Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your favorite Bethesda Softworks game?

Comments

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Very good question.

I've been sitting here for the last 15 minutes trying to decide and I really can't.  I enjoyed them all equally.  They're all great games.  They'd been even better with a good combat system.

Imagine Skyrim with a fighting system as titillating as Chivalry Medieval Warfare's.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Considering Skyrim is the only game from Bethesda that I could stand playing for more than an hour (and put in about 150 or so), I'm gonna say that.
  • EleazarosEleazaros Member UncommonPosts: 206

In order:

Fallout 3

Fallout NV

Skyrim

Oblivion

Fallout felt more comfortable with an interesting story to it.  NV is second only because the story you follow through on seems less engaging.  In version 3 it takes you from birth through it all. 

in NV, it takes you through a more typical "shot in the head, regain memory" gig where you forgot how to survive in a world you've supposedly been traveling through for a long time.

Skyrim had the feel of an MMO "standalone mode".  Everything an MMORPG has only on your own.  Not bad but ...

Oblivion was interesting but rather it just felt more linear than the above 3 as how I felt going through it.  Again, not bad but the above ones seemed more engaging.

The fun part:  I really don't regret playing any of them at all.  No "waste of time" type feel to it.  Some games I've gotten are disappointments - this is more trying to pick a best choice from best choices.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Voted Skyrim. Didn't like how they consolized certain things in it, but it had a much better atmosphere than Oblivion. Also I greatly prefer the leveling system in Skyrim as it actually makes sense and isn't as easy to gimp yourself accidentally.

Fallout 3 doesn't even belong on the list. That game was in an insult to any true fan of the Fallout franchise, IMO. Thank goodness Wasteland 2 looks to be shaping up as a proper post-apoc RPG.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567
    It's a tie between daggerfall and morrowind for me. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

What no Call of Cthulhu fans out there? its not even listed.

Then again there is a small population of people who got it to work without crashing at every save.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    oblivion and skyrim are a bit tied for me, but their 'both' my favourites, though it was daggerfall that first drew me in to Bethesda's games, although Fallout 3, nearly put me off of them it was so bad. Perhaps the reason why they are my favourites, is because you don't have to stick to the storyline, you can totally ignore it and play your own game even, which, if you enjoy exploration, is a huge thing, though in those terms, Oblivion has the 'edge' one game im definitely not looking forward to though, is TESO, pretty sure that a while back Bethesda stated they would never do an MMO, can't say i blame them, Zenimax are probably going to have a job and a half persuading people that their attempt is in any way (other than a few naming policies) related to the Elder Scrolls..image
  • LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Skyrim followed by Fallout 3
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

For those that like Morrowind. These two mods are rather well known and improve the game a lot

Morrowind Overhaul (makes the graphics look WAY better)

and Tamriel Rebuilt (adds as much land currently, as there is in vanilla Morrowind. Though it is still a work in progress...but there is still a lot of content to do. been in development a while. Right now they have developed 3 maps, and I think there is 5? left...or maybe 2 left? in any case...still lots to do)

There is also Morrowind Rebirth which is pretty popular and it overhauls the game, but I like how Morrowind is and Morrowind Rebirth probably isn't compatible with Tamriel Rebuilt and conflicts with morrowind overhaul.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• MeriliremMerilirem Member Posts: 77
    The technical side got better but morrowind was just so wonderful, if they made a game like that without the obvious little kinks and today's tech, again without the obvious kinks of oblivion and skyrim, it would be magnificent.

If a butterfly learnt to speak, to live in human society, paid its bills, had a job, lived in a fancy house and married a human, is it human?

Now what if that same butterfly knew how to write code better than any human and had years of experience in the game industry, would that make it a game designer?

If u wouldn't let a construction worker design your house, then why let a programmer design your world?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Morrowind.

I'm playing it now along with skyrim.

It's amazing to see the two side by side, graphics not withstanding, as clearly morrowind is a more deliberately slow game. But one refreshing (if that can be used for an older game) is that in morrowind I needed to kill 4 Telvanni agents that were north/north west of Caldera. In a cave.

And that was what I was given.

I discovered quite a lot while searching for that cave.

In Skyirm there are no such directions so you have to rely upon the little "V" mark.

Still, the atmosphere and visceral combat is really amazing in Skyrim.

I did like oblvion quite a bit but it's not as good as the previous two.

I would love to be able to play daggerfall but every time i start it the age/combat doesn't grab me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    I like Skyrim and Morrowind equally. Oblivion was great too but I got burned out on it because of being super hyped for it. I think I like the music from Oblivion the most.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I have sunk many hours into all of them

My most played so far is Oblivion , quickly catching up with skyrim time played tho. Fallout 3 was a great game but did not grab me as much as oblivion or skyrim.

Overall great games, have gotten more than my moneys worth on every title.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Skyrim was my favourite, however I really wish they would update their interface. I am really tired of their Health Mana Stamina bar. I wish they would use some more innovative shadow costs in their games instead of rehashing the same thing with a different skin.
  • sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Skyrim > Morrowind > Fallout 3 > Daggerfall

for me :)

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Oblivion and then Fallout 3. The few that I know that did not like those games the most never discovered the modding community that made them 2 of the best games ever made.

Heck, there is a mod that brought almost ALL of Morrowind to Oblivion, the land, NPCs, quests...Oblivion is a beast with the right mods...same with fallout 3. Hell, someone created a mod for fallout 3 that added a gathering system that also allowed you to build your own towns/forts with NPCs, defenders and allowed you to set up monster attacks on it.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    I wish they would go back to some of what they were trying to do with Daggerfall, the massive world, the randomized content, and all that.  I remember them trying to sell their new and improved "handcrafted" content in Morrowind, and even more so in Oblivion, and now that it's all been said and done, it's just been a huge step backwards.. but they keep moving more and more in that direction, anyhow.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• WackywackyWackywacky Member Posts: 3
    Tried only morrowind and oblivion. Unfortunately these games are not made for perfectionists/optimizers. Havent been able to finish either game without getting bored after 10 levels of painstaking optimizing (like jumping for an hour and such idiotry) and then being massively overpowered. Tried several times but i just cant stop myself from doing this :( Both games would be marvelous if they didnt have this fucked up leveling system (i know, its me whos fucked up, not the system)
  • SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by Rayshe

What no Call of Cthulhu fans out there? its not even listed.

Then again there is a small population of people who got it to work without crashing at every save.

Mm, loved what little I got to play of it. But it kept crashing every 10 mins, so I gave up.

And for the record people NV was made by obsidian not Bethesda afaik.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

I just lost my entire post.  It was wordy and I'm not retyping it.  So I'll just say Morrowind wins.  Better casting, finding items was more intersting because they weren't leveled to you and you might find something awesome behind a rock.  Stealing mattered, and there were awesome enchanted items to be found, (like the boots that made you run fast, but blinded you.  The boots of blinding speed, lol)

My favorite thing, however, was this.

I could kill someone, and basically steal their house.  I could decorate that house.  Items didn't have physics, and that was great because it meant that you could point and a spot, and drop something there, and it would stay there.  I had candles lining my stairs, skulls mounted on shelves.  My buddy made an entire fort of pillows.  Items that won't sit still are a headache, and the fact that you cannot simply PLACE one makes me mad in skyrim.  I have to drop it at my feet, slowly pick it up, tiptoe around wobbling it like a child, and pray to god that when I finally set it it won't roll three rooms down the hall.

You didn't need "secure chests".  That inn you just wiped out was yours.  You didn't have to worry about the game resetting your loot you hid in the inns barrels.  You could sleep in the beds, "ownership" wasn't a thing.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    one of these threads where you need to say the oldest game that compnay have made just to be cool.
  • EspionEspion Member UncommonPosts: 62

I like all of them. Dagerfall was a great game also.  I still have my copy of it. 

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

My favorites were Wayne Gretzky Hockey and Hockey League Simulator 2.

Morrowind and Oblivion are pretty sweet, not played enough Fallout 3 yet and still have not played Skyrim.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    I know this list is more upto-date/modern but I just wanted to say I always loved Magic and Mayhem back when I was in my teens during college, it was a fun game imo.

imageimage

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287
    Originally posted by m0lly
    one of these threads where you need to say the oldest game that compnay have made just to be cool.

Nah thats just silly.  I couldn't get into Daggerfall.  I mean, its was too large and most the space wasn't anything at all.  Most people are going to say Morrowind because of how perfect the design of that game was.  The reason we've lost many of those elements was because Bethesda was trying out new tech for AI and the stuff was getting process heavy and making development time longer.  So we have more "alive" NPCS in a smaller world.  Skyrim really refined that element by adding repeat quests to keep the game moving even after you've done the fluff.

If you did a side by side list of what each game had going for it, Morrowind probably sits at the top of the pile for a variety of things.  Technology just cannot be awesome enough yet to do all the things Bethesda wants to.  Plus they wanna keep changing things up so we don't start feeling like we are playing the same game over and over.  Which is wise.  I just lament what we've lost is all.