Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking new blood

MudshovelMudshovel Member Posts: 79

I've been reading many post / sites about EQ2 and wanted to know if this game was for me.
I'm currently playing EVE and enjoying it a lot, but I need another game to get my feets on the "ground" ::::09::
I've tried the Trial of the isle, seemed ok.

- But how is the game on higher end levels?
- How is the grind? How much time a casual gamer will hit level cap?
- Mature community? This is so important nowadays..

I played DaoC when it was in beta, enjoyed it, but the game is too old now and way too hard to catch up. Played WoW when it camed out and got bored after 6 months then tried Lineage II which was ok and more my type but the grind is just soo horrible.

I'm looking for something with the WoW quality, but more immersive, hard core and more content.
Do you think that's for me?

Currently : chillin'

Comments

• DarktongueDarktongue Member Posts: 276

All SOE games are about grind with maybe PS being the exception (IMHO)

EQ2 is a bore grind , far worse than likes of eve and wow.

imo.

• TammyTammy Member Posts: 18

Game on higher end levels is very good. The first expansion is bascially geared for lvls 50 to 60

Grind is not bad at all. If you follow the quests given to you, you'll level 5 times faster than a person not doing quests. The quests are fedex style quests (like EVE trade missions) for about the first 10 lvls then it gets a lot more involving. The Heritage quests gives tons of xp, rewards and other things.

Collection quests are easy to do as well and you can lvl VERY fast that way too. Also, you'll get a double XP bonus to your character as you continue to play. Grinding in EQ2 is the best Ive seen in terms of comparing it to other fantasy based mmorpgs. A casual game player wont hit a lvl cap for at least 6 months. 60 lvls is a lot...especially for a casual player.

The community is Very mature. I have an account on Befallen and everyone is nice. There's always people on and everyone is very mature. If someone acts up and is immature in general chat that person usually goes away. Also, CSRs takes /report infractions seriously. So you wont see people Spamming cusswords or anything like that

The PvP is still rather soft as they are just implemeting this feature and EQ2 simply has more content than any other contemporary fantasy based MMO out there

IMO

• moonfogmoonfog Member Posts: 979

There is no way you can avoid grind in a mmo that has XP leveling. The only people that state EQ2 is a grind crearly are interested in leveling fast and only that, and cant think of any other way to level fast in EQ2 (maybe cuz there is no other way).

If you enjoy quests and fun storys, great community and an amazing world that will engulf you, then EQ2 is for you.
    Not to mention a well thought out crafting system and character creation and evolving.

Its a blast. Just chill out, do quests and have fun. Dont think like "I gotta get to level XX fast man!", if you do you will not enjoy it, and miss out on alot of great things in the world of EQ2.

• MudshovelMudshovel Member Posts: 79

I'm asking this because i'm sick of MMORPG hopping. I want to find THE one and stick with it. The thing that scares me is to invest time in something that will ge me nowhere. So if I can explore, RP a bit, find a good guild and chill like you said then I think it might be for me..

How is the Priest / Templar / Inquisitor class? I love to play D&D rules cleric style.. and didn't find much mmorpgs with them..

Thanks

• NiberNiber Member Posts: 203

Terrible, theres very little to do, raid zones for level 60s are sparce. 

Takes about 3-4 months for a hardcore to hit 60, so I'd imagine depending on your definition of casual 6-8 months maybe.

- Mature community? This is so important nowadays..

Community is awesome, although alot of people have quit over the months there's still a great population of players.

Oh, and about Clerics -- most Clerics are unhappy these days because Druids (Fury/Warden) heal better and have more utility. This is likely to change, but at the moment Druids are prefered.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Mudshovel
    I've been reading many post / sites about EQ2 and wanted to know if this game was for me.
    I'm currently playing EVE and enjoying it a lot, but I need another game to get my feets on the "ground" ::::09::
    I've tried the Trial of the isle, seemed ok.

- Mature community? This is so important nowadays..I played DaoC when it was in beta, enjoyed it, but the game is too old now and way too hard to catch up. Played WoW when it camed out and got bored after 6 months then tried Lineage II which was ok and more my type but the grind is just soo horrible.I'm looking for something with the WoW quality, but more immersive, hard core and more content.
    Do you think that's for me?

I played EVE as well and I think you'd probably like EQ2 a lot if you enjoyed trial of the isle. In my opinion the game only gets better as you level. the "Grind" so to speak isn't bad at all and, in fact, you don't ever have to grind if you choose not to. There are SO MANY quests that you can literally just do quests and you'll eventually hit level cap just from questing without ever having to do the whole "grind" thing. Just accomplishing your goals in the quests will get you enough xp to level at a fairly decent pace.

Now:
    If you are one of those folks that TURNS a game into a grinder and tries to reach max level as fast as possible the grind in EQ2 is actually very short. You can hit level 60 in a couple months play, easily, even as a 'casual' gamer. Playing 1-2hrs a night I hit 26 in 2 weeks when I first started playing. After that I started just doing quests (because that's a LOT more fun) my pace slowed down a bit but I had my first toon in the game to it's 40's within less than 2 months.

Just my opinions but I've found EQ2 to be VERY fun to play and the roleplaying atmosphere on the RP servers is soooooo refreshing after EVE's constant OOC chat.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• MudshovelMudshovel Member Posts: 79

I might give it a shot..

But one more question : Is there a European version? like WOW?

Thanks!

• LowdosLowdos Member Posts: 644

There sure is :)

I'm from the UK but play on Antonia Bayle ( US Server). You have to manually switch which region of servers you wanna play in, (US or EU) when you open the launcher.

And best of all, www.play.com is selling DOF expansion (which comes with the original game)
    for only £9.99! (less than 20 dollars) with free shipping. The delivery may take a few days though, I think they're based in Devon.

That's where I got my copy from last week, and Im loving it so far.