Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Family Guy Online shutting down

mordaki987mordaki987 Member UncommonPosts: 36
Wel from the looks of it and from the announcement on the family guy online website family guy online will be closing its doors permanently.  it also doesn't look like the game will even make it to an official realese they are just shutting it down with no word or explenation as to why they are doing so.  seems kinda lame to me as this game could of been as much of a success as fusionfall is if only they had added in more game content and gave us more areas to explore.  at any rate i'm sure some of you would want to know the news in regards to FGO

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    My first though was 'WTF is Family Guy Online'.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by mordaki987
    Wel from the looks of it and from the announcement on the family guy online website family guy online will be closing its doors permanently.  it also doesn't look like the game will even make it to an official realese they are just shutting it down with no word or explenation as to why they are doing so.  seems kinda lame to me as this game could of been as much of a success as fusionfall is if only they had added in more game content and gave us more areas to explore.  at any rate i'm sure some of you would want to know the news in regards to FGO

oh right... from the email they sent me I got the impression that it was just the open beta that was ending, with all the cash spent in the shop during it being refunded.

I admit I scanned it though and didn't really try to absorb what was being said.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I tried it on and off over the past year, and I have been barraged by emails regularly from them over the past few months. I don't know why they thought this would make a fun game.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Didn't even know there was a game. Probably part of the problem.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    No explanation at all? Interesting, looks like the people behind the game treat their players with as little respect as Macfarlane does with his audience.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I thought what in the world, I had no idea they had an online game. OH well if it was anything like the cartoon the only good ones where the star wars ones that made fun of star wars. 

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I tried it out a while back. Although I love family guy and all, the novelty wears off pretty darn fast. Honestly though with 30 minute episodes on tv I don't understand how they even thought for a minute their target audience would last any longer than that for a game of the same vein. Either way its a shame to see any mmorpg close their doors for good.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Thats too bad.

I thought it was a fun little game to kill some time with.

Not the best, but still fun

Hell of alot better than SWTOR

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Good. I'm sick of huckster companies trying to turn any peice of drek into an MMO just to turn a buck.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I'm not much surprised, they slowly ruined a nicely starting promise...

For those who didn't played it, the game launched as a Family Guy mmolol (indeed, lol in the category), a kinda adventure-ish questing/exploring game setted in Quahog, full of FG references, funny outfits, etc. Ideal for someone who likes MacFarlane's work. The whole game was fun to play, even the fighting parts were great but a bit clunky. Only drawback was (like other content-focused games) the shortness of content, you could play it through basically in a longer weekend, and then only the "dungeons" and the limited-time events left (like the Ted promo). A frequent topic was in forum "when do you add / open up more areas?"

After that somehow the devs came to the idea (even stated on a dev diary) that "combat is fun, more combat is more fun", so they started to redesign the game. Switched the conversation parts in missions to fighting with mobs (usually in multiple waves), then changed the whole combat system, then replaced the (until that point only cosmetic) outfits for statted gear, then filled the open areas with mobs and loot, pterodactyls, and finally they added pvp.

True, it solved their previous problem, nobody cared about missing content anymore, they just had to keep adding new gear in the shop. On the other hand, the game became a regular, dime-a-dozen action game with Family Guy skin, and to be honest, not even a good one. Since it's a browser game, it's clunky a bit. That wasn't a problem when adventuring, but it turned out a bigger issue with a combat-oriented game...

I think it's a waste, based on the Family Guy seasons with Fox in the background, they could've made a great game. I guess it goes to the "Messed Up Gems by Fox" list right under Dark Angel and Firefly (and maybe Futurama :) )

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

WTF this game was the bomb! I mean you figure that something like "Family Guy" would last as an online game but......... whatever i just wanna play Neverwinter when it comes out.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Now if only the show would die.
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by Eir_S

We are of one mind.

Did you dislike it from the start or did Conway Twitty kill it for you?

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    i played it its horribad unless your 'reward' for completing a quest is to watch a family guy clip you have probably seen so many times its no longer funny, is an appealing reward.  In short there is just nothing special about it, its not the worst game i have ever played but its totally lacking in appeal so ya , not a shock it went bye bye
  • CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by zevni78

We are of one mind.

5 words

Chcken fights

Boring long songs

• WhiskeydustWhiskeydust Member UncommonPosts: 79
    No explanation at all? Interesting, looks like the people behind the game treat their players with as little respect as Macfarlane does with his audience.

Shut up!    just shut up!  and for fucks sake ....get a sense of humor

• The_ArgoThe_Argo Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Never heard of it before now. Probably the main issue they have is hardly anyone know about it, and then secondary issue is it sounds awful.
  • KaraminalKaraminal Member Posts: 58
    Good.
  • RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Agreed. I admit to liking the first five seasons, but after that it went to pot. McFarlane being a complete and utter douchebag doesn't help things either.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

We are of one mind.

The Conway Twitty incident didn't help, but I was never a huge fan.  I think Stewie is the only good character... but even then, Seth McFarlane gave Cleveland his own show. 

CLEVELAND.

The man is clearly insane.