason it gets boring with leveling in theme park games is because the animals / monsters for your level are only in select zones etc.  You can't "explore" while you kill stuff.

I don't think that work. I believe FF 14 had a limit on xp or some such thing and players complained that they couldn't work on their character. I know wouldn't like that.

though I do believe in levels to a point perhaps an alternate advance path that was meaningful would help. I also agree with your last statement.

Personally I like the grind but I also want more meaningful things to be included such as sieges or world events or "something" where I can use my power and be effective.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434

People are getting to max level way to fast in the current theme-park style mmos.

Here's some irony for you:

A number of years ago there was a huge shift away from level grinding to make it more (if not totally) quest based leveling.  This was the beginning of the short journey mmos where players could level from 1 to 50 in 3-4 months tops (usually a month).  The developers of these games needed a way to now extend the life of their games for these players so they instituted dailies and gear tokens.

The irony is that developers never actually did away with the grind, they just shifted it to the back end of the game.  The big question is where would the gaming community rather have their grind?  During the journey from 1 to 50, or with repetitive dailies at end game?

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Lightspeed leveling with poor endgame is the big problem.

Whatever happend to hard content, the feeling when you got when actually survived an encounter and you really felt good when you dinged.

I'm not only talking about forced grouping that I do like but not all the time, things should be soloable but should not be so easy that you can drink beer and watch TV while playing like most western MMOs these days.

Grinding do add another factor to all this aswell which I think adds another way to level and chill with friends like we did in EQ, and no I hated boss spawn camping in that game, more often I was to drunk to even help my group when he finally spawned lol.

This!

Hard content! 1 to end game has NO hard content these days. Only Tera really changed that up this year with their BAMs, which are a lot of fun, really entertaining. Give me BAMs and force me to group up and I would be a happy bunny from 1 to end game. But in all honesty what I see in your post is EQ all the way.

I remember Crushbone castle, I compare every great grouping experience to Crushbone castle.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by DMKano

No

Anything else to say is just giving the details to that answer.

• steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434
    Originally posted by Enerzeal

I remember Crushbone castle, I compare every great grouping experience to Crushbone castle.

This or Blackburrow =)

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

They tried that in FFXIV.   It didn't sit too well with players.

I don't know if allowing players to explore would help or not, but my own opinion is because these games are too easy.  If they don't provide a challenge every step of the way how will any player gain a sense of accomplishment?   

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by thinktank001

They tried that in FFXIV.   It didn't sit too well with players.

I don't know if allowing players to explore would help or not, but my own opinion is because these games are too easy.  If they don't provide a challenge every step of the way how will any player gain a sense of accomplishment?   

Through comparison to others. At least that my understanding of the thought process behind a grind game. 

Time = Power.

People are attracted to the idea of spending time to gain power over others. Challenging gameplay isn't necessarily required to keep a person interested. The more ridiculous the grind, the more exclusive the power. It makes people feel more unique which can often be just as attractive as overcoming some obstacle for many.

On a side note, I don't personally like the "grind" type games.