Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE is dumping POTBS

erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I not played POTBS in years, but found this little jewl in my inbox a few mintues ago

Customer Service Notification

After much review and consideration, SOE and Flying Lab Software have decided that Pirates of the Burning Sea will leave the SOE family of games on January 31, 2013. Portalus Games, a new company made up of former Flying Lab employees, is planning to re-launch the game on its own platform in the near future.

Portalus Games plans to continue operation of both the Roberts and Antigua servers upon the re-launch. If you wish to have access to your existing characters when Portalus relaunches the game, you will need to create a Portalus Games account and link your game data to that account before January 31, 2013 (details below). Please note that none of your SOE account data or personal information will be transferred in this process.

More information about Portalus Games, the new team, and upcoming plans for Pirates of the Burning Sea will be available on the Portalus Games website.

FAQ

When is the SOE version of the game ending?

Pirates of the Burning Sea will no longer be available through SOE’s platform after January 31, 2013.

Where can I find more information about Portalus Games?

More information about Portalus Games and the future of Pirates of the Burning Sea can be found at http://www.portalusgames.com/.

Will I be able to access my existing characters when Portalus Games relaunches the game?

Yes, as long as you link your game data to a Portalus Games account before January 31, 2013.

How do I link my game data to a Portalus Games account?

When you log into the game in January you will see a window containing a Migration Code. Use this code to register your account at http://www.portalusgames.com/potbs. You must log in and obtain your Migration Code before January 31, 2013.

Can I continue playing the game after I have obtained my Migration Code?

Yes, you can continue playing Pirates of the Burning Sea until January 31, 2013. Your progress will be saved and, if you link your game data to a Portalus account before January 31, 2013, your existing characters will be available when Portalus relaunches the game.

Will I still have access to my Burning Sea Points / Notes when Portalus Games relaunches the game?

If you link your game data to a Portalus Games account by January 31, 2013, you will have access to your existing Burning Sea Points and Burning Sea Notes when Portalus relaunches the game.

Will my User Content flags and sails be available after the transition?

If you link your game data to a Portalus Games account by January 31, 2013, you will have access to all of your User Content flags and sails when Portalus relaunches the game.

What happens to my SOE recurring membership?

All billing by SOE for Pirates of the Burning Sea will end on December 17, 2012. If you have a paid membership in good standing as of that date, your membership will end on January 31, 2013, when the game is shut down.

Comments

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I got one of those two. Interesting to see if Flying Labs will alter the game. Hopefully so. Things I didn't like about the game:

1. If you are ganked while in the red zone, your friend's cannot join the battle/help you out.
    2. The auction house to buy/sell goods was only usable if you were in the port; you could not see buy/sell orders in other ports (like you can in Eve). Hated this.

Wonder if Flying Labs will go back to how it was in beta; when players loved the game. They completely changed the game to reach a broader audience. Brilliant move there. For example, the implementation of the arcade-style world map instead of keeping players in the first peson perspective (which you now see only during combat).

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Maybe the new company will actually advertise the game. Seeing as I saw a whole 1 advertisement ever for it, and really didn't hear enough to make me want to try it.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Arclan

I got one of those two. Interesting to see if Flying Labs will alter the game. Hopefully so. Things I didn't like about the game:

1. If you are ganked while in the red zone, your friend's cannot join the battle/help you out.
    2. The auction house to buy/sell goods was only usable if you were in the port; you could not see buy/sell orders in other ports (like you can in Eve). Hated this.

Wonder if Flying Labs will go back to how it was in beta; when players loved the game. They completely changed the game to reach a broader audience. Brilliant move there. For example, the implementation of the arcade-style world map instead of keeping players in the first peson perspective (which you now see only during combat).

