Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE's new mmorpg for 2006 not to have sub costs!

2»

Comments

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by admriker444

This is SOE's sleaziest move yet. And of course it will succeed. The console WoW kiddies are part of the fast food instant gratification crowd. hey'll gladly buy into this garbage rather than actually work for an item.
    And Im not someone who cant afford this, my wife is a doctor and Im a college professor. However, I always felt a sense of pride pre-pub 9 knowing that my jedi was very rare. And later the feeling of knowing I had one of the best sabers around because of my efforts. Now wth a system like this, whats the point of even playing.
    This is like using cheat codes in Doom 3, sure its fun for about 10 minutes then it sinks in that the game is ruined forever.

Hate to change the subject or hi jack it but anyone else disturbed that admriker infamous for some of the weirdest threads this forum ever seen might actually be a college professor!

Out of intrest admrikar ,what do u teach??

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by hercules
    This is SOE's sleaziest move yet. And of course it will succeed. The console WoW kiddies are part of the fast food instant gratification crowd. hey'll gladly buy into this garbage rather than actually work for an item.
    And Im not someone who cant afford this, my wife is a doctor and Im a college professor. However, I always felt a sense of pride pre-pub 9 knowing that my jedi was very rare. And later the feeling of knowing I had one of the best sabers around because of my efforts. Now wth a system like this, whats the point of even playing.
    This is like using cheat codes in Doom 3, sure its fun for about 10 minutes then it sinks in that the game is ruined forever.
    Hate to change the subject or hi jack it but anyone else disturbed that admriker infamous for some of the weirdest threads this forum ever seen might actually be a college professor!

>:-)

This would be a prime example of why having a Degree means less today than it did 15 years ago. Today it's about what you can do, not about where you went to school. I REGULARLY hire people with certs and experience over some guy who has a damn degree. Degree means squat to me. All a Degree says anymore is "I went to school, pay me for it".

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

I think a lot of the outrage evident in this thread must arise purely from a hatred of SOE.  Because this is basically the same thing that Roma Victor is doing but when that was discussed on these boards I don't recall nearly the same degree of rightous rage about it.

Not that hatred of SOE is a bad thing.  In fact, I'm all for it.  But if it's a bad thing when SOE does it then it's a bad thing when anyone does it.

And it really is a crappy way to finance a MMORPG.  And you know they'll try to make it sound as if buying perks is optional but in reality they will arrange things so that you pretty much have to buy stuff to have a functional character.  And then they will periodically make all the stuff you bought obsolete so that you have to buy more.

And of course there is the basic disgusting nature of a game where <he who pays the most wins>.  Like others have said; what really is the point of playing a game that basically just comes down to a bidding war to see who is willing to spend the most cash?

• gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477
    Hopefully it wont be another guild wars image

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there
  • Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501

Originally posted by Elnator

>:-)

This would be a prime example of why having a Degree means less today than it did 15 years ago. Today it's about what you can do, not about where you went to school. I REGULARLY hire people with certs and experience over some guy who has a damn degree. Degree means squat to me. All a Degree says anymore is "I went to school, pay me for it".

Sounds like someone is bitter because they do NOT have a degree...  Degrees mean a lot, especially from a 4 year institution...  My boss wouldn't have even looked at my resume without my B.S.  A degree shows loyalty, not everyone can attend the same institution for 4 years straight with classes getting considerably harder and harder...  I did it, so don't water it down since you think it isn't important...  El, I am guessing you are in the IT field of work or something computer related, and I can tell you this, after my Comp Sci class, I would hands-down take a Comp Sci major from a 4 year degree over a certified drop-out... 

One more thing, Admirker doesn't sound to me like a professor, but rather a liar...  People who have taken 4 years of college typically have better writing skills...  It is literally a requirement of ALL credible institutions to be able to communicate you thoughts into coherent words and sentences and to constructively write papers...

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

Originally posted by hercules

I teach Public Relations, Semantics, Communication Theory, and sometimes fill a semester for Advertising.

I gave up working in the corporate world. I spent 12 years in several Fortune 500 companies. I simply couldnt live with myself knowing what they were doing. The spin control I was continually asked to do to cover a bad financial quarter or their impact on the local ecology was sickening.

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Can you just hear and picture the guys from Project Entropia right now. Dancing about the room singing.

"We told ya so"

"We told ya so"

"We told ya so"

"We told ya so"

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

Originally posted by Dis_Ordur

Sounds like someone is bitter because they do NOT have a degree...  Degrees mean a lot, especially from a 4 year institution...  My boss wouldn't have even looked at my resume without my B.S.  A degree shows loyalty, not everyone can attend the same institution for 4 years straight with classes getting considerably harder and harder...  I did it, so don't water it down since you think it isn't important...  El, I am guessing you are in the IT field of work or something computer related, and I can tell you this, after my Comp Sci class, I would hands-down take a Comp Sci major from a 4 year degree over a certified drop-out... 

One more thing, Admirker doesn't sound to me like a professor, but rather a liar...  People who have taken 4 years of college typically have better writing skills...  It is literally a requirement of ALL credible institutions to be able to communicate you thoughts into coherent words and sentences and to constructively write papers...

I have 7 years of college under my belt with an MA in Public Relations thank you. You cant teach a college course with only a BA or BS.

And I "communicate" just fine. Perhaps you have a comprehension problem.

Oh and one more thing, up your piehole

How's that for communicating ? image

• Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501

Originally posted by Dis_Ordur

I have 7 years of college under my belt with an MA in Public Relations thank you. You cant teach a college course with only a BA or BS.

And I "communicate" just fine. Perhaps you have a comprehension problem.

Oh and one more thing, up your piehole

How's that for communicating ? image

Very effective indeed!  One of your posts was a little sloppy, so I called you out on it...  The first paragraph wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at Elnator's dissing of college educations...

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

Originally posted by Neanderthal

I think a lot of the outrage evident in this thread must arise purely from a hatred of SOE.  Because this is basically the same thing that Roma Victor is doing but when that was discussed on these boards I don't recall nearly the same degree of righteous rage about it.
    Not that hatred of SOE is a bad thing.  In fact, I'm all for it.  But if it's a bad thing when SOE does it then it's a bad thing when anyone does it.
    And it really is a crappy way to finance a MMORPG.  And you know they'll try to make it sound as if buying perks is optional but in reality they will arrange things so that you pretty much have to buy stuff to have a functional character.  And then they will periodically make all the stuff you bought obsolete so that you have to buy more.
    And of course there is the basic disgusting nature of a game where .  Like others have said; what really is the point of playing a game that basically just comes down to a bidding war to see who is willing to spend the most cash?

I condemn any game company and game which uses this revenue method, Project Entropia, Knight Online, Thang Online, Roma Victor etc. Go look up my posts in the Roma Victor forum, most of the time I was standing alone against a wave of fanbois.

Previously, this revenue model was adapted by smaller lesser known companies and games. I fear SOE will be lending legitimacy to this horrid scheme to extract more than the cost of a basic subscription rate and ruin MMOG's in the process.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh