Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a good SSD for my PC

care000care000 Member UncommonPosts: 19
I am choosing between this 3 ssd`s: Intel® SSD "330 Series" 120 GB, Samsung "840 Series SSD" 120 GB, or Crucial M4 "RealSSD™" 128 GB.  Which one do you suggest i take. If you have a better suggestion, please respond to the thread. Hope you can help me choose because im having a hard time by myself.

Comments

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697
    I'd recommend the first one.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Crucial m4 is one of the highest rated around, both for reliablitiy and performance. Its the ssd I was intending to buy before stuff happened and that money had to go elsewhere than a speed increase for my pc :)

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I have 4 Samsung SSDs . Two in each of my computers.

I can say they have been very good for me. I cant speak for the others but the Samsung 840 should be a decent SSD and can find them at decent prices most of the time.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I am no expert, but I would do #1, #3, then #2 on your list.  If the price differecne is big between #1 / #3, I would go for the cheaper one.  Going to be buying parts soon, so been paying attention to recommendations and reading some tech forums here and there.  Crucial gets recommended here a lot it seems, and the intel on a tech forum I read seems to be their prefered.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Samsung 830 series is the best at the moment the Intel 330 comes in a close second.

Bang for buck http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-146-SA&tool=3

• care000care000 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Decided i`m gonna buy something even better then the drives listed above and that is

SAMSUNG SSD 128GB 25 SATA3 MLC 7MM 840 PRO BASIC

I hear it beats the competition by a fair margin. I know its a little pricier then  the others listed in this topic, but all the reviews point to the conclusion, that this is the drive to have right now :)

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by care000
    Decided i`m gonna buy something even better then the drives listed above and that is

SAMSUNG SSD 128GB 25 SATA3 MLC 7MM 840 PRO BASIC

I hear it beats the competition by a fair margin. I know its a little pricier then  the others listed in this topic, but all the reviews point to the conclusion, that this is the drive to have right now :)

Yes it's the one i linked, it has a lot of features and is fast and reliable.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    When buying a solid state drive, you want the one with the highest IOPS.. preferably 120,000.  None of the 3 listed here are really close to that.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

If those are your three choices, I'd get the Crucial M4, and it's not close.  They're all fast, so the difference in speed doesn't matter.

SandForce drives such as the Intel SSD 330 have long been less reliable than other drives.  Intel claims that they've written better firmware than SandForce did, but I'm skeptical.  The Crucial M4 has a long record of being reliable, while the Intel SSD 330 has promises from Intel.

Meanwhile, the Samsung SSD 840 is the first SSD to use TLC NAND flash.  It's also a recent product, which means that the firmware bugs aren't necessarily found and fixed yet.  Will using TLC cause problems over the long run?  Likely not, but we don't know.

On top of that, the Crucial M4 gives you more usable capacity than either of the others.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I've got both M4 and 840 drives in computers - both are very fast - fast enough that any difference between them is really indistinguishable in real working conditions. The M4 is a bit older and more established, but both have been around long enough for anything really bad to have been shaken out.

Samsung does have a very nice SSD utility that lets you customize a lot of the SSD settings (reserve space, Windows optimizations, etc). AFAIK, it's the only brand that has this utility (although I've heard of firmware hacks and such that will do it on other brands, they aren't nearly as easy to use).

I'd go for whichever is less expensive when you order, truth be told.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    I got a OCZ agility 4 a few weeks ago, no trouble from it yet.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

If you havent made your purchase already it might also be worth having a quick read over this article

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6489/playing-with-op