Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift/Storm Legion or GW2?

DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126

Hey guys,

Thinking of getting one of the above games. I played Rift before swapping to SWTOR when it was released. Was thinking of either of the two. I enjoyed rift and random events etc. Anyone out there who's played both and could give me some feedback?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• IskenderIskender Member Posts: 10
    Depends on what your looking for. I like the PvP in Guild Wars 2 more than Rift's BUT the PvE in RIft is so far and away better than Guild Wars 2 it's not even funny. Far more activities to do in Rift at max level and the zone events in Rift are light years more dynamic than anything that occurs in Guild Wars 2. I also found Rift to be far more of a social game that has activities designed for guild play (currently 5 man dungeons and tPvP are the only activites that benefit guild play. You could add in WvW though other servers cannot tell the difference between your name or guild affiliation).  I will say that I do favor roles in MMO's though I didn't come to this realization until after playing Guild Wars 2 so my opinions regarding the merits of the quality of PvE in both games must be taken with a grain of salt (I enjoy healing)
  • MoutonDocileMoutonDocile Member Posts: 17

Both are good MMOs

Rift is more of the same experience you've been getting in games like SWTOR, WOW and so on. It's not original at all but it's a damn strong offering. The fact that you have your own dimension to build is also very cool. As far as classic PvE goes, it's one of the best out there. Don't know about PvP.

GW2 is another strong choice. The combat is fun, WvW can be really cool with friends, sPvP is also really solid. It's all about combat though ....with exploration being a distant second (for the completionists out there). Having no sub fees is a big plus and while you can get a tiny boost from the cash shop, nothing is exclusive to it (apart from the cosmetic stuff). 

You can try Rift for free and you should.

GW2 is B2P, if you can find a good price go for it.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

GW2 has much better PvP.

Rift has more activities in PvE, Instant Adventure being the best. Though, GW2 has more quality activities and the content can vary alot.

Classes and Races, i'd say GW2 does better and the lore in GW2 is epic, especially if you played GW1 or read the books.

GW2 has Personal Story which let you follow a story and make some choices.

GW2 has better combat, it's very action based and not very static.

The only thing i like about Rift is Instant Adventure and some world events..

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

I found Rift's leveling process mind-numbingly boring. Apparently, it has a pretty good end-game and some other nice features. So, I'd go with GW2, but it's mostly up to personal preference. If you don't mind quest grind, Rift is probably a good choice.

I haven't tried Rift post-SL, but nothing's changed during early levels if I remeber correctly.

• 03cobradude03cobradude Member UncommonPosts: 47
    GW2 is a fun game that take a different approach to pvp, being that you are free to lvl without the worry of being ganked. I however like the ganking option and Rift offers that. Plus rift dungeons and raids are 1000 times better then GW2's. Although the new fractual dungeons in GW2 makes the dungeon feel like actual dungeons. There are real no Obkectives in Rift's pvp other then the pvp rifts, so no castle to take and that sort which GW2 offers. I just don't like the instance pvp zones in GW2, and if they took that out and put them across the lvling areas then it would make that game awesome. As it stands now pvp in gw2 can be fun but always get's boring after doing that for a while. So you have to ask yourself do you want amazing dungeons and raids or do you want big instanced pvp zones with keeps to take and a better single player experince?
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Deadlobster

Hey guys,

Thinking of getting one of the above games. I played Rift before swapping to SWTOR when it was released. Was thinking of either of the two. I enjoyed rift and random events etc. Anyone out there who's played both and could give me some feedback?

Thanks in advance.

My advice is to get both. GW2 is a buy to play so there is no sub fee which makes it a great addition to Rift. Rift is one of the few MMO's out worth a monthly fee ( I feel GW2 makes that list as well even though they do not have one.). 

GW2 and Rift offer a lot of the same thing in different ways. I prefer GW2 more, but I still like a lot of what rift has to offer. 

• SlorgSlorg Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Like everyone else here said, it's personal preference. For me personally rift is leaps and bounds ahead of guild wars in every regard other than pvp. I liked the WvW a lot but the pve in guild wars was shallow and didn't offer much. Rift's pve is the best on the market and basically is an improved version of wow being the fact that it offers way more to do at max level.
  • DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126

Thanks very much for all the help.

Still debating but I like the get both options :)

Not sure if I get a free sub for SL as I have an account. If I do I'll give it a go and see how she floats.

Grrrr isn't it great to have some options for once hhehheeheheh

Thanks again.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

GW2 I genuinely had fun getting to 80 the first time around.  Playing at 80 was fun for a small while, but got dull.  Not much depth there.

Leveling up my second toon was considerably less enjoyable.  Without the initial population rush of launch, the whole dynamic event system gets b0rked.

Rift was so reminiscent of WoW I couldn't bring myself to level past 20 after multiple attempts.

TBH I think this one is gonna boil down to personal preference. 

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Rift combat is boring.  Every class i've played you can macro 90% of your abilities to a single spammable button.  The rest are just cooldowns that add a tiny bit of flavor.

GW2 isn't much better but at least the combat is more active as you can move while doing most everything...

