Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will a tablet era ruin PC gaming?

1235»

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
           It will definitely affect it......The problem is that there are alot of casuals in the tablet market and there is money to be made....Heck if games like Angry Birds and Farmville can make alot then who knows......I fear that all these devices spread out everything so thin......Also so many users now are just so simple minded and easily entertained that it could be a problem.
  • oreal52oreal52 Member UncommonPosts: 79

Obviously people on this forum are "outdated" and have no clue about technology that we have nowadays.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Scarfe
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by Quizzical

I apologize for unintentionally skipping over this. My intent was to actually ask you how laptops are more reliable. I personally don't see how a Laptop is anymore reliable than a tablet. They are both something that your average user can't repair, they are both something easily broken if dropped unless you spend the extra cash for higher end ones that are meant to be extra durrable. They both have the same issues and usually break in the same way. Most common issue with either is the DC jack. 

As it stands now... 

If you want performance then you go with a pc. 

Laptops, regardless of the laptop, is simply about portibility which is covered in spades by tablets. 

And you also have to keep in mind that laptops have already all but lost this. Check around and look at the sales figures. They are going to be custom order only items in the near future. Hardly anyone carries them anymore. Tablets have already taken over in most stores because that is what consumers are buying. 

A larger form factor means that you can safely dissipate more heat.  Dissipating 35 W in a laptop is pretty trivial to do.  You can make a tablet that puts out about 2 W and doesn't have heat problems, but as soon as you try to scale up performance, you're going to run into heat problems far sooner than you will in a laptop.

And if something goes wrong, as I said, in a tablet, it's impossible to repair.  That's sometimes the case with laptops, too, but memory and hard drives--not coincidentally, the things that are most likely to break--are replaceable in most laptops.  That's not so in tablets.

-----

You're assuming that people who need portability don't care about performance in the slightest. If that's so, then why do any laptops other than Atom-based netbooks even exist?

Tablets are not impossible to repair lol. I build and repair tablets, tons of others manage to repair tablets as well. If you can't thats fine, but don't try and pass it off as some impossible thing lol. 

Heat can be an issue, but as I've stated with advances in cloud computing and considering most major comapnies are actively investing in and helpind advance cloud based computing performance is going to be less of a concern. 

As it stands right now, laptops are in a decline lol. This isn't an debatable fact. Tablets sales are up. Business sector is about 50/50 with tablet/smart phone vs. laptop. The consumer market is already being dominated by tablets. 

This isn't really a debate worthy issue lol. If you'd like to discuss how or why fine, but arguing against tablets replacing laptops means you are simply refusing to see whats already happening lol. 

I think Gray watched the Olympics and thought, I want a medal of my own, how about a broken iPad?  There are a lot of those.  Seriously though, can your iPad run anything like your holier-than-thou Gates lap top.  Well can it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_rUBt46QtA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZECZ-JwLfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITJlIoP6Kng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYCoOWtVEUE

And I and others buy broken Ipads among other tablets off of ebay, repair and resale rather often lol. Is it more work than repairing a PC? Yes. Is it impossible? No lol. Is it nice for some extra easy cash on the side? Very much so lol. 

Now as far as gaming on tablet are we counting things like Fiona? http://www.razerzone.com/projectfiona You know tablets that play games like BF3, Skyrim, and such?

Or are we sticking with traditional tablets for your question? 

When are you sending that broken Ipad? I could use a free and easy $300-600 lol. 

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    I don't think so.  I do think we'll see less stress on graphics and more on gameplay though.  That way you can do simple/solo things on your tablet and get a raid going on your pc.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

Is there a way to like use my Ipad as a controller for gw2? I am no tech guy, so I do not know lol. 

I have apps for my Nexus tablet that make it function as a remote control for things like XBMC+Windows Media center so i imagine there is probably one that emulates a controller for it, although i imagine it would be more awkward to use than a proper one or kb+mouse.

There are issues of latency, reliability, and button placement options there.  Getting low latency from a wireless connection is doable, but it's not trivial, so something meant for a TV remote control probably wouldn't be viable as a game controller.

Wireless is intrinsically unreliable, but there's no reason why using a tablet as a controller intrinsically has to be less reliable than using a wireless keyboard or mouse from the same distance.  If you want to use the tablet from 20 feet away from the computer, that could be more of an issue.

You're already aware of the button placement issues, so I won't elaborate on that, other than to say that for many games, it's really not fixable.

Originally posted by grimgryphon

I guess I'm in the minority. The more RPG/MMO games that come out for the iPad, the more I've been playing them instead of firing up my desktop. I like the mobilty and not having to sit at my desk or lug around a heavy gaming laptop.

In fact, I do most of my computing on an iPad these days. I rarely even use my Mac mini, MacBook Pro, or my PC.

As the technology gets better, I can see some pretty amazing graphics coming our way. Hell, the technology is already here. Just look at Modern Combat 4, Infinity Blade II, or Raven's Sword 2. Epic Citadel running the Unreal engine on an iPad retina display, in beautiful 2048x1536 is amazing. The A6X chip is a fully-integrated dual-core CPU and a quad-core GPU. It's fast. Intel could take a lesson from Samsung on how to build a proper integrated chip.

I really do think it's the future. That's fine by me.

The A6X has Apple Swift cores, which is part of the new generation.  Yes, it's very fast for a tablet core, but that's why I've been saying that the new generation of tablets is such a big deal.  While the Swift core is proprietary to Apple, it's basically Apple's version of an ARM Cortex A15 core that everyone and his neighbor's dog can use--and soon will.  The Google Nexus 10 already does.

The notion of a "quad core" GPU is nonsense.  A Radeon HD 7970, for example, has 2048 shaders (AMD now calls them "stream processors") and 128 TMUs, split into 32 GCN CUs with 64 shaders and 4 TMUs each.  It also has 128 Z/Stencil ROPs and 32 color ROPs, as well as 6 GDDR5 memory channels.  So, how many "cores" does it have?

The A6X uses what might be the top of the line Imagination PowerVR series 5 graphics.  But that's last generation graphics that doesn't support modern graphics APIs, so it's crippled.  The next generation PowerVR Rogue series 6 graphics will support OpenGL 4.0 and possibly later, so future tablets can support modern graphics, but the iPad 4 doesn't.

Originally posted by Kabaal
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

Is there a way to like use my Ipad as a controller for gw2? I am no tech guy, so I do not know lol. 

I have apps for my Nexus tablet that make it function as a remote control for things like XBMC+Windows Media center so i imagine there is probably one that emulates a controller for it, although i imagine it would be more awkward to use than a proper one or kb+mouse.

There are issues of latency, reliability, and button placement options there.  Getting low latency from a wireless connection is doable, but it's not trivial, so something meant for a TV remote control probably wouldn't be viable as a game controller.

Wireless is intrinsically unreliable, but there's no reason why using a tablet as a controller intrinsically has to be less reliable than using a wireless keyboard or mouse from the same distance.  If you want to use the tablet from 20 feet away from the computer, that could be more of an issue.

You're already aware of the button placement issues, so I won't elaborate on that, other than to say that for many games, it's really not fixable.

For FPS games it's a no fix, nothing can truly compare to the Keyboard and mouse. Fighting games such as MK are in the same situation but are far more suited for controllers. Everything else though can be played well. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6DoJuCK5UI

Things like the splashtop 2 have an extremely customizable overlay. 

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

The tablet PC would be that hug in size that you could not hold it if the screen actually would be comfortable like my desktop right now. I prefer a 26´ screen before I would use a tiny tablet/notebook without mouse, joystick and keyboard. Tablet pc is for me just an advanced nintendo gameboy. And at the end the only feature what I really like is reading e-books with it, except you need internet outside of your house but smartphones do the same job getting quick infos.

Some months ago I did buy the Samsung 10.1 for almost 500€, did return it within a week since I felt it was more a toy than anything and not worth the money, actually i felt it was overpriced for the features I got. You can only consume with a table, not really work with it. Wonder why you cant phone on a table like with a mobile (not with skype). This is definately a missing feature. 

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

NO

Tablets will kill Office Desktops (Those cheap shit sold by HP)

Professional Desktops and Gaming Desktops won't die

The strenght of the PC is that it can be upgraded and customized, that's why PC has been always more popular than the Apple and still is.

Low end PC though will die becase having a box that weights 20 Kgs with the same processing power of something that weights 0.5 Kg is barely a competition.

Office Desktops WILL be replaced by Tablet/Laptops

The worst affected will be HP and marginally DELL which produce Office and Low End Desktops

Medium and hi-end PCs will barely be affected

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

It really all depends on the type of experience you want out of your gaming device, and what sorts of games do you want that type of experience out of?

There are different types of entertainment that work on various mediums, and some experiences that are cherished on specific mediums.  They all have their functions that make them ideal for the tasks they are used for.  There are those that grab a quick downloadable app, and that's good enough for them. I think that's great, because it supports the game industry at some level and keeps it alive.

Then there are the ones that passionately engage in something of more substance, and they crave the truly immersive experiences that only a PC built for gaming can provide-- If I am capable of checking in on a tablet to contact friends in a MMO while I'm traveling, that's awesome!  However, that doesn't mean I'm satisfied with that experience when I have a rig I built specifically for gaming sitting at home, but if it works in the interim, so be it.

Personally I like the interconnectivity of PC games with mobile devices, because it encourages the "social" aspect of online games by keeping people in touch with their friends when they're away from their primary computers.

I don't see desktop computers going anywhere anytime soon, but I definitely see the necessity for more cross-platforming of applications and how they utilize multiple devices to keep people connected.

It will really depend on the outlook of the game development community, and whether or not they choose to keep offering incredibly immersive experiences that make computers with lots of on-board memory, fast processing speed, large monitors with high resolutions, and rich 5.1 (or 7.1) surround sound worthwhile.  I sure hope they do.

• bunzagabunzaga Member UncommonPosts: 36

We just bought 3 cheapy tablets for our kids this Christmas, and I love them.

I also can't wait to get on my PC to play the 'real games'. :D

So IMO, until tablets get a LOT beefier, meaining 16 gigs of ram, an i7 3770 and something like a GTX680, as well as some external devices, such as keyboard / mouse / joystick, etc, then I don't see tablets overtaking PC gaming anytime soon.

The thing I see happening in the future, is something like wireless docking stations for various video, and input devices, etc.

Imagine... you have your uber gaming 'tablet'.  You walk into your front room, and you can stream videos to your TV.  You walk into your office, and your wireless keyboard, mouse, and monitor acivate, and you can sit down to play some fun games.  You get a call from work, so you tap the screen, and take the call through your blue tooth.

We all know, no 'real' gamer is going to want to look at a tiny phone screen.  The bigger the better right?  So I can see tablets having their place within the gaming industry, but we will always and forever want our big screens, keyboards, mice, joysticks, etc.

Originally posted by ste2000

NO

The strenght of the PC is that it can be upgraded and customized, that's why PC has been always more popular than the Apple and still is.

Low end PC though will die becase having a box that weights 20 Kgs with the same processing power of something that weights 0.5 Kg is barely a competition.

The worst affected will be HP and marginally DELL which produce Office and Low End Desktops

To the contrary, office desktops won't be affected by tablets.  The only advantages of tablets over desktops are portability and power consumption--and low end office desktops don't actually use that much power.  For an office desktop, portability can actually be a bad thing, as it makes the hardware (and the data on it!) easier to steal.

Meanwhile, the desktop form factor has some major advantages over laptops.  If you want your employees to type at all, then having a real keyboard is a huge advantage, to the degree that a tablet is likely a non-starter.  Having a real mouse is also likely to be a huge advantage.  A larger monitor is likely to be a huge advantage, as is the option of using multiple monitors.

Businesses also care tremendously about reliability, as paying employees to not work because their computer is broken is expensive.  Office desktops can easily dissipate far more heat than they need to, while tablets will struggle with it.  A case that is sitting on the floor is impervious to being accidentally dropped on the floor.  And if a desktop breaks, a business may have an employee on site that can fix it within minutes; if not, then the vendor can offer on-site support by the next business day.  Good luck trying to fix a broken tablet that fast.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by ste2000 NO Tablets will kill Office Desktops (Those cheap shit sold by HP) Professional Desktops and Gaming Desktops won't die The strenght of the PC is that it can be upgraded and customized, that's why PC has been always more popular than the Apple and still is. Low end PC though will die becase having a box that weights 20 Kgs with the same processing power of something that weights 0.5 Kg is barely a competition. Office Desktops WILL be replaced by Tablet/Laptops The worst affected will be HP and marginally DELL which produce Office and Low End Desktops Medium and hi-end PCs will barely be affected
    To the contrary, office desktops won't be affected by tablets.  The only advantages of tablets over desktops are portability and power consumption--and low end office desktops don't actually use that much power.  For an office desktop, portability can actually be a bad thing, as it makes the hardware (and the data on it!) easier to steal.

Meanwhile, the desktop form factor has some major advantages over laptops.  If you want your employees to type at all, then having a real keyboard is a huge advantage, to the degree that a tablet is likely a non-starter.  Having a real mouse is also likely to be a huge advantage.  A larger monitor is likely to be a huge advantage, as is the option of using multiple monitors.

Businesses also care tremendously about reliability, as paying employees to not work because their computer is broken is expensive.  Office desktops can easily dissipate far more heat than they need to, while tablets will struggle with it.  A case that is sitting on the floor is impervious to being accidentally dropped on the floor.  And if a desktop breaks, a business may have an employee on site that can fix it within minutes; if not, then the vendor can offer on-site support by the next business day.  Good luck trying to fix a broken tablet that fast.

Tablets might be fine for viewing a lot of content, but they are not fine for creating the content that gets consumed. Besides, if you're going to go with a tablet thing for the desktop, you're going to go with one of the micro Android style pcs. All the power of a tablet for $50, and it will use existing monitors, keyboards and mice.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Originally posted by ste2000

NO

Man, you should educate all those crazy people that have been using tablets with keyboards and mice and external video hook ups that they are doing it wrong! You should also correct all those business's that are providing employees with tablets instead of laptops that they are also wrong! You should also tell Dell, who are already moving into tablet/laptop hybrids that their stats are all wrong and tablets aren't eating away at their office desktop lines (their last 2 quarterlys report otherwise), but you know better right?

All I can say is, thank everything we have innovative people with grand ideas that are near limitless instead of people like you who see only one side to the argument. I still laugh at the "every 4 years" comment you made.

Tablet games as is will not affect the PC gaming market much, but when Tablets ARE more to PC's than they are now (and some are stupidly close), which they will be in a few years or less, itll all be the same market anyways. The main thing I see changing... More and MORE touch interaction with games. Could be good and bad depending on how OCD you are with smudgy screens hahah.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by madazz
    Originally posted by Quizzical Originally posted by ste2000 NO Tablets will kill Office Desktops (Those cheap shit sold by HP) Professional Desktops and Gaming Desktops won't die The strenght of the PC is that it can be upgraded and customized, that's why PC has been always more popular than the Apple and still is. Low end PC though will die becase having a box that weights 20 Kgs with the same processing power of something that weights 0.5 Kg is barely a competition. Office Desktops WILL be replaced by Tablet/Laptops The worst affected will be HP and marginally DELL which produce Office and Low End Desktops Medium and hi-end PCs will barely be affected
    To the contrary, office desktops won't be affected by tablets.  The only advantages of tablets over desktops are portability and power consumption--and low end office desktops don't actually use that much power.  For an office desktop, portability can actually be a bad thing, as it makes the hardware (and the data on it!) easier to steal. Meanwhile, the desktop form factor has some major advantages over laptops.  If you want your employees to type at all, then having a real keyboard is a huge advantage, to the degree that a tablet is likely a non-starter.  Having a real mouse is also likely to be a huge advantage.  A larger monitor is likely to be a huge advantage, as is the option of using multiple monitors. Businesses also care tremendously about reliability, as paying employees to not work because their computer is broken is expensive.  Office desktops can easily dissipate far more heat than they need to, while tablets will struggle with it.  A case that is sitting on the floor is impervious to being accidentally dropped on the floor.  And if a desktop breaks, a business may have an employee on site that can fix it within minutes; if not, then the vendor can offer on-site support by the next business day.  Good luck trying to fix a broken tablet that fast.
    Man, you should educate all those crazy people that have been using tablets with keyboards and mice and external video hook ups that they are doing it wrong! You should also correct all those business's that are providing employees with tablets instead of laptops that they are also wrong! You should also tell Dell, who are already moving into tablet/laptop hybrids that their stats are all wrong and tablets aren't eating away at their office desktop lines (their last 2 quarterlys report otherwise), but you know better right?

All I can say is, thank everything we have innovative people with grand ideas that are near limitless instead of people like you who see only one side to the argument. I still laugh at the "every 4 years" comment you made.

Tablet games as is will not affect the PC gaming market much, but when Tablets ARE more to PC's than they are now (and some are stupidly close), which they will be in a few years or less, itll all be the same market anyways. The main thing I see changing... More and MORE touch interaction with games. Could be good and bad depending on how OCD you are with smudgy screens hahah.

Tablets aren't replacing desktops or laptops in a business setting, they're supplementing them. Tablets just don't do enough and just aren't powerful enough. That's not to say that someday they won't have the horsepower, but right now, they don't. They also (as Quizzical said) come with their own support issues that aren't readily addressed by in house IT/Desktop teams.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by madazz

And did those tablets replace desktops or laptops?  There are some business situations where you do need portability, and the portability of a tablet is important.  But a desktop would have been a non-starter for such uses a decade ago.  There may be some situations where tablets replace office laptops, but not desktops.

Update for you guys and gals. Took my acer iconia a200 out for a test spin in NYC since I was visiting some friends. 

Tablet - Acer Iconia A200 - $229 (Was a good sale :P)

Software - Kainy (Cost $2)

PC at home in MA -

i7 2600k

16gb DDR3 Ram

120gb SSD

1tb HDD

GTX 590

I've been playing The Secret World and GW2 most of the day with my tablet at 60 fps and with beautiful graphic quality :)

Took some time to setup my game pad on Kainy but have a page specifically for TSW and a page for GW2.

Total of 20 buttons and 2 joysticks. Excellent control :) 

Will be testing it out on Battlefield 3 and Skyrim once I re-install them lol. So that will have to wait. 

So yes, High end gaming is possible on tablets. Don't believe me? Grab Kainy (If you don't have Tegra 3) or Splashtop Gamepad THD (If you have Tegra 3) and try it out :)

I can even use my phone as a controller for my tablet which is streaming my PC lol. 

Internet connection and home PC are going to be the biggest two factors. Next will be your tablet. I tried it on a few lower end tablets I had lying around and it didn't work so well. The Iconia works beautifully though. I'm actually typing this on my PC in MA with my tablet while I'm sitting in New York. 

Tablet > Laptop by a mile, as long as you have good internet service nearby that is oO!

So for $231 I have a tablet that can play all the latest MMO's without FPS or lag issues :) 

So for $231 I have a tablet that can play all the latest MMO's without FPS or lag issues :) 

Until you consider whatever you paid for that desktop and what you're paying for your Internet connection.  And until you get anything other than absolutely stellar service on both ends of the Internet connection.  And even then, it's probably going to be a tiny resolution and poor image quality due to very lossy compression.  And suffer from much worse input lag than running the game locally would have.  And be far less reliable than running the game locally.