Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: Making Buy-to-Play Worth It

2»

Comments

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by Ozimandeus

Have come back to TSW - was a beta player, and took out a lifetime subby on release. However I played GW2 from launch and have now tired of the puerile nature of that game - come on, I'm a 40 year old man.. Christmas Dolls? and Santa Claus? Christmas Presents and Candy Canes? it does bugger all for me. I'm now coming back to TSW and finding that the 'floaty' combat has been tightened up, the FPS rates have improved and the overall game just works better than before. Better yet, whilst the winter content was a tad disappointing, at least it was a zombie invasion on the 21st, that wasn't insulting to my intelligence and age! (take note Anet).

Now very happy I invested in a Life time subby. Very happy at the idea of new monthly content stream, but I do hope for a very content heavy expansion at some point - If Funcom guys read this - Please can we have new areas, Soloman Island, Egypt and Trans are all brilliant.. but it would be fab to see new areas - I know Tokyo is coming, but how about doing something a bit less obvious? how about Australia? or Hong Kong/Singapore? - an east-meets-west locale would make for some very interesting story lines as well as provide an awesome backdrop of high rise and neon, poverty and wealth side by side providing locations that would be very diverse. Lore encompassing aboriginal ideas and Chinese mythology would be just awesome.

Overall really happy with the transformation to B2P and hope funcom can restore their fortunes now that TSW has matured and (hopefully) have secured a good revenue stream to ensure this games continued presence in the MMOSphere.

Hi, can anyone who's playing expand on the combat "tightening" . It was one of the reasons that I stopped. To me it just felt clunky - has this improved? That would be good news.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 630

The ARG event drew me back in with the B2P being the kicker. I've had great fun finishing the last of the quests in Kingsmouth and remembering how to "craft" (most complicated system ever). But I see me balancing TSW with GW2 for the near term as I get mostly late night, short play sessions.

Kingsmouth is not overflowing with players at 11 PM CST but it's not completely "dead" either.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 630
    I'm trying to figure out why subscribers have to even pay at all for DLC (perhaps other than an expansion)... even DCUO gives subscribers their DLC packs!
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by pvthudson01
    [mod edit]

wow i,m a moron am i? i got two lifetime subs..one to TSW and one to Lotro..total cost for both £225 or thereabouts..the lotro the cheapest at £75.i bought the lotro lifetime about 3 yrs ago.while codemasters had the game.so i have had 3 yrs for a yrs sub price when you look at  it that way..and i,m a moron.TSW i will get my moneys worth..been playing since release and this game is way better than gw2.i take a break now and then knowing i can go back anytime without having to sub..so i got lotro,TSW,gw2..and no sub to pay..i guess morons come in all shapes and sizes these days

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Benbrada
    I'm trying to figure out why subscribers have to even pay at all for DLC (perhaps other than an expansion)... even DCUO gives subscribers their DLC packs!

Subs and lifetimes get 1200 free points every month.  The cost of a DLC for subs and lifetimes will never be over 1200 points. See how that works?  Anything left over can be used in the shop (with discounts for subs and lifetimers).

• Spectral08Spectral08 Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by kevjards
    Originally posted by pvthudson01
    [mod edit]

wow i,m a moron am i? i got two lifetime subs..one to TSW and one to Lotro..total cost for both £225 or thereabouts..the lotro the cheapest at £75.i bought the lotro lifetime about 3 yrs ago.while codemasters had the game.so i have had 3 yrs for a yrs sub price when you look at  it that way..and i,m a moron.TSW i will get my moneys worth..been playing since release and this game is way better than gw2.i take a break now and then knowing i can go back anytime without having to sub..so i got lotro,TSW,gw2..and no sub to pay..i guess morons come in all shapes and sizes these days

I'm another moron.  Imagine that I was so happy with the quality of the story and atmosphere of the starter zone (during their last BWE) that I bought the lifetime sub because I knew it would continue to pique my interest at least long enough to get my money's worth.  As a few others have said, the mature storyline is very refreshing.

The only thing I can't wait to see from Funcom is more zones for the game.  I have not yet finished the game - some of the quests are actually on the hard side for me, as I am not that skilled in avoiding attacks (my limitation, not the game's).  But I LOVE the setting and quests, the zones are so immersive that I want more. Since everything is real, there is so much to tap into.

I'm sad for Funcom that TSW wasn't an immediate success, but happy that they are continuing to go forward with honesty, transparency, and a chin's up attitude.

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267

Disclaimer: To some this is going to sound harsh and off topic... But it needs to be said!

To get the "Buy to Play" model to work Funcom needs to make the Secret World a more enjoyable experience.  Here are some suggestions:

1. Do away with all the "Solo Only" content.  Why should I play an MMORPG that won't let me play the game with a friend, al the least?  Sure I can play alone... but that's not the point.

2. They need to make the missions less obtuse and frustraiting.  Sure I can use Google to figure out the puzzles.  But in my mind that's not as much fun as playing a game where its not required. Then there are the missions that can't be completed without dying repeatedly.  Or the promotion missions that just disappear if you don't do them like "NOW!!"  

3. They need to put things on the Item Store that make sense.  And just clothing is not what I'm talking about.  Say I want my sword to look like a Katana.  Just because I like the style of that item.  They should sell me something that will let me modify the appearance of whatever weapon  I happen to have at the moment.

Seriously, all this is pretty basic from my perspective.  I only recently started playing Secret World and compared to another "Buy to Play" game (try Googling Guild Wars 2) this game is lacking.  I wouldn't even play if a friend of mine didn't love it and buy me AP boosters and such.  I'd even prefer to subscribe to a game like SWTOR because the gameplay is more enjoyable.  But I won't because I already have GW2 and Areana Net got it right.  They make me want to buy extra stuff in their shop because they've thought the whole thing through.  Funcom, by comparison, are amatures at best.

One Last Note: I hate, despise, and loath, all things related to the Mayans after playing this game for only a few days.  And if Funcom can't come up with something better then they don't deserve to have a loyal player base.  The game would be much improved if they deleted all that BS.  Then I might not object to being forced to google stuff all the time.  Where, at present, I hate the way it spawns a "Servant of the One Death" every time I stand in one spot longer than 3 seconds... Or it constantly spawns them in front of me as I run down the road.  That just makes me want to hunt down Joel Bylos and kick him in the backside (yes, I'm kidding... but I would have a few choice words for him if I ever met him).

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    I see the prices of the DLC's going up over time. And i do hope there is actualy content in these and just not a mission that takes a hour or two to finish. If the DLC's dont offer a good bit, not sure how many will actualy pay for these.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

@JudgeUK The way I'd describe the "tightening" is that upper and lower torso now work together instead of seeming disconnected and really loose and weird. It's much improved from beta.

I'm a moron too. I paid up front for 13 months of subscription because I'd never heard of a game changing its revenue model in that short of time. Now I have. I was initially a pretty po'd poster on the forums but once Funcom rolled out the auto-buy feature I chilled. Some people want points to buy vanity items but I just want access to the content I paid for. Now I'll have it and that's all I care about.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    $200 is pretty reasonable as far as lifetime memberships go. Consider that this is not much more than the $150 price tag SWTOR put on their Collector's Edition. And when they went free to play what did you get for your CE? 1000 cartel coins ONE TIME ONLY and a banner that you never use. Hmmmm, that extra $50 seem like it was much better spent with Funcom.

All die, so die well.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by DaSpack
    It's simple. This is same B2P as Guildwars 2. Only thing is that the contentpacks come out more rapidly with TSW. Thats a good thing, not a bad thing as some of the nimwits in here portray it :P

Is it a good thing if they charge 5 bucks every time a content pack comes out??...That sounds like nickle and diming to me......ALso where do you draw the line??....Alot of us felt TSW had way too little content at release...If this model is accepted, you'll start to see games releasing almost no content then charging customers for constant content updates.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Ok, but since I see nothing about actual gameplay or adressing the problems that made them shift to B2P in the first place...

Yeah, still not interested in it...

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Plenty of reviews and articles about gameplay and why it went b2p out there; try this thing called Google, it's a wondrous thing.   Hmm complaints about too frequent content updates -- that's a new one. 
  • Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by DaSpack
    It's simple. This is same B2P as Guildwars 2. Only thing is that the contentpacks come out more rapidly with TSW. Thats a good thing, not a bad thing as some of the nimwits in here portray it :P

????

they've been the same pace so far. TSW missed a  month and dropped two closer together to compensate.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Yizle
    Originally posted by kevjards
    Originally posted by Yizle
    I did beta but did not find enough in the game then to warrant me buying it for $60 or paying a sub. So when I heard it was going B2P and found it on sale for $15 on Amazon I grabbed a copy last week.Sadly they didnt give us the 30 days of gametime you usually get when you buy a game so I did not get any points for buying it. But will play through all the content that is currently available and will decide then if it is worth any more of my money.

why would you need 30 days of game time on a b2p model..just asking..the content is there til you done it..and you can repeat it all again with different weapons..unless i,m misreading this.

Easy with that 1 month of game time in most games that is considered a month of sub so I would get FC points for that month. But still got the content pack 5 since I joined in Dec so I guess it works out. Its not my main game anyways but a side game for me to go along with my EQ2 sub for when I need a break.

You've got to be kidding...

You paid $15 and think you didn't get enough..............................

• BHWolfBHWolf Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Will admit that the new business model has caused me to reconsider this game; unfortunately the excessive lock-outs in the end the end game content (dungeons, etc) is what drove me away and still keeps me away. If I recall correctly the lock-out was about 16 hours for a dungeon whether you complete a run or not and, I have been advised that it has not changed.