Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the character customization?

ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176

Been reading some reviews, is this a true sandbox like the old star wars game? How is it like Eve other than off line character progression? Can I play the game without fighting?

Thanks for the replies and happy weekend!

Comments

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

I'm digging this game a lot right now but one of the  features I feel is sadly neglected is character customization, which is a big thing for me. The character customization is pretty horribad and, in my opinion, your gender doesnt even matter since the men look like school girls in this game (all with long, girlish hair for the most part). That being said, it is more robust than some other options on the market.

Don't go into this game expecting SWG reborn, though. The game has a ton of sandbox features, more than you can shake a stick at, but in the end it just has sandbox features. You are not going to find a plot of land anywhere you want and build up your own store/house whatever. But the world does feel genuinely lived in and exciting, and from what I understand there is player housing/guild housing, but I haven't seen it yet so I am assuming it's instanced.

Also, the translations are pretty much a step below google translate, so be prepared to be scratching your head and trying to figure crap out on your own because the game's tutorials more or less just waste your time. I've still barely scratched the surface of what the game has to offer and it feels like every day I am doing something new. Just try to not get stuck into the powerleveler's grind that so many guys are doing (TP, school spy, and instances nonstop) or you will hate the game fast, like a friend of mine did. The game has time-based progression like EVE, just let it run and enjoy yourself.

EDIT: And yes, you could do nothing but craft and sell your wares if you were so inclined.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

Yes character creation is quite limited. But you can get more customization option in game, through clothing and 'hairdos'.

For example, my shaolin, once reached lvl 5 of Meditation, received a shaolin monk suit and I can wear that at the same tiemeas my normal clothing and choose which one to show (the monk robe is cosmetic but it changes a lot the way I look, starting with the shaved head)

Basically, don'tget too hung up for how your character looks at creation as you will have some options to alter your looks

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Very little customization in terms of character appearance. The real individuality is how you build your character over time with different scripts, but that is combat based.

While I'm not sure about housing, you can set up a stall to sell your wares most people like to set up in Chengdu city as it's become the defacto trading hub.

And it is very easy to play the game without fighting - you might have to kill the occassional mob depending on your profession. I don't imagine a leatherworker/Huntsman could get by without killing anything. Sometimes you'll have to clear out a couple mobs to get an ore vein.

But other than that, if you want to be a crafter you can. You can even be a snobby crafter and be a painter/musician and do that as your only craft.

You can only do one manufacturing craft, but you can pick up all of the other side crafts and gathering roles.

• ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176

Thank you all for the replies. I've noticed in Asian games that initial character customization is more limitied (typically, and only from what I've seen and I'm no expert by far). I wonder why that is? Is it a cultural thing? But anyhow, if you can customize your character through clothes that is just as good.

I think I will give it a try when it goes live. Thanks for taking the time to answer me.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

You can own land and build forts for your clan which you can live in, so their is structure building in the game.

As for CC, well you have to take into account what this game is based on and it's history. Take the two elite schools that are so hard to learn one even ulters your apperance and you have to go through a long castration period.

Once you have gone through it your apperance is forever changed.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/372269/Castration-24-Hour-30-Decrease-Movement-Because-Of-The-Pain.html

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Edit: Thought the OP was talking about visual customization.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I have not played very much compared to many here, so my take on this is from very limited playtime.

I was real happy with my initial appearance when i created my character, and my looks have been altared quite a bit through finding several chests in the wildnerness, that were chock full of appearance changin items like wigs and stuff (with stats)

Some of these changes i have liked, others I didn't like.  But there's definitely options :)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Hair styles during CC is limited and no body sliders.  Everything else is a "center dot square slider." In game hairstyles are tied to your head piece. Imho the face CC is good, but I had 0 problems with TSW CC sooo.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    The face slider reminded me of how customizable Aion was. The rest reminded me of how customizable WoW was.
  • Sky427Sky427 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by ashleymorrow

Thank you all for the replies. I've noticed in Asian games that initial character customization is more limitied (typically, and only from what I've seen and I'm no expert by far). I wonder why that is? Is it a cultural thing? But anyhow, if you can customize your character through clothes that is just as good.

