Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Alienware System on the way: Requesting Hardware Feedback

mlgamermlgamer Member Posts: 2

Greetings everone and happy holidays!

I just bougt my very first gaming computer and wanted feedback on the hardware selected.  The system is an Alienware R-4 with the ALX chassis and the following specifications:

Intel Core i7-3960X (Six Core Extreme, 15MB Cache) Overclocked up to 4.0Ghz

32GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

Alienware MM Keyboard, US

Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7870

Serial ATA III RAID 0 with Dual 2TB Hard Drives

Alienware Aurora X79 with ALX Chassis

19-in-1 Media Card ReaderWindows 7 Professional 64 bit SP1, English, w/Media

Internal USB Bluetooth + WLAN

AlienFX Color, Plasma Purple

Dual Drives: BD Burn, DVD+RW

Power DVD 9.6, 3D

Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!!

Comments

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Is this just to show off? What do you want to know?
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

My feedback.

Next time ask peoples opinions before you buy. And save around $1000 from not buying alienware.

Merry xmas

• CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194

Well done on wasting money on 'alienware'

Can get a machine just as good for half the price.

Stop trying to show off.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    judging by the brand that must have costed you one leg and half face. With those specifications i would expect it to least maybe 6 years from now without needing to upgrade a single piece (maybe more), or my money back.

• shellshockroshellshockro Member UncommonPosts: 20
    How do you spell Alienware? That would be : D E L L
  • mlgamermlgamer Member Posts: 2

All,

Not trying to show off.   I really do not know much about gaming technology.  In other news...thanks for feedback on price.  Next time around, perhaps I will put in a bit more on the research side.

Merry Christmas,

MLGAMER

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Do yourself  a solid.

Cancel that order immediatly. What you are paying for that PC you could buy a decent used car.

Ask around for some help on the hardware forums. If you want to build people can help. If you want to buy a prebuilt go to AVADirect.com and build one there.

I looked on the alienware site at the PC you ordered and the price is about $2500 more than you need to spend on a gaming system.

You are paying $4k on a computer that doesnt have an SSD even,

Never ceases to amaze me at the people who post " look what I bought, how is it?"

Usually at that time its too late. CANCEL asap if you still can. Save about half your money and still get a top of the line build.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Core i5 3570k will outperform that proc, at less than 1/3 the price. Also, you have more ram than you will ever use, ever. Also, no ssd? On a gaming rig? No bueno.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• supermike27supermike27 Member Posts: 24
    #1 its an Alienware ive had mine sent back to them atleast 5 times for overheating issues. #2 you got 32 gig ram i hope u do home movies and photos cause games dont use over 8 gig. #3 should of built your own would of saved a ton of money. #4 Alienware isnt even the top rated machine anymore.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Dude, you're getting a Dell

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by mlgamer

All,

Not trying to show off.   I really do not know much about gaming technology.  In other news...thanks for feedback on price.  Next time around, perhaps I will put in a bit more on the research side.

Merry Christmas,

MLGAMER

My system is almost identical and I paid just over half of what that costs.

And mine has SSD also :)

• NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Congratz you just spent 4000 dollars on about 2000 dollars in hardware... and you didn't even get to choose quality vendors. Talk about too much money and hardly a care in the world about what your buying.
  • CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532
    I have to agree with the others, you paid $2K for the AlienWare(Dell) name. Should work well, just way way too costly.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

I just bougt my very first gaming computer and wanted feedback on the hardware selected.  The system is an Alienware R-4 with the ALX chassis and the following specifications:

Power DVD 9.6, 3D

Have you considered asking for feedback before placing the order rather than after?

The processor is very high end--and ridiculously so.  For gaming purposes, the difference between a Core i7-3960K and a Core i5-3570K is about $800.  Or probably over $1000 after the Dell markup.  What, you expect a performance advantage?  Maybe in some corner cases, but for games, probably nothing you'd ever notice.

Two mid-range video cards in CrossFire is a bad idea.  SLI wouldn't have been any better.  The only reason to go with CrossFire or SLI is if a single high-end card isn't good enough.  And in that case, the solution is two high end cards, not two mid-range cards.