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

in the end it comes down to content, new content and end game and rift outshines by far.  Yes the combat is a bit boring but with the new classes it does get a bit more interesting addtionally open world pvp is available.  The new expansion has added in some very neat/interesting quests, new ways to quest and a lot of fun overall.   

from my own personal experience, once i hit 80 in GW2 all i did was get 100% world completion, get my crafting maxed out and finally got my Legendaries but in the end I was out of content, things to do and just stood around flashing my Legendary weapon.   After that, play time dropped dramatically.  

Have you considered Aion?  Its F2P no restrictions and the player base is very healthy, additionally they're are adding in 4.0 very soon which introduces 3 new classes.  

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Rift is a cold, unimaginative, frigid, soulless game and only true wow clone that was made purely for profit imo. No one with heart and soul could create something plastic as Rift. It is the only game I have never managed to find one good thing about it. I have said many times what I think about this game here, but there are no words I can use to describe how blend and cold is everything in this game ( lore, quests, character creator,...)
  • DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126

I'm all for for peoples own opinions and such but that's a little far. Played wow and a shit load of others. Rift held me, was good fun and granted, it was similar to wow but wow is similar to others and so forth. All mmo's borrow. I wish SWTOR had borrowed the rift spawns and such. Still undecided. Hate freakin christmas, too much time to check out mmo's :)

Also, Ive never played aion, might have a look.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

i agree with a lot of posters here . Rift has more pve but man its beyond painful to level from 50-60 now as its so mind numbingly boring. Rift has terrible and i mean terrible pvp with serious balance issues and each month you never know which class is going to be butchered to death by nurfs like warriors have since storm legion launched. Rogues just got nurfed after being op in pvp.

Guild wars 2 has more pvp content but its so casual and non competitive it gets boring as well pretty fast . They seem to take a better approach to nerfing than rift on classes which is a plus . PVE end game is non existant in guild worlds 2 though as you will grind the same fractals for gear or just do world vs world and a couple of events in the two end game zones etc.

I honestly cant really stand either game at this point with playing them both , they both will start off awesome as hell and shiney at first but the longer you play the more you will see the flaws but it will take awhile for both if you never played either.

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by cronius77

i agree with a lot of posters here . Rift has more pve but man its beyond painful to level from 50-60 now as its so mind numbingly boring. Rift has terrible and i mean terrible pvp with serious balance issues and each month you never know which class is going to be butchered to death by nurfs like warriors have since storm legion launched. Rogues just got nurfed after being op in pvp.

Guild wars 2 has more pvp content but its so casual and non competitive it gets boring as well pretty fast . They seem to take a better approach to nerfing than rift on classes which is a plus . PVE end game is non existant in guild worlds 2 though as you will grind the same fractals for gear or just do world vs world and a couple of events in the two end game zones etc.

I honestly cant really stand either game at this point with playing them both , they both will start off awesome as hell and shiney at first but the longer you play the more you will see the flaws but it will take awhile for both if you never played either.

I think u hit it on the spot.  Well said.  Honestly skip both games and just try out Aion since it somehting you're never tried.  Going back to something that has been played has always been a tough thing to do.  For me once I leave a game I can't really return to it.  I really crave new worlds and adventures, its not the mechanics of an old game that bothers me, its going through the same content and see the same environments that bugs me so much.   

Have you heard of Age of Wushu?  I've been reading and it sounds like a lot of fun.  Read some of the posts here about players committing crimes in it and how they punish players and it sounds like a lot of fun and they seem to have figure out how to balance the who world pvp ganking problem.  I was going to give it a try yesterday but the files got corrupted while downloading.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    EQ2 is better than both, but Storm Legion and GW2 are the top 2 MMORPG releases of the last 5 years.
  • Rift has better combat, but the environments, at least from what I saw before quitting the game, were more bleak and uninteresting than GW2s. I played Rift for a few days before giving up on it, while GW2 only lasted a few hours. If you're not finding SWTOR enjoyable anymore I have a hard time seeing you enjoying either game. Might be better to just quit MMOs for a time. Only reason I lasted a few months in SWTOR was because they actually made the leveling process interesting and didn't have atrocious combat like most MMOs.
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    For me it would be definitely Rift with real dynamic events (rifts), meaningful endgame with some great raids, mounts, etc etc. Haven't played Storm Legion but as far as I know there's even more great stuff in game now. For me GW2 was MMO Lite, lacking much and even more.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    If you're into gear grinds then go with RIFT, if you've had it with chasing the carrot and prefer a more casual game then go for GW2.

imageimage
  • PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.

I highly suggest Rift! GW2 becomes boring the first two weeks...

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Rift because it came atleast an year ago and also had a huge expansion released  and is ahead of G2 in terms of content. So if you really want to keep yourself engaged with PVE i would say go with Rift. If you like housing then Rift is still your game of choice. Rift is a complete MMO experince right now.
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.

I highly suggest Rift! GW2 becomes boring the first two weeks...

"imo" rift became boring to me far quicker then 2 weeks and i really tried to like it (i did blow a decent amount of money on it after all), only managed to get to like 30ish before I gave up, I would have to agree with the "no soul" comment earlier altough I don't think the game is "bad" in every possible way.

As others have said like carrot on stick? rift, if not gw2.

Altough personally if i had a craving for grinding gear i'd probably get MoP instead.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    between the two, GW2.