Doubtful, SoE was only the publisher,  Flying Labs was in charge of the development.  Wouldmt expect much t change development wise.  Pricing model wise is where you are more likley to see changes.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Glad to see it's being taken over, rather than shutdown.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I have same issue with POTBS like I have with STO - ground combat. It is imo not good enough to supplement otherwise very good ship combat part of the game.

I heard ppl working on POTBS worked on STO too...

Originally posted by Gdemami

I have same issue with POTBS like I have with STO - ground combat. It is imo not good enough to supplement otherwise very good ship combat part of the game.I heard ppl working on POTBS worked on STO too...

For some reason that makes me laugh. Haven't played STO (even though I love Star Trek), but I heard bad things about it (lockboxes, anyone?)

Regarding POBS, if I recall, the ground missions were never part of the original design and were rushed in near the end of development. Anyone remember?

In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Gdemami

I have same issue with POTBS like I have with STO - ground combat. It is imo not good enough to supplement otherwise very good ship combat part of the game.

I heard ppl working on POTBS worked on STO too...

For some reason that makes me laugh. Haven't played STO (even though I love Star Trek), but I heard bad things about it (lockboxes, anyone?)

Regarding POBS, if I recall, the ground missions were never part of the original design and were rushed in near the end of development. Anyone remember?

For the most part this is correct.  Avcom was an afterthought.  While the original system actually wasn't that bad once you got to learn it (and it took a lot of getting your ass kicked by Ellesaria, Stokes or Blue Herring to learn!), it was waaaaay to dependent on gear, and there was really only one viable build per class.

Then FLS decided to revamp the avcom, and took a system that was flawed but had some good things, and made it worse.

As far as the devs, I'm skeptical about them.  These were mainly the ones who seriously botched F2P/Power and Prestige. 

No offense, but were you around during beta?  The thing you hate most is ganking.  During Beta, this game was a gankers paradise.  Now as one who did almost entirely 6 v 6's, I seldom got caught to be ganked (and even then, raa mc's in the hands of freetraders during launch were literally unkillable lol).

As fun as some of the early launch of the game was, there's no way the gank heavy mechanics could keep the game sustainable long term.  The mechanics of the OS all around were borked.  Best shipcom game period.  Way better than EVE's combat.  Also great econ.  But the OS and avcom mechanics were so borked (to say NOTHING of the flawed rvr port battle system).

Is a shame, as this game had a lot of great things going for it.

• captALLANcaptALLAN Member Posts: 2

Bonjours   Hi

Je pense qu'il on prie la bonne décision!

Donc être patient !!!

En espèrent qu'il pense aux Français !

Dans leur site un espace pour nous (pas drôle quand un joueur me dit d'écrire en anglais)

ou avoir un bon traducteur !!!

Originally posted by iceman00
    Originally posted by Arclan I got one of those two. Interesting to see if Flying Labs will alter the game. Hopefully so. Things I didn't like about the game: 1. If you are ganked while in the red zone, your friend's cannot join the battle/help you out. 2. The auction house to buy/sell goods was only usable if you were in the port; you could not see buy/sell orders in other ports (like you can in Eve). Hated this. Wonder if Flying Labs will go back to how it was in beta; when players loved the game. They completely changed the game to reach a broader audience. Brilliant move there. For example, the implementation of the arcade-style world map instead of keeping players in the first peson perspective (which you now see only during combat).
    No offense, but were you around during beta?  The thing you hate most is ganking.  During Beta, this game was a gankers paradise.  Now as one who did almost entirely 6 v 6's, I seldom got caught to be ganked (and even then, raa mc's in the hands of freetraders during launch were literally unkillable lol).

As fun as some of the early launch of the game was, there's no way the gank heavy mechanics could keep the game sustainable long term.  The mechanics of the OS all around were borked.  Best shipcom game period.  Way better than EVE's combat.  Also great econ.  But the OS and avcom mechanics were so borked (to say NOTHING of the flawed rvr port battle system).

Thanks. Couple things. Although I mentioned ganking first, my second point is by far the primary reason I stopped playing.

I didn't play in beta. But, I played first day of launch and read the forums a lot. The beta testers had much to say. Like how the game changed massively from beta to launch, not because of beta test feedback, but because of 'the suits.' I heard the beta version of the game was a much richer experience.

My question to you (if you ever return to this old thread) is, when did you sign up for beta? Start, mid, end? And how many hours did you spend playing it during the beta.

Originally posted by iceman00

Originally posted by Arclan I got one of those two. Interesting to see if Flying Labs will alter the game. Hopefully so. Things I didn't like about the game: 1. If you are ganked while in the red zone, your friend's cannot join the battle/help you out. 2. The auction house to buy/sell goods was only usable if you were in the port; you could not see buy/sell orders in other ports (like you can in Eve). Hated this. Wonder if Flying Labs will go back to how it was in beta; when players loved the game. They completely changed the game to reach a broader audience. Brilliant move there. For example, the implementation of the arcade-style world map instead of keeping players in the first peson perspective (which you now see only during combat).

Thanks. Couple things. Although I mentioned ganking first, my second point is by far the primary reason I stopped playing.

I didn't play in beta. But, I played first day of launch and read the forums a lot. The beta testers had much to say. Like how the game changed massively from beta to launch, not because of beta test feedback, but because of 'the suits.' I heard the beta version of the game was a much richer experience.

My question to you (if you ever return to this old thread) is, when did you sign up for beta? Start, mid, end? And how many hours did you spend playing it during the beta.

I was in beta from the get go, but rarely had time to play it.  I was a horrid beta tester for that game lol.  I did read the forums regularly, and I did test a bit more extensively near the end.  (I'd say somewhere round 70 hours, the majority of it mid to back end.)

In my view, the biggest changes didn't come from beta to launch, but within the first 6 months or so of the game after launch.  Pirates were made a LOT MORE POWERFUL, especially once people like Perci Haddoch perfected the TMTD stern charge.  Then FLS introduced the lolbuccaneer.

Another problem with the "far richer experience" viewpoint is people didn't figure out all the ways to bork the game yet.  The broken damage resistance mechanics were in from day one, but it took Renegade Legion stat monkeys to combine builds with gear to get northward of 80% damage resistance.

Beta had a far more carefree environment, as it was composed of a lot of the hardcores.  People didn't give a shit about pixels.  They also knew that after beta it wouldn't matter, so it allowed people to be a lot bolder in their experimentation.  You had RP'ers like Jack Simple taking out first rates with cutters, all the while roleplaying the experience for all to see.

Me, I wasn't really big with the hardcore crowd during beta, so I guess I got to see the more negative end of the experience.  Beta was fun.  But it wasn't the paradise a lot of people make it out to be.  It was "fun", because a lot of us didn't understand the game and how to really exploit it.   After launch I started playing a lot more, and helped make Blackbeard one of the more entertaining servers to play on.

The way I look at it, you had to have at least 100 hours in the 6 v 6 or port battle system before you could say you had a sound grasp of the pvp system.  Most people simply didn't rack 100 hours of pvp experience during Beta, so a lot of the stuff went undiscovered.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Okay, I've been trying now for about a week to log in, and find a "code".  I see nothing.  Not to mention Portalus doesn't seem set up to receive a code as far as I can tell.  The 31st is looming closer and I would really like to transfer my information, yet I don't see a way to get a "migration code". 

Its certainly not there at the log in screen.  And the link provided to enter the code once you have it, to the Portalus game site, doesn't have an entry field.  Its weird. 

What am I doing wrong here??? Anything?  Everything?  Im extremely confused.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528

I never liked the all-instanced combat of it. It was like an old-school JRPG; all that was missing was the "WOOOSH!" sound. I did enjoy the ship combat however. My guess is it would be too much of an overhaul to have a non-instanced combat system. The great carribbean/pirate MMO continues to elude us....