Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pay to dominate?

AtrocitusAtrocitus Member UncommonPosts: 85

I just found out about this game today, From the limited amount of info I've seen, this game looks outstanding.

This dev has a true vision, and its not some spin off/rip off like 'other' Indy games. (See SWG 2.0 will not mention the name)

Also, I've seen where you can donate to the cause and receive items in game. Quick question is, will those items/ships/whatever give a player the upper hand?

Not sure if it has a cash shop, but the point remains. Will you have the ability to dominate another player if you have the cash?

Regardless, I will be playing this game. It looks way to fun not to.......

Comments

• JojinJojin Member UncommonPosts: 120

Everything that you may get from pledging to the game can be obtained in the game.

The in game store planned at release will sell in game currency.  However, the amount of currency a player can purchase each month is limited.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Also this game will be a game of player skill and not about who has the bigger gun. In this game it will be more than possible for someone who is highly skilled to totally own players with much better ships/equipment. It doesn't matter if you have the Death Ray of Doom attached to your ship in a turning dogfight if you never get a clean shot at your opponent. Skill will win over gear in this game every time.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• i_dragonx_ii_dragonx_i Member Posts: 20

There will be an advantage to getting a pledge ship, of course. And the bigger the better! But this is only a slight advantage for the first few days or weeks of the game going live. As soon as it matures a little, the advantage will be irrelevant. 

I do wish I'd got in on time to get the lifetime insurance on my pledge ship though. Damn.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Also this game will be a game of player skill and not about who has the bigger gun.

How many (literally) hundreds of times have we heard that one as a marketing bullet point?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by i_dragonx_i

There will be an advantage to getting a pledge ship, of course. And the bigger the better! But this is only a slight advantage for the first few days or weeks of the game going live. As soon as it matures a little, the advantage will be irrelevant.

what do you base this huge assumption on?  do you really think they'd sell ships for hundreds of dollars if the advantage wasn't long term and sizable?  really?

Originally posted by Icewhite

Also this game will be a game of player skill and not about who has the bigger gun.

How many (literally) hundreds of times have we heard that one as a marketing bullet point?

This isn't a "Marketing Bullet Point". In Fact it isn't even mentioned by the developers at all because it doesn't need to be. The very nature of the game makes it a factual statement. There will be no Tab Targeting like in a conventional MMO or RPG game. You have to manually target your guns to score a hit. Like I said before you could have the Death Ray of Doom and Destruction mounted on your ship and it won't do you a bit of good if you never get a clean shot at your opponent. The computer won't be aiming it for you using a "To Hit" dice roll to decide the outcome.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by i_dragonx_i

what do you base this huge assumption on?  do you really think they'd sell ships for hundreds of dollars if the advantage wasn't long term and sizable?  really?

I think what he means is that the higher costing ships will take a while for people to reach with in game advancement.

So at start, the only Hornets around will be pledge players, but 12 months later, hornets are quite common, so that advantage is watered down.

You still have an ever recreating Hornet and never have to worry about getting stuck without the money to buy a new ship, though, thanks to the lifetime insurance pledge ships have, so that advantage never goes away.

But while John Dude might have trouble keeping his own non-pledge Hornet, in general the % of higher grade ships will likely rise over time.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681
    fuck the hornet, the 550$+ ship is a battleship/carrier type hehe
  • GrimborGrimbor Member Posts: 23

This isn't a "Marketing Bullet Point". In Fact it isn't even mentioned by the developers at all because it doesn't need to be. The very nature of the game makes it a factual statement. There will be no Tab Targeting like in a conventional MMO or RPG game. You have to manually target your guns to score a hit. Like I said before you could have the Death Ray of Doom and Destruction mounted on your ship and it won't do you a bit of good if you never get a clean shot at your opponent. The computer won't be aiming it for you using a "To Hit" dice roll to decide the outcome.

Bren

[mod edit] a skilled player with your Ray of Doom and Destruction attached to their ship will have an unfair advantage.  Sounds like a good game to skip.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

So of course a better ship or gun will help....but if Chris Roberts keeps to his game principles it will have alot ot do with the pilots skill in flying and aiming.

Personally I cant wait for this one!   But it will be years =(   I even backed it, since there was a VIEWABLE demo and proof of concept.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• AceshighhhhAceshighhhh Member Posts: 185
    Never been a fan of this system. I've always felt that letting players buy in-game currency with real money really puts a damper on a game experience, regardless of their ability to obtain it in-game.

What would be the satisfaction in spending hundreds of hours crafting, doing a mission, mining, pirating, etc when someone can just get the same result from buying in-game currency?

• JojinJojin Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by Aceshighhhh
    Never been a fan of this system. I've always felt that letting players buy in-game currency with real money really puts a damper on a game experience, regardless of their ability to obtain it in-game.

What would be the satisfaction in spending hundreds of hours crafting, doing a mission, mining, pirating, etc when someone can just get the same result from buying in-game currency?

There is a cap on how much currency can be purchased for a given time frame.  So while a player can make it eaiser on themselves with real money, they still can't outgain someone who plays an abundance.

As to the satisfaction, that is something you need to look inward to answer.  If you are doing all that activity, not because you enjoy playing them game, but because you want to loom the spoils over someone else, then it's rather petty.  

