Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ToOW: So far so good

ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

So far, the quality of the ToOQ expansion is far superior to ROTW.  Anyone remember the day after ROTW was released the flood of posts on the offical forums about bugged quests?  So far, there's been very few or no posts related to bugged quests.  The main thing people are complaining about though is the loot camping happening or if it's not camping it's the 100's of other people also doing the same quest and trying to kill the same guy to get credit :(  I did see a CSR take action on a bunch of people camping today tho, they got warped away (hopefully into lava image) and the rest of us were able to get our loot.  I'm sure it'll die down tho as the majority of people get the quest out of the way and move on.

Apart from that, I'm really enjoying it.  The quests have some depth, and I've only come across one quest that's the usual go here and kill X amount.  The stories the NPC's have to tell are quite immersing and I reccommend everyone takes time to read what they have to say or you're missing out. 

Overall, it seems SOE have learnt alot from ROTW, very few bugs and no invisible walls!  There are only a very few areas on Mustafar where you have to follow a path, the rest you take whatever route you want.

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

So far no real problems. Problems I have encountered so far is :

a) Lag ... if you have the heat shimmer effect on, you lose 10+ frames.  And of course there are MANY people on Mustafar at the moment all at the same place. Go to options, switch off heat shimmer.

b) Warped to limbo bug .... if you first arrive on Mustafar and walk into the Mining facility, sometimes you end up floating in space. If you type /unstick or /eject  you appear in the facility. I encountered that bug in beta and /bugged it ... seems it does happen rarely on live servers too.

Have fun

Erillion

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508

Still not worth $29.99 to me. Half the quests of ROTW and no space zone? Let it drop to a reasonable amount and then I might be persuaded but as it stands its one expansion I can and WILL live without.

Kai

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

True, but alot of the quests in ROTW weren't worth the time (ie, the ones that give you 10k credits image).  It seems ToOW quests are in the fashion of ROTW's best quests and then improves from there.  I wouldn't count on it dropping in a hurry tho :(

I think Space was left out so everyone could pick it up without having to also purchase JTL.  Alot of people whined with the last expansion that JTL was included for "free" after they had paid for it seperately

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

I heard a nasty rumour that ToOW is having a serious problem with people camping (other than the quest people themselves) the Quest bosses for money, etc.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Originally posted by Obraik

True, but alot of the quests in ROTW weren't worth the time (ie, the ones that give you 10k credits image).  It seems ToOW quests are in the fashion of ROTW's best quests and then improves from there.  I wouldn't count on it dropping in a hurry tho :(
    I think Space was left out so everyone could pick it up without having to also purchase JTL.  Alot of people whined with the last expansion that JTL was included for "free" after they had paid for it seperately

I think its because the developers ran out of ideas with JTL. The way its set up, there literally is just so much you can do before your SOL. And they decided to just let it go. I doubt we will see any new space zones or heavy space content for a long long time.

Kai

We also have two space zones without planets image.  I don't think they've forgotten about space, example is pub 24 that included a major revamp to one of the major end goals (multiplayer ships).  In the end tho, JTL will always come second place to the ground game content wise because that's where most of the people play.

Enigma, yeah it is true (I even mentioned it in my original post image).  Report any players you see camping, the CSRs do take notice and will warp them.  Yeah, it sucks but there's really no other way around it other then putting each of those NPC's in their own instance - something people also whinged about with ROTW image.  If you can get a full group together, and all focus your fire you can usually outdamage the campers

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

I hope you are wrong Kai.

And I of course agree with Obraik, but I was grouped with him much of the time...

Originally posted by daeandor

I hope you are wrong Kai.
    And I of course agree with Obraik, but I was grouped with him much of the time...

I hope I am wrong too....

But here is the problem. They set JTL up as an expansion and not free content. In effect they shot themselves in the foot with JTL. Now they cant make it integral to the game since they have to think about the people that dont have it. And we all know if they did try that the minority, who dont have it, would raise a fit. So their only option is give it away free. Then you got all those that bought it mad. A darned if you and darned if you dont situation.

And since they got that 3 year old writing content for them, there is no way they can come up with decent ideas without making it integral. Hence JTL is on the backburner or back of their minds forever or until they wake up and just bite the bullet.

This is one thing I believe. In order for this game to become the huge success it could have been, the developers need to just bite the bullet. They messed up alot in the early days and now they are paying for it. Too many jedi, JTL an expansion, player cities, etc. They need to admit they messed up and take the hit to correct it. Yes alot would quit over it but most of those would come back once they see it was for the greater good. And even more new players would flock to the game. So my opinion is if they corrected alot of these huge mistakes, they could double and even triple the community size inside of a few months.

Kai

• enzymeenzyme Member UncommonPosts: 464

I really liked um, running around on mustafar, what's the recommended combat level for it?

I have ROTW also, but for some reason whenever I go into a shuttleport, I cannot see it on the planetary map to get to it.

Current Games:

Originally posted by enzyme

I really liked um, running around on mustafar, what's the recommended combat level for it?
    I have ROTW also, but for some reason whenever I go into a shuttleport, I cannot see it on the planetary map to get to it.

I'd say that to run around on Mustafar you need to be around CL65+ and grouped (for the level bonus) with a CL80 since nearly everything on the planet is CL65-85, with the average probably landing around CL79.

To get to Kashyyyk, you need to launch your ship into space and then use the ship's hyperspace to reach the Kashyyyk Neutral Territories.  Kashyyyk does not show up as a travel option in spaceports, but does from your spaceship.

I'd say that to run around on Mustafar you need to be around CL65+ and grouped (for the level bonus) with a CL80 since nearly everything on the planet is CL65-85, with the average probably landing around CL79.

To get to Kashyyyk, you need to launch your ship into space and then use the ship's hyperspace to reach the Kashyyyk Neutral Territories.  Kashyyyk does not show up as a travel option in spaceports, but does from your spaceship.

awesome thanks! I was about to call SOE and be like WTF! I paid for it give me the planet! LOL

Current Games:

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

*DO*
    *NOT*
    *CARE*
    *HOW*
    *GOOD*
    *THE*
    *QUESTS*
    *ARE*

Bottom line: This "expansion" has barely more content in it than a weekly patch in EQ2. It's got LESS content than EITHER of EQ2's mini ($6.00) expansions that were digital downloads.

Why the hell *ANYONE* would spend $29.99 on less content than an EQ2 digital update is beyond me.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

Originally posted by Elnator

*DO*
    *NOT*
    *CARE*
    *HOW*
    *GOOD*
    *THE*
    *QUESTS*
    *ARE*
    Bottom line: This "expansion" has barely more content in it than a weekly patch in EQ2. It's got LESS content than EITHER of EQ2's mini ($6.00) expansions that were digital downloads.

Why the hell *ANYONE* would spend $29.99 on less content than an EQ2 digital update is beyond me.

Have you played the new expansion?

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Obraik
    Originally posted by Elnator
    *DO* *NOT**CARE**HOW**GOOD**THE**QUESTS**ARE*
    Why the hell *ANYONE* would spend $29.99 on less content than an EQ2 digital update is beyond me.Have you played the new expansion?

I have.. and its not worth 29.99. I'd pay 6 bucks though...

For someone else's account.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• Azzurri15Azzurri15 Member Posts: 69

Its has nice graphics, and effects. I liek the enviorment. Gives you the Lava feel. I like that it isn't to big. But saying that it isn't worth and extra 30$ on the 15 we pay. WHy can't they give us content w/o the extra charge? Hell COH gives new zones w/o an extra fee, so does WoW. Why can't SWG?

Originally posted by Azzurri15

Its has nice graphics, and effects. I liek the enviorment. Gives you the Lava feel. I like that it isn't to big. But saying that it isn't worth and extra 30$ on the 15 we pay. WHy can't they give us content w/o the extra charge? Hell COH gives new zones w/o an extra fee, so does WoW. Why can't SWG?

Because it is SOE.  Back in SOE's EQ days, after EQ had been in existance around 1.5 years, they released Scars of Velius and they realized that they could *really* bolster a quarters profits by releasing an expansion.  So basically they decided that they needed to release a new expansion for EQ at least every 6 months to maintain subscriptions and boost their bottom line.  IMO they use this business formula with all their games that are moderately successful.  SWG was just over 1.5 years old and now you see them start doing the same.  Jump to lightspeed, Rage of the Wookies, and now Trials of Obi-Wan.  I  would expect a new space expansion around the anniversary of JTL and another ground expansion to follow shortly after, it is just their formula and it makes them money.

Other companies have followed similar suit with moderate success.  Using EQ2 as an example is just an showing how SOE has evolved their expansion model since EQ and SWG came out.  In the end, they have stated that they expect to release an adventure pack every couple of months, so in reality you will be paying nearly the same.

Economically, these games are luxury items that people will continue to pay for as long as they feel it has entertainment value.  So argueing that one person's Mercedes is less / more expensive than another person's Corvette is irrelevant.  They are both luxury cars that different people are going to like one over the other and consequently pay the listed price.

Anyhow, in the end, lets wait and see what happens over at WoW after it has been in existance for more than a year or 2.  I suspect you might see some pay-to-play expansions start popping up.  Same goes for CoH.

• Dark_Lord_13Dark_Lord_13 Member Posts: 248

Originally posted by kaibigan34

I think its because the developers ran out of ideas with JTL. The way its set up, there literally is just so much you can do before your SOL. And they decided to just let it go. I doubt we will see any new space zones or heavy space content for a long long time.

Kai

Kai, I hope you're wrong too, I don't even play anymore, but If they ran out of stuff to do in space what does that say for the state of the dev's ability to create new content for the game?  Especially after 4 versions of Star Wars flight sims.  Not to mention they have not (to my knowledge) combined Space and ground.  Example: having pirates attacking you on ground and in the air because your mission is carrying an item that they are trying to steal.  Or get a mission from a faction flight commander to go to planet x and attack an opposing faction base.  But after attacking the base the opposing faction is waiting in ambush in space for you to try to Hyperspace out of the sector.  I can come up with them, so surely they can.

Yup they really need to work on blending the ground and space game.

Personally I think they should get rid of the interplanetary shuttles and force players to use ships instead. And take all the "Adventure" planets OFF the 'instajump' list at the starports. Only the starter planets should be on them. All other planets should REQUIRE you to fly to them.

Just my opinion though.

On top of that I think they should give all pilots access to 'civillian' chassis. If you fly in a faction ship you should automatically be flagged PVP active in space. If you fly in a civvie ship you're non-PVP.

Or, here's a crazy thought: Make it so ONLY a neutral / civvie pilot can fly "covert" and any rebel or imp pilot that goes up in a faction ship is auto-pvp (note: tier 5 rebel and imp pilots BOTH have access to a "civvie" style ship I believe, I could be remembering wrong on the imps but I KNOW rebels do).... This would make faction members who want to fly to an adventure planet have to find a civvie pilot to take 'em there. (might be a bit too harsh though)

I'm sick of flying around overt in my X-Wing and seeing some guy in a Tie that I can't destroy because he's "neutral". LOL what a farce that is.

Bring the GCW to space, require players to be OVERT if they are going to fly a faction ship. Period.

Those few *relatively minor* changes would bring a lot of action back into space.

Sig image Pending

Not a bad idea, planets should be unlocked by combat level.

I really wanted to see space-based missions that require boarding parties and space stations,

ex. fly/fight your ship through some type of blockade then dock with some station and fight on the inside clearing it out.

Current Games:

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Space is SUCH a fertile ground for content.

Especially after all the things they added spacewise foe Kashyyyk. I don't see why every sector can't have an Avitar-like platform. Make an imp one that rebs can raid... etc etc etc.

There is SO much that CAN do.. they just don't.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

What they could do is maybe upgrade the Corvette quests so rather then getting a ticket, you have to fight it down and then board it in space :)

But yeah, Kashyyyk introduced a number of combined ground and space missions (two of the areas in Kashyyyk you can't get access to until you complete the space part).  They also added a handful of new quests in some recent publishes (ie. free) which involve both ground and space.

Not a bad idea, planets should be unlocked by combat level.
    I really wanted to see space-based missions that require boarding parties and space stations,

ex. fly/fight your ship through some type of blockade then dock with some station and fight on the inside clearing it out.

What? No, planets shouldn't need to be unlocked by combat level. But you shouldn't be able to just take a shuttle everywhere in the game. Defeats the whole purpose of having space ships of our own.

Sig image Pending

I hate to say it Elnator, I don't think that getting rid of the shuttle system would improve the game in any way.  Taking away instant travel will only frustrate most of the ground based playerbase.

As far as requiring you to go overt in a factional ship.  Well, that would be fine once you are master since you can choose between a factional ship and civilian ship.  However, what about the true newbs?  They get issued a factional ship to start and would have no choice but to fly factional ships until 4xxx.  That is a long time to go with an open pvp flag.  Add to that the fact that most true newbs in space *really* don't understand how to fly in SWG until they are on the master block and are getting destroyed in kessel (if they don't have an ace do the mission for them).  They would get frustrated with the 1 shot kills by any slightly higher skilled / equiped opposing factional pilot and probably quit the space game defeating the whole purpose.  Can you imagine what travel to Kashyyyk would be like?  It would be a mess with people spawn camping, griefing, omg I don't want to think about it anymore.

All that said, I do think there needs to be some balance in the space / ground game that just does not exist.  ROTW brought in some, but there needs to be more.

I hate to say it Elnator, I don't think that getting rid of the shuttle system would improve the game in any way. Taking away instant travel will only frustrate most of the ground based playerbase.
    As far as requiring you to go overt in a factional ship. Well, that would be fine once you are master since you can choose between a factional ship and civilian ship. However, what about the true newbs? They get issued a factional ship to start and would have no choice but to fly factional ships until 4xxx. That is a long time to go with an open pvp flag. Add to that the fact that most true newbs in space *really* don't understand how to fly in SWG until they are on the master block and are getting destroyed in kessel (if they don't have an ace do the mission for them). They would get frustrated with the 1 shot kills by any slightly higher skilled / equiped opposing factional pilot and probably quit the space game defeating the whole purpose. Can you imagine what travel to Kashyyyk would be like? It would be a mess with people spawn camping, griefing, omg I don't want to think about it anymore.
    All that said, I do think there needs to be some balance in the space / ground game that just does not exist. ROTW brought in some, but there needs to be more.

Reading comprehension obviously isn't your strong suit.

I said that they should give ALL pilots access to the civillian chassis. DUH

Sig image Pending