Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Alienware System on the way: Requesting Hardware Feedback

2»

Comments

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by jdnewell

My feedback.Next time ask peoples opinions before you buy. And save around $1000 from not buying alienware. Merry xmas

Did you see his specs? Try "save $2000"

Edit: And maybe even $3000+ was wasted on this system.

Also, it's always great to go by what Quizzical says. He says any system without a Solid State Drive will run slow. It will.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    You just got ripped off...with the money you spend on that rid i could have build one that is 2x better

Originally posted by Dantae87

You just got ripped off...with the money you spend on that rid i could have build one that is 2x better

I bet you could build two systems that are way faster. He didn't post the price tag, but I bet it's massive. OP, you should return the whole thing and then post your budget on the hardware forums and let us help you.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    LOLOLOL. WOW, JUST WOW!!!!!!!!!
  • PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Not sure why all the Dell hate?  Alienware is garbage yes... and is now owned by Dell.

My company buys me a laptop every 2 years for Business purposes.  Two years ago I had an Asus G51J.  Thing is MASSIVE, blows out heat like no other, but did pretty well for the most part.  Battery life of an hour at best.

Just got myself Dell XPS 15...

My gaming DESKTOP is probably 6 months old, build myself for around 1700?  And is probably on par with my laptop now which was 2200...   I'd gladly pay an extra 500 to shrink my massive gaming desktop to the size of my laptop and have it be mobile!

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Next time build it yourself and save 1500 bucks.

Going back through the thread, I noticed people pegged that system at ~$4000.

If you are a gamer, you want a system that is fast and frugal, and you don't want crap you do not need. 32gb RAM on a modern gaming rig is like putting monster truck tires on an F1 racer... useless, overpriced, and wasteful. The whole system reeks of this. It has too much Video Ram for a single monitor system. The Processor is not only over-priced, but also the wrong one for gamers. The cooling, mobo, and power supply are crap. The system will come with bloatware, and you might even get a system restore disc instead of a full cipy of windows. And, let's just repeat, the hard drive config is outdated and clunky. OP, just mail me $2000 instead and I'll build you a screaming system that beats this and only pocket $300 for myself instead of $3000 like Dell.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Yep, totally agree. Building your own PC can save you a lot of money, the PC's Alienware are selling is way, way overpriced. I built my own more or less the same spec for £690 pounds.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by Painlezz

Not sure why all the Dell hate?  Alienware is garbage yes... and is now owned by Dell.

My company buys me a laptop every 2 years for Business purposes.  Two years ago I had an Asus G51J.  Thing is MASSIVE, blows out heat like no other, but did pretty well for the most part.  Battery life of an hour at best.

Just got myself Dell XPS 15...

My gaming DESKTOP is probably 6 months old, build myself for around 1700?  And is probably on par with my laptop now which was 2200...   I'd gladly pay an extra 500 to shrink my massive gaming desktop to the size of my laptop and have it be mobile!

Yep, gaming laptops do put out a ton of heat.  And if you keep the video card running all of the time rather than being able to switch it off, you don't get much battery life.

A Dell XPS 15 might be a perfectly good laptop for some purposes, but gaming isn't one of them.  Even the top end version of it only has a GeForce GT 640M, which is the low bin of the lowest end GPU chip of this generation.  That will lose badly as compared to even a $100 desktop video card, let alone what you should have gotten on a $1700 budget.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by Jorl

Yep, totally agree. Building your own PC can save you a lot of money, the PC's Alienware are selling is way, way overpriced. I built my own more or less the same spec for £690 pounds.

No, as a matter of fact, you didn't.  A Core i7-3960X alone likely costs more than that.  "Just as good for gaming purposes" isn't at all similar to "the same specs".

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by Jorl

No, as a matter of fact, you didn't.  A Core i7-3960X alone likely costs more than that.  "Just as good for gaming purposes" isn't at all similar to "the same specs".

I think they are in the £800 price range over here.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

alienware is a brand name.. like reebox and air jordans.. doesnt mean its good.. just over priced,  checking out the winter/newyear deals on like newegg could/would save you a small fortune when it comes time to build/upgrade a pc.

if you want even better prices shop around in your home city for a mom and pops pc shop. (if its a decent shop anyway) they tend to be even cheaper some times. or save you shipping as you can pick it up that day in store. 

other then that.. i guess thats not a bad system, paid a tad too much for it imo but its not bad :/  no reason to go above 6gb of system ram unless you are doing video/audio editing though.. as most games and even windows doesnt even require more then 4 at times.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by mlgamer

Greetings everone and happy holidays!

