Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Age of Wushu: Compelled to Keep Playing

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our latest beta preview, we take a look at the quietly anticipated Age of Wushu. We've been trekking around in the game and have lots to share about a game that sits squarely on many people's radar. See what we've discovered and then let us know what you think in the comments.

The premise of Age of Wushu is relatively straightforward: you begin the game as a humble student and must align yourself with one of eight schools to gain in knowledge and power.  Each of the schools has a different focus, from the Taiji Sword styles of the Wudang to the Long Style Boxing form of the Shaolin.  There are no levels to grind or classes to choose in Age of Wushu, and progression is handled through a time-based Cultivation system that allows you to direct your focus towards different skills as you please.  The game also offers open PvP and a deep economic system, both of which encourage community interaction.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's Age of Wushu: Compelled to Keep Playing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Hey look a wushu article on mmorpg.com
  • MontaronxMontaronx Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Which is an mmo yea. Strange things happening here... better check out fpsguru.com for my daily mmo news next time

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Oh look mmorpg.com have finally preview Age Of Wushu, gonna see what they say. 

• RabbiFangRabbiFang Member Posts: 149
    I have to agree. I've been struggling to find a home in an MMORPG since Neocron/Ultima Online, but this one's grabbed me by the balls. 
  • CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339
    I do really enjoy this game.  I've beaten stronger opponents just due to timing of blocks.  My only issue is it feels difficult to make any money to spend on the things I want.  I'm not a fan of crafting and that seems to be the best source for income besisdes rare loot drops that only come from forbidden instances.  But then my character isn't very far in his skills yet to solo any of the little instances.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

The UI doesn't bother me so much. I wasn't one of those "omg swtor!? no cust. ui?!" people. You can move windows around and open as many as you want. Your action bars and char frams are lacklust and can't be resized. Functional but far from cutting edge. 

Yeah the game at first feels like it needs a 500 page old school manual. After a week or two you start to digest bits and pieces. Not everyone knows how to do everything. I think most know a few things. This was very frustrating at times. I'm cool with it now though. I have a nice schedule.

Other than that the only other issue I have is terran smoothing. edges like the top of walls and rooftops often have small lips you can get snagged on. 

It's great to have so many things I haven't seen before, and to many things to possibaly do in a hardcore day though. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    These reviews really need to let people know that this game is "live" for all intents and purposes so that people don't think they have another month or so to decide and then wind up that must farther behind the curve. Not that it is like EvE where you will always be behind the person who started the day before you but still beats paying that silver to speed up the process.
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430

I have been enjoying the immersive world they have created in Age of Wushu. Walk through Cheng-du (a large city) and watch the NPC's go about there daily lives. See offline players doing jobs alongside there NPC counterparts. Watch a player hot on the heels of a wanted criminal (another player) to defeat him and turn him over to the constables for a bounty.

Stumble upon a fight that has broken out between 2 players. Are they enemies or just dueling for fun? Walk into the town square and find that iron I need to buy from another player's stall. That's just a few minutes of my time in the Age of Wushu.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Lol, why even bother with the preview.

No mention of the 30 activitys you can do while offline.

No mention of the kidnapping system.

No mention of the clan warfare or the building of forts and owning land.

No mentioin that all the best items in the game are player made and need more than one type of crafter for most items.

No mention of the farming and growing of crops.

No mention of Bounty system or the prison system or the public executions.

No mention that Age Of Wushu has a lot of PVE content.

The list goes on..

Poor, poor review of a game that is jamed packed with features that if were in a western MMO we wouldn't hear the last of it.

It's not everyday you can find a MMO with features that have never been seen in any MMO.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Lol, why even bother with the preview.

No mention of the 30 activitys you can do while offline.

No mention of the kidnapping system.

No mention of the clan warfare or the building of forts and owning land.

No mentioin that all the best items in the game are player made and need more than one type of crafter for most items.

No mention of the farming and growing of crops.

No mention of Bounty system or the prison system or the public executions.

No mention that Age Of Wushu has a lot of PVE content.

The list goes on..

Poor, poor review of a game that is jamed packed with features that if were a western MMO we wouldn't hear the last of it.

The thread title states that it is a preview...not a review.

• Darklotus79Darklotus79 Member Posts: 61
    There is defenitly alot going on in this game. The learning curve is not quite as steep as EvE , but it is up there.  I played my whole 10 hours yesterday , and although it still somewhat has that asian PW game feel to it. It makes up for it with its in depth ideas. This game has alot to offer people with maturity and patience.
  • Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089
    Is the combat tab target or FPS/TPS?  Something in between?
  • clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    I was finding the game fun untill some tool higher lvl than me killed me twice while trying to learn farming, after that I'll pass on this game. Other than the typical asshat lowbie ganker, the game look's really fun and cool.
  • robin392robin392 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Darth_Osor
    Is the combat tab target or FPS/TPS?  Something in between?

This. I'm sick to death of tab targetting games.

Originally posted by clumsytoes44
    I was finding the game fun untill some tool higher lvl than me killed me twice while trying to learn farming, after that I'll pass on this game. Other than the typical asshat lowbie ganker, the game look's really fun and cool.

How do you know what internal he was? What internal where you?

Besides he payed for those 2 I'm sure. Unless it was me... I haven't been to jail in 2 days!

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Originally posted by bcbully

Besides he payed for those 2 I'm sure. Unless it was me... I haven't been to jail in 2 days!

No idea really but when i hit him for 4-5 damage and he hit's me for 44+ each attack. And i'd been playing for about 2 hour's, so I considered myself a complete noob for lvl wise.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    being able to only play 1 hour per day was s sign of many other pay to win/pay for advantages and fun that led me to thinking i would not play

hallo ~_~

Originally posted by bcbully

No idea really but when i hit him for 4-5 damage and he hit's me for 44+ each attack. And i'd been playing for about 2 hour's, so I considered myself a complete noob for lvl wise.

Yeah that sucks :) There are crazy people out there.

Originally posted by rommello
    being able to only play 1 hour per day was s sign of many other pay to win/pay for advantages and fun that led me to thinking i would not play

10 hours then 1 after that. Sounds like pay 2 play... Crazy I know.

• xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Western MMO's need to look at this game and others like it and start copying the myriad of things to do(that do not include fighting), the way characters are developed, and especially the offline activites.
  • SlayblazeSlayblaze Member UncommonPosts: 24
    After burning through the 10 free hours on eight different acounts - one for each school - I'm amazed how different each experience has been, there is a lot of content here. A lot more than first meets the eye. The two schools I saved for last because they interested me the least, have turned out to be really great (emei and scholar), it's going to be really hard to choose a Main account. Might have to do what I've been doing which is play an hour of each class a day!
  • MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

There are some issues that players should know about before they put any money down.

Purchasing the "Deluxe" option will tie the Deluxe perks to your character, not to your account.  If you decide to delete your character to check the other schools then you will lose your "Deluxe" perks.  No where is this explained before you make your purchase.  You will only learn this if you find the relevant post on the forum.

The VIP status is tied to the account so you will keep your game time, but everything else will be lost.

It's easy to get stuck in a school.  I was considering either Wudang or Emei and ended up getting stuck in Wudang.  There is an option to choose another school, but it is presented only once at the very beginning when you enter the school area and speak to the NPC.  I didn't know this and I wanted to look around the area, so I exited the dialogue with the NPC to look around.  Bam, just like that, stuck in Wudang.  If you go to look at the various schools, talk to no NPC and just do some sight seeing.

Deleting a character will not release that character name.  Also, you have a 48 hour wait period after deleting the character before you can make your replacement.

Item mall purchases are temporary.  The items that you buy with real money will expire and vanish after a certain time.

Clearly there are some issues that they seriously need to fix.  AoW has a lot going for it, but it also currently has a lot working against it.  I still say that it's well worth checking out.  It's been fun and it promises to offer a lot of new experiences.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Mysk

There are some issues that players should know about before they put any money down.

Purchasing the "Deluxe" option will tie the Deluxe perks to your character, not to your account.  If you decide to delete your character to check the other schools then you will lose your "Deluxe" perks.

What perks do you loose? The horse and what else?

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    I will avoid this game, Word of mouth is HORRID

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    unlike the author, i was compelled to stop playing after i realized that without dropping money on the game i'm basically stuck. y'know that one hour of free time they're giving the f2pers during the obt? yeah that's about how long it takes you to hit the wall of the other caps they put in for f2p players (mostly in the realm of cultivation point acquisition, and xp gain, but across every system they have running which takes any form of progression). so i wouldn't say it's p2w, but it definitely is "p2p or have a swift kick in the butt."