Originally posted by Grimbor

Bren

[mod edit] a skilled player with your Ray of Doom and Destruction attached to their ship will have an unfair advantage.  Sounds like a good game to skip.

Thank you for agreeing with me that it will take player skill to win no matter what you have mounted on your ship. [mod edit]

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• GrimborGrimbor Member Posts: 23

Bren

Thank you for agreeing with me that it will take player skill to win no matter what you have mounted on your ship. [mod edit]

Bren

The point is that if you take two players of equal skill, the one who bought his ship for cash will win.  Do you not understand that fact?  I am in no way agreeing with you.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    The lifetime insurance people got for kickstarting the game seems like pay to win. Anyone know if you can still throw money at them to win? Simply put, throw a guy with the lifetime insurance against a guy without it. Who is the one who can keep going at it ad nauseum even if he gets killed?
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by Betakodo
    The lifetime insurance people got for kickstarting the game seems like pay to win. Anyone know if you can still throw money at them to win? Simply put, throw a guy with the lifetime insurance against a guy without it. Who is the one who can keep going at it ad nauseum even if he gets killed?

^this

i think its pretty evident that backers will have SOME advantage. Whether this can be translated into 'pay to dominate' is not really clear at this stage in development.

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

The point is that if you take two players of equal skill, the one who bought his ship for cash will win.  Do you not understand that fact?  I am in no way agreeing with you.

Lol no we are not computers man. How do you even determine whose equally skilled? You could have a bad day or be tired and you're already less skilled than the day before. Human beings are prone to making mistakes and the one who makes more mistakes dies.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones
    Originally posted by Betakodo

^this

i think its pretty evident that backers will have SOME advantage. Whether this can be translated into 'pay to dominate' is not really clear at this stage in development.

not really, anyone can buy insurance for in game currency.  it just means the kick start people wont have to farm as much too keep their premiums paid.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Grimb

At the very start that will be the case but i believe people will also be able to get those ships in game will probably have a different paint job of course  ... of course people who pay a lot of money should have something for it.

• nexitemnexitem Member UncommonPosts: 4

I find it very uncool by some of the people in this thread that you do not want donators, therefor the people that made this game possible to have something as a thank you.

I payd 150€ last October backed this game not because I wanted to win easy but I wanted to help Roberts make this game come true. As a thank you they give me a lifetime insurance on my Freelancer and I think i deserve it.

Without me and many other people there would be no Star Citizen.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

So non backers who didn't want to help towards getting this game made are already moaning about backers putting their hands in their pockets to make this game a reality.

Why shouldn't they be rewarded lol, if that means an advantage at the start of the game then so be it.

• nexitemnexitem Member UncommonPosts: 4

Its not even that much of an advantage, as everyone gets a very basic insurance, however Afaik as a backer I will get my full ship back.

• Lifetime Insurance *
      • Replaces your ship hull in the event of destruction or theft.
      • Hull is replaced with an identical model in equivalent condition.
      • Effective indefinitely with no additional in-game fee.
    • Standard Hull Insurance *
      • Replaces your ship hull in the event of destruction or theft.
      • Hull is replaced with an identical model in equivalent condition.
      • Effective for a set period of time: currently one, three or six months.
      • Must be renewed with in-game credits once expired.
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Bren

Bren

In basically all games with microtransactions even those universally acclaimed as p2w - player skill is needed.  Not much games offer literally "I win if you press me" button in store.   Star Citizen is not diffrent than f2p Korean and Chinese mmorpg's in this matter.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Sulaa
    Originally posted by Brenelael Originally posted by Grimbor Originally posted by Brenelael Originally posted by Icewhite Originally posted by Brenelael Also this game will be a game of player skill and not about who has the bigger gun.
    This isn't a "Marketing Bullet Point". In Fact it isn't even mentioned by the developers at all because it doesn't need to be. The very nature of the game makes it a factual statement. There will be no Tab Targeting like in a conventional MMO or RPG game. You have to manually target your guns to score a hit. Like I said before you could have the Death Ray of Doom and Destruction mounted on your ship and it won't do you a bit of good if you never get a clean shot at your opponent. The computer won't be aiming it for you using a "To Hit" dice roll to decide the outcome.   Bren
    Thank you for agreeing with me that it will take player skill to win no matter what you have mounted on your ship. [mod edit]   Bren
    In basically all games with microtransactions even those universally acclaimed as p2w - player skill is needed.  Not much games offer literally "I win if you press me" button in store.   Star Citizen is not diffrent than f2p Korean and Chinese mmorpg's in this matter.

Ah cool you played the game allready? How is it?

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Originally posted by nexitem
    I find it very uncool by some of the people in this thread that you do not want donators, therefor the people that made this game possible to have something as a thank you. I payd 150€ last October backed this game not because I wanted to win easy but I wanted to help Roberts make this game come true. As a thank you they give me a lifetime insurance on my Freelancer and I think i deserve it.Without me and many other people there would be no Star Citizen.

No one is saying you don't deserve something for your money.

Most people are saying that you don't deserve an inherent advantage within the game for your money. Because you don't.

By merit of the fact that you've come here and said "I like my lifetime insurance", you are condoning the act of allowing players to pay to dominate, and subsequently condoning pay to win.

You DID fork out 150 Euros (what's that? Like.. $6?), so you're vision is clouded. I wouldn't expect you to understand.