Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SL Mob HP

fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

Anyone else feel like the HP on the new mobs is too high?   Seems like Trion is trying to slow down the 50-60 leveling process by simply giving mobs a ton of HP but not actually making them more challenging in terms of combat. 

Unfortunately, this doesn't offer much in terms of engaging game play, it just makes carnage quests boring and way more time consuming than they should be IMO. 

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

No. I like mobs that hit hard and take a while to kill. Just my preference though. Im sure at 60, ill be facerolling trash mobs just like before. But for now, its a nice change of pace.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    Originally posted by Foomerang

No. I like mobs that hit hard and take a while to kill. Just my preference though. Im sure at 60, ill be facerolling trash mobs just like before. But for now, its a nice change of pace.

The problem is that the mobs don't necessarily hit hard, they just take a while to kill which offers very little in terms of engaging game play or challenge. 

Originally posted by fat_taddler
    Originally posted by Foomerang No. I like mobs that hit hard and take a while to kill. Just my preference though. Im sure at 60, ill be facerolling trash mobs just like before. But for now, its a nice change of pace.
    The problem is that the mobs don't necessarily hit hard, they just take a while to kill which offers very little in terms of engaging game play or challenge. 

Must be the class. They hit my mage like a mac truck. I use a lot of cc in my rotations while solo questing to stay alive. I like it.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    No I like the mobs having high HP.  It makes you keep on your toes a little more than just grabbing 5 to 10 mobs and AoEing them down.  With my DPS build on my Cleric its not hard to make them die fast with 2.5K DPS. 
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by danwest58
    No I like the mobs having high HP.  It makes you keep on your toes a little more than just grabbing 5 to 10 mobs and AoEing them down.  With my DPS build on my Cleric its not hard to make them die fast with 2.5K DPS. 

Hgh hp mobs that are easy, just time consuming, is a lousy mechanic.  

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I was fooling around the other day with a cleric (druid) who was more or less a fresh 50, never set foot in a dungeon or in EI.  I found Pelladane easy, just time consuming.  Im assuming once geared it wont take as long.  but I did feel where the op is coming from, Rift is a VERY GCD spammy game and when the mobs take longer to kill it really can make the combat a chore without a fear of death.  

Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Foomerang No. I like mobs that hit hard and take a while to kill. Just my preference though. Im sure at 60, ill be facerolling trash mobs just like before. But for now, its a nice change of pace.
    I was fooling around the other day with a cleric (druid) who was more or less a fresh 50, never set foot in a dungeon or in EI.  I found Pelladane easy, just time consuming.  Im assuming once geared it wont take as long.  but I did feel where the op is coming from, Rift is a VERY GCD spammy game and when the mobs take longer to kill it really can make the combat a chore without a fear of death.  

Yeah the starter zones are easy. Later zones, mobs run in packs, do various effects, cc's etc. Nothing really hard at all. But I have died a few times from not watching cast bars, aoes, or group aggro.

I dont care for carnage quests. They clutter my quest log. The only decent thing about them is that they pretty much complete themselves while running IAs. Which brings up the question; whats the point? Yeah its nice getting a couple extra stones and some bonus xp, but it doesnt feel like I accomplished anything. The nature of kill quests I guess. Uninspiring to say the least.

But I do like the mob hp and difficulty in the later zones.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    Grab a partner in the zone.  Two people will kill them way faster and be more fun.
  • AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

Anyone else feel like the HP on the new mobs is too high?   Seems like Trion is trying to slow down the 50-60 leveling process by simply giving mobs a ton of HP but not actually making them more challenging in terms of combat. 

Unfortunately, this doesn't offer much in terms of engaging game play, it just makes carnage quests boring and way more time consuming than they should be IMO. 

Both my cleric and mage kill all regular mobs in 5-10 seconds when I fight same level. DPS builds of course.However, the  tank build for my cleric needs 1-2 minutes to kill those same mobs. In other words, solo play in Rift strongly favours dps builds.

It takes one to know one.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I thought this at first when I first played the start the SL When I got to about level 55 though it kinda went back to normal..? The percentage increase from vanilla to SL mobs is pretty big.. but the relative increase between mob HP from 50-60 mobs isn't as big a percentage.

All depends on your build though.. maybe you have more survivability than you actually need? If you have a build where your health never goes below 5% due to some form of self/automatic healing, try moving some more points into DPS choices and see how it works out.

Like a Cleric that only uses inquisitor for the self healing from Vex.. try dropping that and adding something like druid and shaman together. Adding combined strike and massive blow into the same rotation can increase your overall DPS by about 25-50% depending on your other choices.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Just hit 59 with my mage. My harb can take on 3-4 level 60s at a time. takes about 15-20 seconds to take them down. I visit lower level zones when farming mats and I absolutely demolish everything without taking much damage at all. Im wearing all quest and crafted gear.

I healed a couple dungeons as chloro and its rough. lotta undergeared players makes for interesting boss fights. pretty fun. nice change of pace. but Im sure it'll be faceroll in a couple months, even experts.

• odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162

Yep they have too many hit points at 50.  It's pretty jarring when the quest mobs in the old lands have sub 10k hp at most then you're hit with 24k hp mobs when you land in SL.   The problem is the gear you get for questing doesn't help as much as it should.  

People saying "oh it makes it harder, I like a challenge"  really confuse the issue.  It's not harder, just more time consuming.  It's offputting and makes people quit.  Rift is an awesome game in my opinion and shouldn't do anything to chase away new players and/or returning vets.   

The person I play with and I landed in SL at 48.  We weren't one-shot. Just took like a minute for us to down one mob.  The mobs don't hit any harder, or have better AI, they just have too many hit points.  

I was like "oh shit, it's ok...when we hit 50 and get the gear it will even out."  Didn't happen.  It got easier yeah,  but made my partner get bored with the grind so it's back to just me playing alone.  

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    first ime i encountered a few mobs i ran right in expecting to lay waste to all of them.i was wearing really good gear and i got obliterated..i laughed my socks off and thought about time they did this.the expansion mobs HP is spot on..rush in at your peril lol.the mobs dps is well lets say high..but within a couple of lvls and when you change your gear is evens out..still tough but it evens out.
  • fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    Originally posted by Alyvian
    [mod edit]

What a lame over simplification of my OP and some of the subsequent replies.

The point I was making was that the mobs in SL aren't very difficult, however they do take significantly longer to take down due to the huge jump in HP.  In my opinion, this was a lazy way to slow down the leveling process without adding any challenge to the fights.

After a couple of levels of mostly carnage quests involving these abnormally high HP mobs, it gets pretty old.

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

no it was exactly what the op was complaining about, mobs in the old continents only took seconds to kill at this point due to a whole bunch of nerfs/overgearing everything that was around there at the time.

Neither of these things has happeened yet in the new area to any significant ammount anyway.

And as is mob HP is more as fine if you properly dps/aoe.