Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New laptop win 7 or 8?

timmy12timmy12 Member UncommonPosts: 390

Alright got my new laptop today for xmas, you can see the link below. But im wondering if i should keep win 8 and play games on it or reformatt and put 7 on it? Which ever one runs gmaes better i want 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215661

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The only reason to get Windows 8, is if you can't afford to buy Windows 7 imo. I've been using windows 8 now for a while, and when i can, i fully intend to get a copy of windows 7 to replace it. i absolutely hate the start screen, and while it does have a desktop, its not great, and using it is not really that 'fluid' all in all, windows 7 is much easier to use overall.  Windows 8 might have directx 11.1 but its not really all that special, and i doubt we'll see any support for it in the next few years anyway. image
  • IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    I got a laptop with Win8 on it, and I like it alot. It takes abit to get used to the new interface.
  • joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247

I'm running W8. Have been able to play all games with 0 problems so far.

It has a better UI than w7 in my opinion. The only thing I don't like is the metro UI thing but I suggest you download this: https://www.pokki.com/

Its a nice start menu and also allows you to:

1. Boot straight to desktop

2. Disable the hotcorners (the popups when you hover in a corner of the screen).

• LackeyZeroLackeyZero Member Posts: 640

You probably wouldn't know the difference in performance when it comes to playing a game. But Windows 8 uses less resources than Windows 7, so theoretically, Windows 8 can give you better performance.

That said, I'm using Windows 7 because right now, I prefer the old way of doing things. I don't want the GUI to be like a smart phone.

Edit: @Jeori123, nice! I never knew of that. I'm bookmarking that for when/if I ever install windows 8.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    For you, I'd recommend using whatever OS came on it rather than trying to change it.  The performance difference in games between WIndows 7 and Windows 8 is basically a rounding error.
  • PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

My two desktops are windows 7 and my new laptop is windows 8.

While I dislike some things about Windows 8, I find i'll eventually get used to them and it has other features which are pretty nice.  Assuming Windows 8 isn't a flop like Windows ME, or Windows 2000... It's better to get started and used to it now so you're ready when it becomes standard.

The ONLY thing Windows 8 is missing that I care about is the start search feature.  Yes it "has" it but it doesn't work as well as windows 7.  You press start, type in sometying, and it splits things into categories forcing you to navigate the menu to see what you're looking for.  In win7 I could pretty much key anything i'm looking for into the start menu search and have it right away.

Difficult to compare because all 3 of my machines are running solid state drives and boot very quickly.  I think the windows 8 laptop is a tiny bit faster?  I press the button, I see a blue windows logo, I see the login screen.  Prob 2-3 seconds to boot (not wake... full boot from powered off state).  My desktops probably take 4-5 seconds or so.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Win 2000 wasn't a flop, it was a good OS.

But it was a server OS.

I think you're getting confused with win me, which was the desktop / home OS at the time.

Win xp is basicly win 2000, with a few graphical touches and direct x for home use.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Me and vista were the baduns imo.
  • Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    I say keep windows 8, i honestly like it but do still prefer 7 so am in dual boot. A lot of people also seem to feel that windows 8 loads things quicker for them, and in some cases i've felt that as well. 
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

A friendly comment from someone who breaks things regularly trying to fix them. :-)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by XAPGames
    If it's not broken, don't fix it. A friendly comment from someone who breaks things regularly trying to fix them. :-)

Hahah wise words! Some times I do it aswell^^

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

I would say Win 7 just from an "easy UI" perspective. I did the whole thing that Windows offered for $20 to upgrade from 7 to 8 and I was incredibly displeased. Win 8 does feel a bit faster overall but the UI kills it for me. Don't have much else to say besides that

• joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Originally posted by Sinaku

I would say Win 7 just from an "easy UI" perspective. I did the whole thing that Windows offered for $20 to upgrade from 7 to 8 and I was incredibly displeased. Win 8 does feel a bit faster overall but the UI kills it for me. Don't have much else to say besides that

Like I said in a previous post. Use a little tool to disable metro UI and give yourself a start menu. Like https://www.pokki.com/

I too think that the metro UI should have been left out in the desktop versions but with something like pokki I prefer Windows 8 over Windows 7. And this is coming from a person who didn't like W8 at first.

You just have to get past the ugly Metro Ui and it all opens up.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by joeri123
    Originally posted by Sinaku

Like I said in a previous post. Use a little tool to disable metro UI and give yourself a start menu. Like https://www.pokki.com/

I too think that the metro UI should have been left out in the desktop versions but with something like pokki I prefer Windows 8 over Windows 7. And this is coming from a person who didn't like W8 at first.

You just have to get past the ugly Metro Ui and it all opens up.

I was doing this with the laptop I got my kids for Christmas and with Metro disabled I was unable to get to certain settings, like account admin and I got really tired of having to go back into metro to dig for things that should have been in the control panel but weren't and put 7 on the laptop. The only good thing I saw in Win8 was the parental controls that came built in were awesome.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by joeri123

I'm running W8. Have been able to play all games with 0 problems so far.

It has a better UI than w7 in my opinion. The only thing I don't like is the metro UI thing but I suggest you download this: https://www.pokki.com/

Its a nice start menu and also allows you to:

1. Boot straight to desktop

2. Disable the hotcorners (the popups when you hover in a corner of the screen).

Metro is the Win8 UI. If you don't like Metro then you don't like the Win8 UI. Pokki is a third party UI, you can skin Win7 too.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

They run games nearly identically. Get Classic Shell and Win8 looks and feels just like Windows 7

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

No need to downgrade if you already have Win8.