Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I decided to try out LOTRO the other day but why must I download 16.9GB of data when the game is hig

Comments

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

The current ISP may the only choice the OP has, unfortunately.

It's not an unreasonable request. EQ2 and WoW are much the same, and they both allow you to play once the initial portion of the game has been downloaded, and then continue to dynamically load stuff in the background as you play. It's certainly not a bad idea for LotRO to consider something similar.

<3

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184

1. get a real net.

2. dumbest whining reason i've ever seen.

3. devs can't read minds to tell which content you have and wich not.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by DancingQueen

I have a wireless internet connection with a monthly limit of 20GB though I can buy extra in 1GB and 10GB increments but why am I forced to download all of the content when I don't have access to it?

Not a smart move by Turbine and needless to say I quickly cancelled my download of the game.

I hope that Turbine wise up in the near future and only prompts to download the content that the free player has access to and not all the friggin 16.9GB.

This really just seems like a not-so clever way to complain about LOTRO free-player restrictions.  If you feel the game is too restrictive to free players, why not just say it?  Arguing that the game (that did not launch F2P) should build in tools that only download free content isn't a terrible idea but how do we know for SURE that you have the full assets at 16.9 GB?  Compared to many modern MMO's games, 16.9 GB isn't outrageous at all.  Even WoW requires 25GB (according to the system requirements page).

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• tv2zulutv2zulu Member UncommonPosts: 73

I'm sorry, but if you have a 20GB(!) cap on your monthly download, then you shouldn't be downloading games.

As others have said, you can play the entire main story as a free player. Your restrictions are more mechanic-based.

• SkavenapsSkavenaps Member UncommonPosts: 67

ok stop that nonsense.

First, LOTRO offer a lite game client (600 mb) its on the download page of the game.. not that its hidden.

Second, OP came, uninformed and rude. Next time be more polite and dont call peeps trash, and maybe, and just maybe, you get a sooner answer.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    This thread proves that gamers must always have something to complain about.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I have a wireless internet connection with a monthly limit of 20GB...

o.0

• Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154

News flash, most games make you download the whole client + patch before playing. 

BTW your forum avatar is really annoying.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I have a wireless internet connection with a monthly limit of 20GB though I can buy extra in 1GB and 10GB increments but why am I forced to download all of the content when I don't have access to it?

Not a smart move by Turbine and needless to say I quickly cancelled my download of the game.

I hope that Turbine wise up in the near future and only prompts to download the content that the free player has access to and not all the friggin 16.9GB.

Why are people all over the OP? It's a valid question, which someone, it appears, finally answered in a helpful way when they mentioned the lite client....34 posts in.

For those trashing on the ISP, perhaps you should re-read it? A wireless internet connection is most likely Satellite internet or 4G, which would explain the very low cap.  So....get off your high horses, because you're the ones coming across as ignorant.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Takes 10/15 min to download or something ? whats the problem :P ?

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    The real story here is that is some sad Internet service.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well it was not like the OP was all that humble either, so DQ pretty much set the tone of the thread.

That being said i fully understand the OP's frustration (having grown up during the Dial-Up modem era) and i think the adaptation to 3/4G or non flat-rate will get better.

That being said there are ways around this. Like using friends computers or finding a open network that does not have a limiter set.

This have been a good conversation

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Skavenaps

ok stop that nonsense.

First, LOTRO offer a lite game client (600 mb) its on the download page of the game.. not that its hidden.

Second, OP came, uninformed and rude. Next time be more polite and dont call peeps trash, and maybe, and just maybe, you get a sooner answer.

More like OP came, we were all rude to OP and then OP were rude back (what a surprise) and I can't find any 600MB client so Turbine must have hidden it well but I don't care about this game anymore, I will play TERA and have fun tonight.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Skavenaps

ok stop that nonsense.

More like OP came, we were all rude to OP and then OP were rude back (what a surprise) and I can't find any 600MB client so Turbine must have hidden it well but I don't care about this game anymore, I will play TERA and have fun tonight.

No you took posts crtical of your ISP as an attack against you.  Go back an re-read this thread and you will see where the personnal attack is.  Bottom line you received an answer which might not be what you wanted to hear, but its the answer.  It's up to you to figure out how to get it downloaded.  

• C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365

If you don't understand how the game works then that is your fault. There isn't a stand alone client for just F2P players, you play  on the same client along side the rest of the LoTR population. So thus you MUST download the whole game or else it wouldn't work. This is also done to make you want to subscribe or buy coins. Honestly, if you want to try mmo's out today most of them are now free to play, but you might as well just pay the $15 and upgrade to a full subscribed account and access all the game has to offer. It's the only real way to get a sense if you will enjoy the game. Don't tell me you can't afford to spend $15 either, if you can't  afford that you prob should not being spending time on a game anyway.

I just started playing SWTOR 3 days ago and I already subscribed. You are so limited with free trials that it makes most games unenjoyable to play. 

• pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by tawess
    Originally posted by kevjards
    i,m lost..you should be d/loading the full game at once..it might take a few restarts but it should all install at once really

the OP is angry that  s/he have to download the full game to do the free trial stuff...

But if i am not completley wrong i think  you can do pretty much all of the original game as a free player so you would have  amassive download any way.

As for the reason, weill it is simple. The idea is that you will like the game and become a member and they do not want you to have to sit and wait for a few hours once you do the lead.

It is pretty simple.

Well it's stupid to be forced to download the entire content at once when you could download the expansion content when you have access to it as many people like me has a limit on how much data they can download each month.

Well you are not the majority when it comes to the MMO player base.  You blaming this on Turbine is childish, so lets say they let you download 1gb and then you liked the game are you still going to blame Turbine because you can't play a game you now like because you have some piss poor internet provider? 

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by pioneer08
    Originally posted by tawess
    Originally posted by kevjards
    i,m lost..you should be d/loading the full game at once..it might take a few restarts but it should all install at once really

the OP is angry that  s/he have to download the full game to do the free trial stuff...

But if i am not completley wrong i think  you can do pretty much all of the original game as a free player so you would have  amassive download any way.

As for the reason, weill it is simple. The idea is that you will like the game and become a member and they do not want you to have to sit and wait for a few hours once you do the lead.

It is pretty simple.

Well it's stupid to be forced to download the entire content at once when you could download the expansion content when you have access to it as many people like me has a limit on how much data they can download each month.

Well you are not the majority when it comes to the MMO player base.  You blaming this on Turbine is childish, so lets say they let you download 1gb and then you liked the game are you still going to blame Turbine because you can't play a game you now like because you have some piss poor internet provider? 

I'm not sure why everyone is attacking the OP so much about this. Yes, the ISP part is a pain. But WoW, EQ2, and others all allow streaming installs that allow you to play after a small base amount which is exactly what the OP needs.

<3

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Dancing Queen, you have to understand that while some companies like Blizzard do have such options, to play their game with partly downloadable content, it requires A LOT of developement and is very costy to the company to implement. I'm quite sure that Turbine simply realized that the developement cost isn't worth losing whichever number of costumers with limited bandwith who could party download their game and probably buy it, after trying it for free.

Moreover, it's only logical that costumers who are cheap enough to pay for a limited internet package will be just as cheap with their game and will most probably either play only the free content, without ever buying anything or will only buy the cheapest mininal deal possibe.

If you look at this situation from a business point, I bet you'll understand Turbine quite well.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by sudo

Dancing Queen, you have to understand that while some companies like Blizzard do have such options, to play their game with partly downloadable content, it requires A LOT of developement and is very costy to the company to implement. I'm quite sure that Turbine simply realized that the developement cost isn't worth losing whichever number of costumers with limited bandwith who could party download their game and probably buy it, after trying it for free.

Moreover, it's only logical that costumers who are cheap enough to pay for a limited internet package will be just as cheap with their game and will most probably either play only the free content, without ever buying anything or will only buy the cheapest mininal deal possibe.

If you look at this situation from a business point, I bet you'll understand Turbine quite well.

Although the rest of your points are valid, keep in mind that not everyone has access to anything other than a "limited internet package".

As I've stated before in threads such as these, I, too, have limited access. I now have a whopping 27gb/mo package! Before that became available, I had to use a cell modem and had a 5gb/mo limit. Not trying to whine here, but some people need to realize that Comcast doesn't exist everywhere.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

=/

Tera's system req. page says you need 25GB free for the download (not counting the unpacking/install)... Probably more now. As you've likely learned already (unless you're trolling ofc), games pack a bit more oomph these days. Hell, back in 2008, I remember downloading 30+GB for AoC w/o any patches/expansions, so the LOTRO package is actually a pretty good deal.

Some comparisons (though, admittedly, it could change depending on method of download/compression): The Secret World: 33GB client, SWTOR: 27GB client, GW2: ~25GB client.

As worlds get bigger, graphics get better, and expectations rise, your ISP cap will become more and more unreasonable.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Like other have said.. get better internet. Trying to blame Turbine for this problem is disgusting. Not every game was designed with a streaming client in mind.. or capable of being converted to one.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by SwampDragons
    It's turbines fault your internet supplier sucks?

This, and LotRO's F2P isn't that restrictive at all honestly. There's a lot of content to buy of course, but there's a lot of content you have access too as well.

You can travel anywhere, gain TP via deeds and tasks, you can put 5 or 7 bucks here and there and buy quest packs as you progress in the game at your leisure. It's free to download and you're bitching it's taking too long? 

MAN I really want to go to Chicago, but it's a long drive or flight. Guess I won't then. Problem solved.

a yo ho ho

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Highly restricted? I think LOTRO has more free content that most MMOs. It has had so many expansions, so of course the game by now is large. *shrug*

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Man stop crying. You dont have to pay for this game if you dont want to. Remember nothing in ife is free except an ass whooping and death oh and water depending where your at in the world. Turbine has it set up for you to win either way. 

Edgar F Greenwood

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by versulas

=/

Tera's system req. page says you need 25GB free for the download (not counting the unpacking/install)... Probably more now. As you've likely learned already (unless you're trolling ofc), games pack a bit more oomph these days. Hell, back in 2008, I remember downloading 30+GB for AoC w/o any patches/expansions, so the LOTRO package is actually a pretty good deal.

Some comparisons (though, admittedly, it could change depending on method of download/compression): The Secret World: 33GB client, SWTOR: 27GB client, GW2: ~25GB client.

As worlds get bigger, graphics get better, and expectations rise, your ISP cap will become more and more unreasonable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD