Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An open PvP Sandbox?

raulaunraulaun Member Posts: 35

Topia Online is a very interesting game. It seems to fit everything I like to see in a game, and it's not a MUD, though it's still a browser game.

Open world PvP? I would enjoy seeing how they implement this, considering they claim there are no skill caps. Become the best warrior, completely curb stomp others just because you spent ten months straight grinding the game to power level 9001.

It's all a fun-sounding system, but I look forward to how the game balances PvP with unlimited skill caps in a sandbox world with open PvP.

Comments

• aattssaattss Member Posts: 40
    A key focus of Topia Online is eliminating grinding. You don't "level up", but instead buy skills using a currency called "influence". People gain influence at a constant rate, so the only way to get more influence is by trading or being a valuable part of society. People spend influence on skills in a skill grid. Skills are designed to open new possibilities, as opposed to simple numeric advantages, which means that having more skills allows you to do more stuff but doesn't necessarily make you invincible. Better equipment and weapons will let you do more things, but you don't necessarily need to grind to reap their benefits. Also, there will be diminishing returns on equipment, which means that the person with the steel sword can still beat the guy with the steel sword of awesomeness. Also, every combat situation poses a risk to both parties, so it may not be worth it to attempt to slaughter random noobs with the equipment that took you three days to obtain.
  • kimahriskimahris Member Posts: 55
    Tibia did great with open world pvp and heavy loss. They just put some number of frags per day/week/month and if you would abuse too much you'd get ban for a month. People would form guild and community was being tight and all close/friendly to allies because friendship actually means something. It wasnt the number of people in your guild that count..but the number of guy that would defend you if someone pick you for breakfeast.
  • MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by raulaun

Topia Online is a very interesting game. It seems to fit everything I like to see in a game, and it's not a MUD, though it's still a browser game.

Open world PvP? I would enjoy seeing how they implement this, considering they claim there are no skill caps. Become the best warrior, completely curb stomp others just because you spent ten months straight grinding the game to power level 9001.

It's all a fun-sounding system, but I look forward to how the game balances PvP with unlimited skill caps in a sandbox world with open PvP.

Try Haven and Hearth, one big open survival sandbox, kill or be killed but to kill someone you gotta have a "murder" skill learnt. I'm hooked, definitely hooked.