Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so... Fallout 3? or Fallout 3: New Vegas?

aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

so what's the opinion between Fallout3 or F3 NewVegas?

they're both on sale on steam i thought i might try one.

for a reference point: i am in love with Oblivion. i have never finished the main quest line in that game. or even come close. i love the whole open world, open skill, crafting, and such.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Comments

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

To be honest, I do like both, but Vegas has much more of the old 'fallout' feeling than F3 has imo.

If I'd recommend one of them, it'd have to be Vegas. Great game tbh.

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221
    I liked New Vegas, but Fallout 3 is amung my favorite games I've ever played.
  • aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

i liked fallout 3 more. But played more of vegas specifically because it had iron sights. thats just me.

if you have played neither. Obviously play Fallout 3 first.

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    I think Vegas is better, 3 seems to lack polish or something
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    I think New Vegas absolutely decimates Fallout 3 in terms of what's available, and it actually feels like one of the old Fallout games.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    has anyone enjoyed Oblivion that can make a comparison?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    New Vegas
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Shadin

To be honest, I do like both, but Vegas has much more of the old 'fallout' feeling than F3 has imo.

If I'd recommend one of them, it'd have to be Vegas. Great game tbh.

I agree with this.New Vegas felt way more like Fallout 1 and 2 in both design and feel,better story IMO too.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

Fallout 3 for me.

I didnt like so much new vegas, still its a good game but Fallout 3 is a better choice.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by chelan

I liked fallout 3 less than Oblivion but New Vegas more.What both fallouts do better than Oblivion IMO is that they felt more like real worlds because there was much,much less repetition of indoor areas and terrain.However mechanics wise they are different fromt he elder scroll games.I personally liek the S.P..E.C.I.A.L  system more but I'm biased as an old Fallout/wasteland fan.

i spose what confuddles me, or worries me, is that i loved Oblivion when no one else seems to really care for it...hrm.

decisions, decisions. well, at least im not having to decide where my next meal is coming from.

okay. thanks all for the help!

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Every Bethesda game is 1000 times better (no exagerration) with PC mods.

Having said that...Oblivion, Fallout 3 have the best mods. Fallout New Vegas is better vanilla than the first two...didn't like the mods as much. I missed having Marts Monster Mod (or Marts Mutant Mod for Fallout 3) ...New Vegas has mods, but they seemed...kinda meh compared to FO3, Oblivion and Skyrim. There were good ones of course, but not many that I particularly liked (my opinion)

Fallout 3 trumps New Vegas on atmosphere. The Brotherhood of Steel, Brotherhood Outcasts, Enclave...the factions...the feel...the atmosphere is up there with Oblivion, and Skyrim.

New Vegas wins on story, however. (edit: I didn't see much of a gameplay difference with FO3 and NV, felt like pretty much the same game...but I'll give a couple points on NV as having more refined gameplay. Its more like Fallout 1 and 2 compared to FO3...but to be honest...didn't really like Fallout 1 and 2.)

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If you buy them on Steam right now, they are both really cheap, and they both come with the expansions. I don't know if it makes a difference, but FONV has more colors than
    FO3. That's not saying a whole lot, since FO3 was mostly greenish grey, but there it is.

I played FO3 for a couple hundred hours and I've started playing FONV and it seems like a keeper as well. One thing that you don't get with FONV is the unavoidable intro session. In FONV, you get dumped into the game and the Fallout World much faster. I think the intro in FO3 is important, and it sets up the story, but it still drags a good bit. Just keep playing through that initial setting and area...the game will open up and you will see more stuff.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• HaurusHaurus Member UncommonPosts: 18

NV is more like the originals, so if you played those before then you may prefer it.

If you get all the DLC for both, FO3 has more content.

Both very good but its hard to make a call for someone else as both have there own distinct aspects and styles. It is really a matter of preference.

I would suggest watching some youtube video's of both and use that to help you decide which looks more interesting to you.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Play both, they are cheap enough to have no real reason to skip one...and dont forget the MODS!

There are mods out there that so vastly extends the gameplay its almost crazy not to do it, and not only in area's and story but just plain what you can do in the game...example: both games has a mod that adds a...CRAFTING system, you go around and gather materials and then use them to build your own fort,with defenses and NPCs and whatnot.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I played fallout 3 one time though to the end. New vegas I did about 9 times trying different options. I found New Vegas a lot more fun. Fallout 3 was missing a lot of the ambiance to me.

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Fallout: New Vegas is going to have that Fallout 1/2 feel to it for a few simple reasons:

1. Similar area. If you are familiar with 1 or 2 then you are already familair with the players in the field. The NCR and Legion are old hat.

2. Familiar events. Hoover damn for example.

New vegas however had more bugs depending on the platform that you are using. What it didn't have is a sense of being "yourself" rather than just a pawn in the conflict

Fallout 3. I fely like my own force in the capital wasteland. Yeah there were some familiar elements but even then they were "alien"

I personally enjoyed Fallout 3 more becuase of that feeling. I also enjoyed the "newness" of the area rather than them just rehashing on all the old materials. I would have loved to see a modern version of Van Buren hit the streets with another new look on the shattered wasteland of the Unite states.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

i spose what confuddles me, or worries me, is that i loved Oblivion when no one else seems to really care for it...hrm.

decisions, decisions. well, at least im not having to decide where my next meal is coming from.

If you liked the open endedness/level scaling of Oblivion, then I suppose Fallout 3 is more similar. The game doesn't force you any particular direction, and with a level scaling system similar to Skyrim, you can just go explore and see what happens.

New Vegas is a bit more linear in that there is no level scaling. Trying to go in many areas, especially when you start off, will lead to a quick death. New Vegas does have a bit more quests/scripted things to do than Fallout 3 though. New Vegas also has a few more features in general than F3 did, such as Weapon Mods and hardcore/survival mode. These were mostly inspired by F3 mods as far as I know, so you could get them in F3 I guess if you feel like modding your game up.

Both are good, if you're willing to eventually play both, start with F3, and do NV aftewards. My personal favorite was Fallout 3, I just like the DC ruins setting better than a unscathed Desert.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

If you like Oblivion you will probably like Fallout 3 more than New Vegas. Fallout 3 is set up the same way as Oblivion whereas New Vegas is far more linear especially early on in the game. Don't get me wrong as I love 3 and New Vegas but from an Oblivion standpoint I would recommend Fallout 3 more.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }