Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost and need help. Old EQ addict.

PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Member UncommonPosts: 119
I started playing EQ in 99 gave up around 04 was by far my fav game.  I go back to it time to time but never the same.  I played WoW, Rift, SWToR, GW2, EQ 2 and some others but nothing holds me like EQ once did.  Anyone that used  to play EQ that found a more modern game that holds thier interest?  Any advice?

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

EQ2, Started EQ in 2000.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Nope, played those too and more and I am in the same boat as you. I was a different person then than the person I am today so that may be part of it. Maybe we are just harder to impress than we used to be.
  • xtrabulletsxtrabullets Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by PhoenixC13
    I started playing EQ in 99 gave up around 04 was by far my fav game.  I go back to it time to time but never the same.  I played WoW, Rift, SWToR, GW2, EQ 2 and some others but nothing holds me like EQ once did.  Anyone that used  to play EQ that found a more modern game that holds thier interest?  Any advice?

I've pretty much given up on MMOs as alot of others have. Nothing really to look forward to until The Elder Scrolls: Online comes out, and I doubt that will live up to the hype even. It's a sad sad day for the MMORPG genre when a game like Pirate 101 is voted GOTY.

On a side note Torchlight 2 is pretty badass. If you're into ARPGs at all you might look that one up (just stay clear from d3 crapville lol). GL!

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

You sound like me, and I feel like I'm out of luck ... :-(

I wander between WoW and Vanguard.   Age of Wushu is a new sandbox-y title thats in beta now.  But with the latest client download I can only play 1 hour a day.  Strong asian themes but has the freedom I like.

Secretly holding out for ArcheAge... 

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Zorlofe
    Nope, played those too and more and I am in the same boat as you. I was a different person then than the person I am today so that may be part of it. Maybe we are just harder to impress than we used to be.

Part true :-).  We are older and have acquired a gaming maturity... but I believe that games have gotten worse since we started back in the 80s.  (Think the same thing with cartoons too)

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Well, I just downloaded the Beta of Age of Wushu and it reminded me of pre NGE/CU SWG and a bit of EQ.  It is basically a martial arts MMO based in feudal China but it's a massive game and very complex.  It has a million things to do in the game but it's not a themepark game so you are not hand held at all.  It is also open world PVP but it has some very interesting features so it is not a total gank fest....in fact, it feels like the opposite of a gank fest.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Well, I think most people are going to say Vanguard.  I like Vanguard, best MMO world out there.  But the UI is really ugly and unresponsive and it has some population issues in a massive world.  Also once you pick a class that's it no customization within classes (which may not be a problem for you as EQ didn't have this).  And the quests are pretty mind numbingly boring.  Needless to say I like Vanguard but it's not a home run and can be pretty dull solo.

I'm still hoping for something to come along one day like classic EQ, possibly with some more freedom like a Sandpark. 

Edit:  Age of Wushu does look to have some interesting ideas which I still don't fully understand.  And with the one hour a day limit, it may be some time before I fully grasp it.

• PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Vanguard I didnt get into tried it again recently as well.

• RollgunnerRollgunner Member UncommonPosts: 61

I'm afraid that MMOs that require more than a month or so to reach top level (built-in longevity), have meaningful penalties to dying (risk vs. reward), and in which grouping is very nearly mandatory (making that second 'M' actually mean something) will never be made again. Most all MMOs these days are designed around the concepts of minimal or completely optional player interaction, rocket-fast levelling, dungeons/instances/raids that are nearly impossible to actually fail, content that must be completable in less than a half-hour and in which the only risk involved is the chance that the loot that you want doesn't drop. 

That having been said, I've heard that Vanguard :Saga of Heroes has tried to capture the feeling of the older MMOs, but I can't say that i've actually tried it.

Guess I will stick to Tourch Light II for now.  Maybe a MMO will strike me soon.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

EQ2, Started EQ in 2000.

Umm Everquest 1(AKA Evercrack and Evercamp) started 3/16/1999 check the games list before you state when a game was launched.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• RlechotRlechot Member UncommonPosts: 25

I am to Star Wars Galaxies Pre-NGE as you are to Everquest. We are both in the same place...searching....wondering if we will ever find that magic again. But I have found hope and now I feel excited about our futures.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Xj-VaYrvg

• milluxmillux Member UncommonPosts: 50

Originally posted by akiira69

Originally posted by Elsabolts EQ2, Started EQ in 2000.  
    Umm Everquest 1(AKA Evercrack and Evercamp) started 3/16/1999 check the games list before you state when a game was launched.

Pretty sure he was stating that he started playing EQ in 2000. Also, I doubt he was trying to spread false information about the launch date of a 13+ year old game.