Hard drives in RAID 0 is a bad idea.  I could understand RAID 10 or RAID 6 for reliability, but not RAID 0.  If you want somehting faster than a single hard drive, then that's what SSDs are for.  Incidentally, any computer without a good SSD is slow.  And yours doesn't have an SSD.

Two optical drives?  I could see that making sense for some obscure niche uses in which you want to burn multiple disks simultaneously.  But for general consumer use?  Nope.

What motherboard is it?  What power supply is it?  Oh, right, Dell doesn't want to tell you.  Think that's because they're super awesome parts and they want to surprise you?  Or is it because they don't want you to know?  Here's a hint:  it's not the former.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

Ahh, at least you know next time to have one built.  The computer will probably look pretty cool though.

You can probably look on craigslist to find someone who will build a computer for you, most will even put together a list of parts for what you want, and give you their price with their building and research fee included.  Of course you could save even more if you learn how to build one yourself, which really is not too difficult.  I always thought, I could never build a computer, had someone show me how, and almost any one with a 1st grader or greater intelligence could build one.

Also something that helps is having a decent computer parts store near where you live.  That way you can get the parts yourself without having to order, which is definitely much better when you first become acquanted to the variety of parts that are not compatible.

Best way to learn on your own is take apart a computer you do not care if you break (old piece of junk) and put it back together.  If it works, you pass, if not try again.

Don't be bothered by everyone hating on you... spend your money how you want... all I see here is walmart clothes shoppers vs. us RL, gucci, prada  shoppers.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

OP.. First off don't let some of these people spoil your fun with their ignorant answers. Could you have got more for your money, yes the fact is it's your money not theirs.

You said it yourself, it's your first gaming pc and you live and learn mate, i went through 2 dell xps and one alienware aurora r2 before i bought my own set up.

My advice to you mate is send it back and buy from a independent company. Don't be bothered by some of the comments on here not everyone can build their own set up but you can get a company to do it for you.

Try http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

And rather than get advice off these  ignorants  go here mate http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/

Soon as you mention Alienware on these forums you get the reaction you have got here, don't bother mate or take any notice.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Sounds like a good computer. As peeps said of course you could have saved some money self building or from other sites but if alienware is what you wanted good for you! I think they have some pretty awesome towers as well. You should also have listed your PSU unless you did and im blind. Im not sure how great dual 7870s are. For that cost i think you may have been able to get something stronger or more cost effective but since you already purchased it our comments are almost futile.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Power DVD 9.6, 3D

Have you considered asking for feedback before placing the order rather than after?

The processor is very high end--and ridiculously so.  For gaming purposes, the difference between a Core i7-3960K and a Core i5-3570K is about $800.  Or probably over $1000 after the Dell markup.  What, you expect a performance advantage?  Maybe in some corner cases, but for games, probably nothing you'd ever notice.

Two mid-range video cards in CrossFire is a bad idea.  SLI wouldn't have been any better.  The only reason to go with CrossFire or SLI is if a single high-end card isn't good enough.  And in that case, the solution is two high end cards, not two mid-range cards.

Hard drives in RAID 0 is a bad idea.  I could understand RAID 10 or RAID 6 for reliability, but not RAID 0.  If you want somehting faster than a single hard drive, then that's what SSDs are for.  Incidentally, any computer without a good SSD is slow.  And yours doesn't have an SSD.

Two optical drives?  I could see that making sense for some obscure niche uses in which you want to burn multiple disks simultaneously.  But for general consumer use?  Nope.

What motherboard is it?  What power supply is it?  Oh, right, Dell doesn't want to tell you.  Think that's because they're super awesome parts and they want to surprise you?  Or is it because they don't want you to know?  Here's a hint:  it's not the former.

Don't patronize him/her, if your going give advice then give it without trying to belittle someone, not every one understands this jumbo mubo. Some people just want a gaming rig and buy it knowing if it goes wrong they can get a tec round the next day.

Yeah an SSD but their are many gamer who still don't have one or even understand what it is.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

OP.. First off don't let some of these people spoil your fun with their ignorant answers. Could you have got more for your money, yes the fact is it's your money not theirs.

You said it yourself, it's your first gaming pc and you live and learn mate, i went through 2 dell xps and one alienware aurora r2 before i bought my own set up.

My advice to you mate is send it back and buy from a independent company. Don't be bothered by some of the comments on here not everyone can build their own set up but you can get a company to do it for you.

And rather than get advice off these  ignorants  go here mate http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/

Soon as you mention Alienware on these forums you get the reaction you have got here, don't bother mate or take any notice.

I use overclockers but he is American so linking him to OCUK would not be helpful there is American versions of OCUK that he can go to like www.newegg.com etc.

Also letting him know that over 50% of his money went towards a brand is helpful :)

Originally posted by Woopin
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

I use overclockers but he is American so linking him to OCUK would not be helpful there is American versions of OCUK that he can go to like www.newegg.com etc.

Also letting him know that over 50% of his money went towards a brand is helpful :)

Letting him/her know is helpfull but it's the way it's put over, if you can't understand that then i don't know.

• NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227

I'll admit I came off as cold toward the OP and so did other posters, but.. Alienware/Dell is darn near a criminal and takes advantage of unsuspecting people. Part of my/our intent is to ensure he nor anyone else reading this make the same mistake again.

Also, part of being a "gamer" or really anyone who takes a hobby seriously is to take pride in what you are doing. As pointed out the choices made by Aleinware/Dell are terrible, because Alienware/Dell take no pride in what they sell. Some high price manufacturers for other interests do.. granted, but not Alienware/Dell. He as the person with the apparent moneyand interest in gaming and PC hardware should take some pride in understanding what he is buying and make his own choices, which he didn't.

A harsh lesson now while its still possible to undo his mistake is preferrable to this uninformed and dependant behavior.. especially in this day and age.

@ the OP, if you are going to continue down this path.. at least choose a company that is doing thier best to sell prebuilt highend PCs that you can take pride in.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I have Alienware Area 51 and actually I was lucky as I got it as replacement for my failed XPS 730 after 3 years of using it. I had 4 year warranty.

I know that it's overpriced but... I never had any problems with performace of games I played. So many people claim that they have performance issues with SWTOR, I have zero.

Though my spec is not as high end as the OP rig. Processor i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz.

And Alienware does not make Area 51 anymore. So far I had zero problems with this rig.... using it almost 2 years now.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Why would you waste that amount of money for an overpriced "name" when you can go to newegg or tiger direct and make the same setup for 1/4 the price?

My pc is speedy as hell and can handle almost anything and i barely paid 600$ for it lol. I love holiday sales ;)  And i see the same setups going for 1k-2k.

Mine is custome built by myself, so maybe people buy these because they cant make a system? But in that case, read the manuals and watch youtube ;)

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by Onomas

Why would you waste that amount of money for an overpriced "name" when you can go to newegg or tiger direct and make the same setup for 1/4 the price?

My pc is speedy as hell and can handle almost anything and i barely paid 600$ for it lol. I love holiday sales ;)  And i see the same setups going for 1k-2k.

Mine is custome built by myself, so maybe people buy these because they cant make a system? But in that case, read the manuals and watch youtube ;)

I'd say the same thing, why would you waste the money paying newegg or tiger direct when you can get all those parts for $10-$100 off their prices per part.

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

Well my feedback is that you were completely successful at pushing buttons on an internet site to send a company money.

Other than that... well my computer is not only more powerful than yours in terms of graphics cards and storage, but also has capabilities that yours just doesn't and I'm unsure ever could without replacing significant parts and at a much additional cost.  Oh yeah, and my computer most likely cost less while being better too.

I don't like giving people bad news on Christmas, so I'll just say this.  I'm fairly confident your computer will be capable of ordering a new one using a web browser, and you can rest assured that your computer probably has a warranty of some kind.