Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Banned

AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

I recently came back to DCUO and I've been enjoying my short play times in the game, it's so different from everything else out there.

So I logged in at 0520 am for a little play time before work, created a new character and had 40 mins, I got back from work and thought to myself I'd carry on with my new character to suddenly get the message "Account Banned etc etc etc" so I log into the tech live service, I'm 11 in the queue with an average wait time of 19 mins, 1 hour later (yes I was amazed at how off their average wait time was aswell, and the odd fact that I seemed to be queue jumped every so often aswell) I get to speak to a SOE rep, he asks for my name and then proceeds to ask whats the prob.

So I tell the guy "I've been banned, no email to clarify why, pls can you tell me" he responds I've been hacked and I've incurred a 3 day suspension, I'm ofc shocked as I just very recently did a clean install after buying Win 8, I've all security measures activated and I've had no problems with any other MMO save SWTOR which for some reason believed I was using a different PC, I put this down to me upgrading to Win 8, but other than that no probs.

Now on further questioning he tells me apparently I've been using 3rd party programs, now I've been a customer of SOE's since 1999 when I purchased EQ1, hand on heart (yes I have one) I've never used a 3rd party program, on further questioning to find out what they believe I'm using the rep tells me all he knows is I'm suspended/hacked and thats final, I ask "so when i come out of this suspension, and I haven't been able to find this 3rd party program, will this mean I will then get suspended again" he responds with "Thanks for contacting SOE with your conerns, I hope we have been able to help blah blah etc".

Basically I was banging my head against a brickwall, I was suspended and no matter what I did to find out the route cause of this suspension I was not going to change the outcome.

I'm just amazed that they could be so heavy handed and give ne real concrete reason why, and how to resolve the issue, this is the first time on all my years I've had the misfortune of dealing with a completely inept rep, I wanted to reach into the monitor and throttle some sense into the guy.

Comments

• Arcondo87Arcondo87 Member Posts: 94
    this game still exists?
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Arcondo87
    this game still exists?

It did for me up until about 2 hrs ago.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Do you use the same password for the game as you do for websites such as this one?
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by bliss14
    Do you use the same password for the game as you do for websites such as this one?

No I do not, I know I have not been compromised, thats not the issue, my issue is that I have to accept that SoE believes I am for some reason using a 3rd party program therefore they have suspended my account for 3 days, they offer no proof, they offer no details as to what I'm supposed to be using I just have to accept that they are right and I am the offending person.

What is frustrating is it was like talking to a brick wall, I was guilty in this persons eye becuase his screen said so, end of story, yet how come after playing this game off and on since it went live have I suddenly been flagged up as using a cheat program, when one obvious answer might be the fact I just upgraded my OS to win 8 and lo and behold other MMO's I have used suddenly tell me "You seem to be using a different PC to login" surely this would have needed some investigation at their end, just to eliminate one possibility.

Oh well no matter, I was still using up the free time awarded after SoE got hacked earlier this year, I was going to resubscribe but I think this little experience has served as a reminder at how SoE believes they are always right and the customer is wrong.

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274
    Something doesnt sound right here. You can tell if you been hacked but more importantly I hear some people are glitching or using 3rd party macro progams to get a spam effect on their attacks. Not sure whats up here but certainly you wouldnt have been randomly selected to be banned for no reason. 
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

If you did not change your password since you got a new password or you use a common password used for everything, I can see how you got hack. That being said, its hard to say anything about this. There are always 3 sides of the story and we only know yours. No offense but it makes it quite hard to believe just cause you say you were not using a 3rd party program does not mean its true. We would need to see SoE side as well since they can easily tell the IP to see if its the same one connecting. If those 3rd party programs were in place on your IP, it could mean you either had something running that interfered with the game (probably less likely) or most likely you were using a 3rd party program for some sort of advantage.

Again, we don't know the full story so consider it a bit harsh,  but I can't exactly go about believing what someone says either, from how you safe guard your account to the use of a 3rd party program. Accounts are not just randomly banned in a great majority of the cases and a reason is used to do just that.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646
    Soon as you say "SOE" you know it's an epic fail no matter what.  That company is the worst POS, second only to EA (maybe).
  • PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by Purutzil

If you did not change your password since you got a new password or you use a common password used for everything, I can see how you got hack. That being said, its hard to say anything about this. There are always 3 sides of the story and we only know yours. No offense but it makes it quite hard to believe just cause you say you were not using a 3rd party program does not mean its true. We would need to see SoE side as well since they can easily tell the IP to see if its the same one connecting. If those 3rd party programs were in place on your IP, it could mean you either had something running that interfered with the game (probably less likely) or most likely you were using a 3rd party program for some sort of advantage.

Again, we don't know the full story so consider it a bit harsh,  but I can't exactly go about believing what someone says either, from how you safe guard your account to the use of a 3rd party program. Accounts are not just randomly banned in a great majority of the cases and a reason is used to do just that.

Who cares if you believe him, he just came here to vent his frustration.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by Arcondo87
    this game still exists?

I bet you thought long and hard for about 45 minutes for something clever to say before giving up and stealng that gem that has been posted in every MMO thread in existence.