Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alienware X51 or custom rig

anthony21690anthony21690 Member UncommonPosts: 119
Hey guys, I posted a while back in hopes that you guys would help reduce the cost of my custom build and you guys did an amazing job, however I was just in best buy and I couldn't help but notice the x51 basic pc for 900$ I wanted to run at least Far Cry 3 on max and I was wondering if the x51 could pull the job off thanks in advance gents!

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

It very well may, but overall that $900 can be used to build a superior rig the best buy deal.

I Have played Far cry 3 alot on my PC. I have a 7870, i5 2500k @ 4.4, 16g Ram, and SSD, ect basically. I can max out everything at 1920x1200 resolution and get around 30fps. I cut down to just " high " settings basically and hit 45+ constant.

would help if you posted the specs of that Best buy PC.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    A $900 version of an Alienware X51 will use a GeForce GT 640, which offers around 1/4 of the graphical performance of jdnewell's Radeon HD 7870.  It can probably make Far Cry 3 playable, but not at anywhere near max settings.  Far Cry 3 is a very demanding game.
  • anthony21690anthony21690 Member UncommonPosts: 119

Hmm what would you recommend then?  I also found this computer on newegg I was wondering if it would be better for me to order that computer and if I had any real gripes with it to just order another gpu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227443

Originally posted by jdnewell

It very well may, but overall that $900 can be used to build a superior rig the best buy deal.

I Have played Far cry 3 alot on my PC. I have a 7870, i5 2500k @ 4.4, 16g Ram, and SSD, ect basically. I can max out everything at 1920x1200 resolution and get around 30fps. I cut down to just " high " settings basically and hit 45+ constant.

Gtx 660 1.5gb

6gigs of ram

I5 3.1 ghz processor

and a 1tb drive

Edit: Dunno why I didn't just post the link to the actual computer...silly me: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alienware+-+X51+Desktop+-+6GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive/6912556.p;jsessionid=F1677486BF7E9D740A68C2E5EF7AA869.bbolsp-app01-65?id=1218812711766&skuId=6912556&st=x51&cp=1&lp=2#tab=specifications

Also the newegg pc that I posted above comes with a combo monitor that was also a very nice seller for me seeing as how I currently have no monitor.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by anthony21690

Gtx 660 1.5gb

6gigs of ram

I5 3.1 ghz processor

and a 1tb drive

Edit: Dunno why I didn't just post the link to the actual computer...silly me: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alienware+-+X51+Desktop+-+6GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive/6912556.p;jsessionid=F1677486BF7E9D740A68C2E5EF7AA869.bbolsp-app01-65?id=1218812711766&skuId=6912556&st=x51&cp=1&lp=2#tab=specifications

Also the newegg pc that I posted above comes with a combo monitor that was also a very nice seller for me seeing as how I currently have no monitor.

#1 1TB or 47TB?  Who cares? Get a Solid state drive.

#2 For a brand new system, GTX 660 is crap.  Why do you list video card ram?  Are you planning on a multiple monitor system?  Go with 670 or above.

#3 For your processor, you want to aim for a 5GHZ overclock, and land somewhere between a stable 4.3 and 4.8 GHZ.  That processor does not look like it supports overclocking, because it does not have the letter K after it.

#4  The system you posted looks like an Xbox.  Xboxes are known for the red ring of death.  Why?  Poor air flow.  Air flow can make or break a system in the long term.

#5 Power supply?  Motherboard?  Who knows?  As in, who knows which scrap bin they came from.  They won't last.

#6 6GB ram?  With what timings?  Most gamers are going for 8GB and up.

In summary, if you want a barely adequate system that will last about 9 months, go for it.  If not, double down and build your own.

Edit:  #7 Windows 8 preinstalled?  You know some game companies are not supporting Windows 8?  And if something goes wrong and Windows needs to be reinstalled, you are out hundreds.  NEVER, NEVER buy a system that doesn't come with a full copy of windows.

Edit:  Monitors are cheap as crap right now.  Forget the "included" ones and get something that supports a high refresh rate and a lot of colors on screen.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Hmm what would you recommend then?  I also found this computer on newegg I was wondering if it would be better for me to order that computer and if I had any real gripes with it to just order another gpu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227443

I am assuming your budget is around $900-$1000? since you were looking at a 900 $ best buy deal.

Go to http://avadirect.com and look at their prebuilts ( if you must order a prebuilt ). You can pick and choose your hardware configuration. They use solid parts even  without customizing them.

For $900-$1000 budget you can get a very decent AMD system, Intel will run you a bit more.

Overall I would advise to build your own or buy parts and pay someone local to put it together. If that is not an option then I personally would  buy from AVA direct.

Just my 2cp

Originally posted by Souldrainer

Gtx 660 1.5gb

6gigs of ram

I5 3.1 ghz processor

and a 1tb drive

#2 For a brand new system, GTX 660 is crap.  Why do you list video card ram?  Are you planning on a multiple monitor system?  Go with 670 or above.

#3 For your processor, you want to aim for a 5GHZ overclock, and land somewhere between a stable 4.3 and 4.8 GHZ.  That processor does not look like it supports overclocking, because it does not have the letter K after it.

#4  The system you posted looks like an Xbox.  Xboxes are known for the red ring of death.  Why?  Poor air flow.  Air flow can make or break a system in the long term.

#5 Power supply?  Motherboard?  Who knows?  As in, who knows which scrap bin they came from.  They won't last.

In summary, if you want a barely adequate system that will last about 9 months, go for it.  If not, double down and build your own.

Edit:  #7 Windows 8 preinstalled?  You know some game companies are not supporting Windows 8?  And if something goes wrong and Windows needs to be reinstalled, you are out hundreds.  NEVER, NEVER buy a system that doesn't come with a full copy of windows.

Edit:  Monitors are cheap as crap right now.  Forget the "included" ones and get something that supports a high refresh rate and a lot of colors on screen.

All I can really say to this is I have an extremely tight budget that's why I'm springing for these, teenagers can't exactly afford the best rigs XD

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

Gtx 660 1.5gb

6gigs of ram

I5 3.1 ghz processor

and a 1tb drive

All I can really say to this is I have an extremely tight budget that's why I'm springing for these, teenagers can't exactly afford the best rigs XD

If you are a PC gaming enthusiast, you will almost always have to save up to get what you want.  Any chance you can bank the extra cash and save up for a little while?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• DobuzinskyDobuzinsky Member Posts: 9
    I have to agree.  AVA Direct has the MOST cusomizations available, offered me crazy good customer service and a price I couldn't match ordering the components and assembling them myself.  I won't vouch for others' experiences, but in my case, they exceeded all expectations.