I just bougt my very first gaming computer and wanted feedback on the hardware selected.  The system is an Alienware R-4 with the ALX chassis and the following specifications:

Intel Core i7-3960X (Six Core Extreme, 15MB Cache) Overclocked up to 4.0Ghz

32GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

Alienware MM Keyboard, US

Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7870

Serial ATA III RAID 0 with Dual 2TB Hard Drives

Alienware Aurora X79 with ALX Chassis

19-in-1 Media Card ReaderWindows 7 Professional 64 bit SP1, English, w/Media

Internal USB Bluetooth + WLAN

AlienFX Color, Plasma Purple

Dual Drives: BD Burn, DVD+RW

Power DVD 9.6, 3D

Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!!

First of all OP, Merry Christmas!!! :)

It seems like you're very excited to have your first gaming computer. I'm glad for you that you have a new gaming computer and I hope you enjoy it and don't have many problems with it, but I feel bad you got ripped off by dell. Like others though, I have to agree, unfortunately you spent way too much buying from Dell. You can get the same thing (actually even better because you can pick your own mb and psu etc.) for a lot less by building it yourself next time.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

That's a very powerful and expensive machine you bought.  I hope you're going to be using it for something other than gaming though.  32gb of RAM is what people use for production database servers not gaming machines.

The extreme edition CPU is overpriced for what you get.  If you were really hell bent on having 6 cores you could've gotten the 3930 for half the price.

I would also recommend getting rid of the RAID and making those drives stand alone.

Anyway, have fun with your new machine.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by dave6660

That's a very powerful and expensive machine you bought.  I hope you're going to be using it for something other than gaming though.  32gb of RAM is what people use for production database servers not gaming machines.The extreme edition CPU is overpriced for what you get.  If you were really hell bent on having 6 cores you could've gotten the 3930 for half the price.I would also recommend getting rid of the RAID and making those drives stand alone.Anyway, have fun with your new machine.

Basically, but keep in mind he needs at least one Solid State Drive for the OS. Although SSDs do have a finite lifespan, it keeps growing and growing as new ones come along, so Hard Drives are becoming a thing of the past. Anyway, I was reading an article on RAM timings while sitting here at work, and I found that it's extremely common for larger amounts of RAM to have slower clock timings. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the OPs system has these types of timings. That computer isn't even a gaming rig. Let us know when you return it, OP.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

If you are just gaming OP then the machine is an extravagant waste you will outgrow in a few years as the hardware gets dated. People have already made fun of you, told you so, and noted you might be boasting. All that said if it’s easy on your wallet then enjoy the heck out of it.  Otherwise, cancel or return ASAP and consider building your first gaming rig by hand. It's not rocket science and kind of easy these days.

• sui2ksui2k Member UncommonPosts: 30

for what u wanna use this machine? .. for playing or for 24/7 video rendering? i dont get it

CPU = failed .. a i5 is god enough for playing games

RAM = failed .. way to much 16 gb enough

GPU = 2x 7870? dafuq .. a 670 / 680 would be more than enough .. beside that 1 7870 eats around 275 w. power and take another on dat .. outsch

HDD = 2x 2 TB HDD ? wait so much money and no SSD?

all in all, you paying what .. around 2,500 - 3,000 $ / € for a pc .. which is overpriced. 25% of the price just for the name DELL / Alienware .. next 25% just for the Case and the u have around 40% for the hardware .. the last 10%  shipping costs, taxes and such things.

cancel the order, go to a hardware store around the corner or to a friend which have enouh exp. to buy the hardware and build you the system.

[sorry about my english]

Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

If you are just gaming OP then the machine is an extravagant waste you will outgrow in a few years as the hardware gets dated. People have already made fun of you, told you so, and noted you might be boasting. All that said if it’s easy on your wallet then enjoy the heck out of it.  Otherwise, cancel or return ASAP and consider building your first gaming rig by hand. It's not rocket science and kind of easy these days.

Few years?  Dude, if he wants to play games at max settings, this system is outdated RIGHT NOW!  That's part of the problem.  He bought a bunch of junk he didn't need and didn't get what he needed.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
     Alienware? Nice rig , but no SSD?  -1 right there. Sorry , but what's the point of going full hardcore and not putting any SSD's in RAID 0? It improves performance sooo much.  Sata 3 HDD but not Sata 6?    *sigh*    32G of ram is useless , even 16G is overkill for gaming at a hardcore level. The CPU and GPU are the 2 best parts you've got on there.  Wish I were your friend , could of put you a rig that would outperform what you bought for way cheaper.  But if you're rich and got money to waste , then by all means go right ahead. :)