OP - I switched from MUDs to EQ in 1999, and feel the same way. I have enjoyed other MMOs like DAoC, SWG, EQ2, etc ... but EQ does possess some odd nostalgic power for me. Then again, I tried going back to it a couple times and could not hold interest for more than a couple weeks. I think it may simply be that it was unique to me then and now all MMOs feel like they have parts from other games I have played and very little new to offer.

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

EQ2, Started EQ in 2000.

efterbliven.....

he was saying in ENGLISH, he started EQ in 2000.. how can you overlook something so simple as written as it is.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
        I started EQ in early 2000 and played through early 05.....Like the OP, I bounced around to alot of games since....The only game that has held my attention for any length of time is Anarchy Online (yeah I know another old school game)......Its classified as sci-fi though it really plays alot more like a fantasy MMO (well the free version anyway).....Im also a fantasy MMO fan but also never found anything I liked for any length of time.....If AO doesn't work for you, EQ is now f2p and your old accounts are considered silver which is a little better than the f2p accounts and you can play your old characters (if you can remember your account info that is).
  • Josh007CLJosh007CL Member CommonPosts: 38

I agree with most that we have simply gotten bored of the games out there. Most MMO's are trying to accomadate those who want to jump into the game for a bit and jump out due to time restraints and other reasons. Lets also look that they are making them "F2P" which IMO affects the quality of the content subscribers pay for (just look at what SOE is doing to it's games now).

I have tried Vanguard and it does have a similar feel EQ1/EQ2 as well as multiple interesting other features added to it, I have realized they are not developing content for the game but rather just the marketplace in an attempt to milk the game until its dead.

Not only that but you will need to have time to group with people (and find people to group with) to actually get anywhere around level 20. There are still things you can do solo but the solo content drastically decreases.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

I am telling you, try Age Of Wushu.  Whether you want to try the free 10 hour Closed Beta client +I hour daily, or plunk down the 19.99 for the 60 days closed beta (which I did) you will marvel at the sheer beauty and complexity of the game.  It blows Vanguard out of the water, no comparison, and I think Vanguard was one of the best western MMOs (once it got fixed).

There are good MMOs out there being made, it is that they are all Eastern MMOs and not American made.  What makes Wushu so interesting is not the complexity but the sheer number of things you can do with your skills and the way you use them plus the combat system.

If you read up on all the stuff in the game, and it will take you a long while to understand just how everything works in relationship with everything else, you will find that it has some prettty good ideas....and the best part is that this game has been going on for a while in China, this is the Western release.  So all of those things that we say "we will have to see if they come through with their promises" are already in the game and working.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    sorry op but we are all stuck in the no retard left behind phase of mmos.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Even if they did not add any new content to VG it would sustain someone for a long, long time. It's true they are putting things on the marketplace but from what I've seen the items/skins were already in the game. Not sure what resource pull those things have.

The proof is in the pudding though. They did revamp the game quite a bit and released City of Brass but we'll see what they do from here on out.
  • IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by PhoenixC13

Nothing modern, and sadly lacking in interface departments, but Asheron's Call and Wurm Online only good MMORPGs out right now, EVE online also interesting.
    EQ pretty much is a single player game till end game now unless your in an active guild.  As much as i love to go back you just never can.

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88
    Google P 99 for old EQ experience.
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

If you dont mind outdated graphics: http://www.shardsofdalaya.com/

Its EQ server but made completely from scratch with all different quests, story, dungeons and locations. Its free and was very populated when I last checked. Community is a big plus - one of the best and helpful you can find.

• malratsmalrats Member UncommonPosts: 21

man, that's a feeling I don't think most of us will ever feel again.

I was 14 when I first played EQ, and I played it all the way into my twenties I'd say and nothing I've ever played since (aside from the very beginning of vanilla WoW) has ever come close to that feeling of wonder and fear and just excitement to explore and fight and quest that I felt with EQ. I literally remember working a part-time job back then and I'd be stocking shelves and just thinking about what I was gonna do with my paladin when I got home from work, that maybe I'd get to go fight a dragon with my guild for the first time, or I'd find a new zone or meet some new friends, I don't know. of course it helps that I was so young, I'm 26 now and probably very jaded but it's just much much harder to please me these days, especially when it comes to something feeling new. I've tried literally every major MMO release since EQ, as well as some of the niche ones, and so I really feel like I've seen and felt it all.

maybe, just one day, something truly new and exciting will come out, something that captures that original EQ feel.

and maybe, just maybe, it'll be EverQuest Next.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by millux

Originally posted by Elsabolts EQ2, Started EQ in 2000.  

Pretty sure he was stating that he started playing EQ in 2000. Also, I doubt he was trying to spread false information about the launch date of a 13+ year old game.

Exactly. He was suggesting EQ2 and then stated that he started EQ in 2000. +1 for you. ; )

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo