Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your favorite Bethesda Softworks game?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

That being: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim

I think there have been some games between Daggerfall and Morrowind? Or before Daggerfall?...but you get the idea. New Vegas however does not count, because that was not made by Bethesda.

My favorites are Oblivion and Skyrim, with Fallout 3 going to a distant third.

I still play Oblivion, and the modding community has matured a lot with it...still quite a few mods for it, and still quite a few people play it. Its different enough than Skyrim, that one can (in my opinion) technically play both and enjoy them for different reasons. I might favor Oblivion a bit more, because the mods are more mature...but not just that...the game seems to...well...have more character development aspects to it. 

Skyrim however is still great, but a lot of features were taken out. Oblivion the same, with taken a lot out of Morrowind, but personally, could never get into it. I didn't like the world, and the NPCs were all static and that kinda ruins it for me. And I just never liked the look of Morrowind. But for its time, I'm sure it was great. I kinda missed out on it is the thing. I know there is the graphics overhaul mod for it that makes the graphics look WAY better, but just can't get into it. The graphics were never really a problem for me in games.

But Skyrim is AMAZING for taking screenshots, especially when modded...the game looks just beautiful. And the main story is better than doing the same Oblivion gates over and over. The sidequests are good...except for Oblivion Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, blow any of that out of the water. Especially the Brotherhood, the best quest like I've personally done in a game. or at least up there. Forgot what the mage and warrior guilds were like in Oblivion...I'll have to do them again.

As for Fallout 3, I had a lot of fun with it. The story never caught on with me, but I enjoyed playing in the world and doing the side quests. I don't play it anymore, but I played as many hours as I have Skyrim...which while I still have many hours left in Skyrim, it was still quite a lot of time played.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Morrowind
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I'd say Morrowind too.

I liked skyrim and new Vegas too

But fallout3 and especially oblivion were too "consoley"
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Niburu
    Morrowind

1) Morrowind

2) Daggerfall

3) Skyrim

4) Arena (TES 1)

5) Fallout 3

6) Oblivion (I hated it, it looks like a Bioware RPG)

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I'd say Morrowind too.

I liked skyrim and new Vegas too

But fallout3 and especially oblivion were too "consoley"

Vanilla oblivion is definitely horrible, I would never play that. Even UI is horrible. But when modded to make the game more non-consely...its a LOT better. Oblivion actually has a bigger world than Morrowind too, but movement is a bit faster...but much better when modding out fast travel, then it feels even bigger than normal.

Morrowind does actually make you think when getting quests. Not "lol big huge quest mark! GO HERE! DUDE! QUEST HERE! HERE I AM! I AM FLASHING NOW!"...

I think Skyrim is the worst in that regard though. Skyrim doesn't even give a description of where to go or where a quest can be found unlike Morrowind and Oblivion. Its just a "this is the exact location, follow quest marker"...and turning off quest markers just makes it impossible without a proper description. Which wasn't true in Morrowind and Oblivion.

Personally, while I enjoy Skyrim a lot (it is my 2nd favorite Bethesda game), feels WAY more consely than Oblivion...which felt more consely than Morrowind.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Oblivion. Oblivion. Oblivion.

im on my third attempt at Skyrim. we'll see how long i last. perhaps some mods might help.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    It's a close toss up between Skyrim and Fallout 3 for me, and Fallout 3 only because I'm not allowed to pick New Vegas, which would most definitely be my number one if the entire project had been created and finished by Bethesda.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I LOVE the ES games..

but man,I just cant get enough of Fallout 3.The setting,the feel...

I'd have to say its my king of Bethesda games.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    My vote is Morrowind.  Great fun just out adventuring.  I love to wander around and see what sort of trouble I can get myself into.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

added a POLL. I know I might be missing a couple games, but I listed all the major ones I know of.

New Vegas, not listed...I know it was more well recieved than Fallout 3 (I enjoyed it more), but it wasn't made by Bethesda themselves.

• ElgarLElgarL Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Daggerfall was the best!

Creator of ELTank and Nostalgia

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

No more dancing topless girls after Daggerfall. That was surely the beginning of the decline.

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Morrowind.  I couldn't stand Oblivion until the modders had took a turn, and then it was pretty good.  Skyrim is great, but I still go back to play some Morrowind.  We will see in a few years if I still do that with Skyrim.  
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I'm very much into rich graphics and open worlds so Skyrim is my favorite followed by New Vegas.
    The reason I like Morrowind the best, its so alien, it really is a different world.

Oblivion just feels so much like generic fantasy world, which kinda makes it less immersive
  • DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Morrowind, for sure. I still rember the day I got the game. Walked up toa guar and I was like WOW.

I then attacked it, and got my arse handed to me. Good times!

• Rew4nRew4n Member UncommonPosts: 7

Morrowind + Overhaul :P

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    Morrowind hands down, despite it's shortcomings (a product of it's time no doubt) it still outshines Skyrims plasticy nature and dumbed down RPG aspects. Not saying Skyrim is bad, but it's several steps in the wrong direction.
  • Deathgod881Deathgod881 Member UncommonPosts: 104

Skyrim

Oblivion

Fallout Games

"Let destruction rain!" from Asbel Tales of Graces f

Dishonoured is by arkane. It's published by bethseda studios but not developed by them. Much like how Id work.
  • PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

I voted Skyrim, but I loved oblivion as well.

Both are great games.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

My winner:  Morrowind.  

As others have said, Oblivion felt like I was playing on the playstation or something.  And i didn't care for the leveled mobs.  I missed the feeling of back in Morrowind where you got up to the point where you could enter the areas you had been aware of but not able to survive in.

I played Daggerfall and Skyrim, both are great as well. 

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

I've never really played any of those games until recently. I've started playing Morrowind really casually when I don't feel like logging into GW2. Really like the game so far. I've got Oblivion and Skyrim too but I won't start them until I've finish Morrowind and I know that will take a lot of time haha.

I was wondering, anyone have some good mods suggestion for Morrowind and Oblivion? I've look into it a little bit already but there is so many differents mods its insane lol. Digging through all this will take a while to find the best ones. So if anyone has some suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot guys!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Redguard - it was like a cross between Ultima Ascension and Tomb Raider

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by SirFubar

I've never really played any of those games until recently. I've started playing Morrowind really casually when I don't feel like logging into GW2. Really like the game so far. I've got Oblivion and Skyrim too but I won't start them until I've finish Morrowind and I know that will take a lot of time haha.

I was wondering, anyone have some good mods suggestion for Morrowind and Oblivion? I've look into it a little bit already but there is so many differents mods its insane lol. Digging through all this will take a while to find the best ones. So if anyone has some suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot guys!

Start with the Morrowind Graphics Extender (MGE).  It is available in some different places, I just saw it on Sourceforge yesterday.  That is I think the most required mod for Morrowind and many other mods are compatible.  Just google morrowind modding and you should see some tutorials on how to go about it.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

Morrowind followed by Skyrim.

I haven't ever played Daggerfall or Arena although if I ever get around to installing virtualbox, I'll play them.