I think I will give it a try when it goes live. Thanks for taking the time to answer me.

The reason for that is, the asian market players will generally shell out a little extra to look pretty. So to make sure you pay for something they give a few okay styles just to get you going then they put everything else in the cash shop. People will pay to make their avatars prettier, this is a fact exploited by asian developers.

Also the game is effectively live, its just for now unless you purchase the delux edition you are limit on your play time.(Which is important for character development since that is infact tied to time logged in if you are not a VIP player.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    So this castration is part of the male customization do you look different after it. For females is it loss of virginity but the males seems harsher somehow.

Originally posted by kitarad
    So this castration is part of the male customization do you look different after it. For females is it loss of virginity but the males seems harsher somehow.

I seriously thought the 'castration' was just a typo. Lose virginity? Really?

The castration comes from learning a really powerful skill that can only be cast by eunuchs, but it also changes your apperance.

It's nothing to do with CC.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Kidnapping and being sold into prostitution too. All game mechanics.

It's interesting for sure. http://www.ageofwushu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2686

Welcome to 1300's China, it's a harsh world. 

Do you know what a eunuch is and what it intails?

You don't lose your penis, you have your nuts cut off.

If you come across anyone who has been castrated then you know they are seriously powerful and have put a lot of work into learning that skill, it's an immense achievement .

OK, well that is kind of a deal breaker, thank you for the info. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

If you come across anyone who has been castrated then you know they are seriously powerful and have put a lot of work into learning that skill, it's an immense achievement .

but on the other hand, they don't have any balls.... image

tbh, the whole idea of that is more than a little cringeworthy.. image

Originally posted by Phry

but on the other hand, they don't have any balls.... image

tbh, the whole idea of that is more than a little cringeworthy.. image

This isnt Tyria or Norath or SWTOR lol, it's ancient Ming Dynasty China, it's brutal.

I wonder if you found Lord Varys in The Game Of Thrones as cringeworthy.

It's obviously a game that has elements of historical accuracy and that is totally cool, not bashing the game it's just not my cup of tea. 
    It's obviously a game that has elements of historical accuracy and that is totally cool, not bashing the game it's just not my cup of tea. 

So you don't like Game Of Thrones, books or series?  Plus i don't think me or you will ever see that skill, it takes an immense amount of time and kills.

I would rather keep my nuts and spend my time getting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W4PtsmJTQg

So you don't like Game Of Thrones, books or series?

Person 1: I don't like castration and loss of virginity as a character customization option to become more powerful in my video games.

Person 2: You must hate Game of Thrones. There is a eunich character in Game of Thrones.

/facepalm

Originally posted by colddog04

So you don't like Game Of Thrones, books or series?

Person 1: I don't like castration and loss of virginity as a character customization option to become more powerful in my video games.

Person 2: You must hate Game of Thrones. There is a eunich character in Game of Thrones.

/facepalm

I'm asking what he thought of Game Of Thrones, it has all the things you hate.

Did he have a problem with game of thrones, that's all i'm asking?

Video game, book or film, you dislike it in all or you don't.

Did he stop watching or reading Game Of Thrones when he came across these things he dislikes?

I don't think he needs you to answer for him.

Age of Wushu is no Game of Thrones.

We are not talking about whether Age Of Wushu is Game Of Thrones, anyone with any sence can see they are not the same film, book or game.

The characters are different, in fact anyone who actually thinks Game Of Thrones is really Age Of Wushu is blind.

What made you think Age Of Wushu was really Game Of Thrones?

We are not talking about whether Age Of Wushu is Game Of Thrones, anyone with any sence can see they are not the same film, book or game.

The characters are different, in fact anyone who actually thinks Game Of Thrones is really Age Of Wushu is blind.

What made you think Age Of Wushu was really Game Of Thrones?

Pfft. lulz.