Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

thinking about trying

MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

read it is f2p....saw the trailers and gameplay movies.....heard that the game has a lot of bad reviews from (ex)players.

So as a experienced player/vet to me;  what are the major pros and cons of this game?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Its free, try it and see for yourself. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MortaMorta Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by Talonsin

+1 to anyone reading. People's taste vary greatly and when it comes to indie games, the splintering of opinions only gets worse. :o)

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Originally posted by Talonsin

This. 

• picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256

//fanboy mode

Not comparable to anything else on the market. Most people would call it "hardcore". I just started recently but never dared to touch it before due to its bad reputation. Meanwhile it seems quite playable (though not in the sense of bugfree or polished). Hard to get in for new players, demands a lot of patience and self-informing (original forum is a good place). Can be quite peaceful in certain places but also brutal to the uninformed. One of the most opulent skill mechanics I've ever seen, restricted (the primary skills) but flexible all the same. Resource hungry, needs a decent machine or be prepared to play on lowest details. Will definitely give you a headache or 2 in the beginning...

A paradies for immersion- and explorer-junkies. In short: I LOVE IT! :D

//fanboy off

[mod edit]

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

[mod edit]

I wouldn't call it F2P. more like "Pay 2 Win" as the free stuff gimps your characters. You want every advantage you can have in a full loot game.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Muke

read it is f2p....saw the trailers and gameplay movies.....heard that the game has a lot of bad reviews from (ex)players.

So as a experienced player/vet to me;  what are the major pros and cons of this game?

I am a past MO player.  I beta'd it and played it at launch and off and on since then.  I have had nothing but problems with the game since then even up to its F2P launch.  It's stable now and runs decent but it still has massive issues with mobs rubberbanding and getting stuck under the world.  Also the game population is so small the world feels completely void of life. 

If you are looking for a game with absolute freedom though this is the one to play you can go anywhere you want without any worries since the mobs themselves are scarce.  GIve it a shot.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

[mod edit]

I clearly flagged (and admit) myself as fanboy and it seems that's all what you've read. If you'd read the content too you probably would have seen the intention of my post: mainly to prevent disappointment and needless download times if that's not the kind of game the OP is looking for (because the download is BIG). It surely wasn't the pink glasses view that you try to impute here. But I'm afraid in your system everyone who likes the game must be a close relative to the devs. Btw, I see much more of the veterans from the first beta still very active in the MO forums [mod edit]

Originally posted by argirop
    Originally posted by picommander
    [mod edit]

I clearly flagged (and admit) myself as fanboy and it seems that's all what you've read. If you'd read the content too you probably would have seen the intention of my post: mainly to prevent disappointment and needless download times if that's not the kind of game the OP is looking for (because the download is BIG). It surely wasn't the pink glasses view that you try to impute here. But I'm afraid in your system everyone who likes the game must be a close relative to the devs. Btw, I see much more of the veterans from the first beta still very active in the MO forums 

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Did I say that? I don't know if they came back or never left, all I know is that as a noob I'm practically living from their knowledge which is cleary a lot more than someone can gather in a few weaks playing MO.

You want names? Just look into the "Noblemen's Wisdom" thread and there go into the player guides. You can easily see when certain guides or the posters membership started etc etc.. And that's just a portion of 1 huge thread of 13. So if you really want to start a stupid number fight you already have lost bevor it even began.

• Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150

its funny how ppl say "play to win" .. so what you want? the exact same perks and bonuses as the paying players? You want the devs to get up early in the morning to make you good games, then go out and gather cans at night so they can buy rice to feed their families?.. stop whining and get a job so u can pay for your entertainments, freeloaders!! /rage off

about mortal online, Ive played the f2p now for about 4 days. Its not so hard to grasp the meaning of the game really. You start off with the classical, " w,a,s,d to walk" info and the big green arrow to point your way. While killing off some deer to get materials for your first armor you can get questions answered in the "Help channel". It IS imo a hardcore game. If you start cryin because someone killed you off and you lost some stuff, or someone "griefed" ( or as I call it, taught you a valuble lesson ) this game wont be for you. If bugs like flyin npc's/pc makes you scratch you eyes, this game is not for you.

If you need someone to hold your hand while your taking a dump, this is not for you. Me myself Ive so far Ive died by bugs, griefers, PK'eers and my own stupidity several times. Lost all my stuff several times, and got rubbed from stacks of gold by filthy thieves while tryin to get some stuff from my bank, and Ive only played for 4days. Getting my sub tomorrow and will most likely spend countless more hours getting pawned in this amazing indy game. 

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Originally posted by Raxxo82

its funny how ppl say "play to win" .. so what you want? the exact same perks and bonuses as the paying players? You want the devs to get up early in the morning to make you good games, then go out and gather cans at night so they can buy rice to feed their families?.. stop whining and get a job so u can pay for your entertainments, freeloaders!! /rage off

Usually a good f2p model allows the free players to stay somewhat competative, while giving the paying users access to more content, not more power. In MOs case they cap your skills, thus making you intentionally weaker than subs, you are cannonmeat.

• PoachinatorPoachinator Member UncommonPosts: 80
    There is no end game. The game is just ongoing. If you want to be competivite with the pvp aspect then I hear you have to pay the subscription to fully unlock your skills to 100, they only go to 60 with F2P. That being said I have had a blast with my week off playing MO as F2P. So much fun that I may indeed go ahead and subscribe. I think that $15 is a little high, if they wish to get more subscribers then I believe they should drop it to like $10. But with my experience so far, and being totally burnt out on the WoWacoaster that is everything else, I may just sub anyways.