Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] The Secret World: Joel Bylos’ Game Director’s Letter

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com and Funcom have teamed up to bring our readers the first view of The Secret World Game Director Joel Bylos' latest letter to the community. As he sits huddled in his bunker, Joel hopes development of TSW will continue past December 21st and he's got lots of news to share if it does! Read on and get excited! Leave us your thoughts in the comments.

One of the great strengths with The Secret World is our ambitious post-launch update plan. So far we’ve released five strong updates, called Issues, chock full of content, storylines, features and improvements. Having something new to play around with, something that keeps the game fresh and alive is important for us and we remain fully committed to releasing regular Issues. As part of the move away from required subscription, there will be some components of these issues that are free, while the other components will be paid DLC content. Though it will most likely differ from update to update, content such as new storylines and new locations will usually be part of the paid DLC.

Read more of Joel Bylos’ Game Director’s Letter.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212

/salute 

I SHALL JOIN YOU IN THE FIRES OF HELL, KIND SIR! GOOD DAY!

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Joel is like my favourite dude on the interwebs these days. I love his articles and interviews. I actually lol too.
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    This is getting better and better, can't wait for the event!! Loving the ARG too! thanks

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Ash23NeuroAsh23Neuro Member Posts: 13
    See you in another life and another (secret) world!
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Since for me the world / the content is the core in TSW, my favourite part in the letter was:

"I think that it puts the responsibility on us to deliver high quality, consistent content that is worth paying for. ...  We've moved away from the "shotgun" approach to missions, that is, rather than spreading all of our missions across the entire game, each update will target a specific storyline.

This means that we can create long and compelling experiences that are diverse and offer something different every month."

I can't wait the upcoming Issues :)

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    sounds promising.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• OzimandeusOzimandeus Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Its a Fab game, overshadowed by the PR Behemoth that was Guild Wars 2 and WoW:MoP.. In my view a game for the adults, whilst the kiddies get to play in Tyria and Azeroth.
  • Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    @Ozimandeus

Aside from its querky issues.. GW 2 and MOP did over shadow the TSW. on top of that, they didn't follow the trend and have a hybrid payment plan...

Also there is the tendency in the mmo space where fantasy beats all others, with sci-fi getting a boost recently, so TSW always was going to have it cut out for them.

Funcom, can take some positive out of this as TSW is there best effort yet..

Also others here have been stressing innovation, but too much innovation and you move away from the norm and you risk alienating yourself to death..

I think art style, originality and presentation is what will continue to drive mmo, but even that have risk..
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

The Secret World has HANDS DOWN the best writing and quest design of ANY MMORPG I've ever played. Hands down - no competition.

The quests are well written, voice acted and so many of them are SO creative!

The atmosphere of the game is amazing - the sounds, the artistic style, etc.

The Combat is pretty MEH to be honest - it's not something I consider very fun (using Shotgun/Hammer combo atm... perhaps another combo would be more fun.)

Overall, I'd strongly recommend this MMORPG to anyone who doesn't mind excercising their mind - anyone who wants to do more than mindlessly drool and grind.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• SwobyJSwobyJ Member Posts: 80
    I cannot WAIT to play Tyler Freeborn, as my new main is in the middle of Savage Coast right now and has to wait :), but I heard (aside from the initial bugs..) great things about this mission-line. Like he wasn't exaggerating about it being SP Adventure Game worthy.
    Oh and about combat - at least for most players, the inital solo stuff just doesn't make full use of the system. Once into dungeons and later content, many (but not all) players get into experimenting, making full hybrid builds, and making what's fun for them, instead of just a x+y weapon combo with the basic builders and finishers. Your feeling might not change, but for some others it at least did.
  • Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170
    make the combat more accessible not requireing me to have 3 hands or plug in a 360 controller and i might give it another try. i enjoyed most everything i saw about the game (except the british accents i COULD NOT understand AT ALL and of course there was no subtitles during cutscenes only during actual gameplay and even that i wasn't always able to catch in time) but my god the combat was above and beyond what i am capable of doing with W,A,S,D and a mouse. i realize that most modern mmo gamers have giant hands with a thousand fingers of varying lengths tha can essentially use an entire keyboard and number pad and 2 mice at once, but i am no such person and trying to run around, dodge, use abilities 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and a mouse ALLL at once was neither comfortable or reliable for me (i lost my place on the keyboard repeatedly and would be pressing E,S,D,F or some such completely screwing up. cause i suck at these controls. i need to plug in a controller. but if that's what it takes when no other mmo does, i just can't be bothered. shame too, cause i found the world itself and lore very entertaining.

Ian, wtf, haha. There's subtitles for everything, and you just need WASD and num 1-6 to do everything. Like most MMOs.
  • ThorgrimmThorgrimm Age of Conan CorrespondentMember Posts: 274

Will see you in the Fifth Age, Joel.  We, of the Dragon, do NOT intend to let the world end.  We will maintain balance until the end...

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I remember when I started the game back on release, liked it within the first couple of hours. After 10 hours I was in love with it.

When I played this one mission, where I found a crashed car, got to listen to the navigation device voice of the route the car took and had to backtrack that route by looking at the map to find out from which address the car departed to reach the next tier I yelled "Awesome!!" at the screen several times. In TSW one can find the finest mission design ever done in the MMO genre. This level of quality content, I hope they are able to keep up

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ZhiggyZhiggy Member Posts: 1
    Server Down-time for another HOTFIX... No.. we're not playing Issue 5!
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by SwobyJ
    Oh and about combat - at least for most players, the inital solo stuff just doesn't make full use of the system. Once into dungeons and later content, many (but not all) players get into experimenting, making full hybrid builds, and making what's fun for them, instead of just a x+y weapon combo with the basic builders and finishers. Your feeling might not change, but for some others it at least did.

Yep, it pays to sit down a bit with the ability wheel to understand how it works -- some very nice builds to be had with some experimentation and study.  Here's a really good primer:

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:build-mechanics

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    I love seeing the rekindled interest in The Secret World.  I've been back at school with no free time to play for the past several months, but this new pay model and the new content updates seem to have a positive effect on a game worthy of more exposure.  I hope the newcomers enjoy it.
  • kp695304kp695304 Member UncommonPosts: 26

I just started playing TSW, having alot of fun with it. I had avoided it because I was already into several other mmos and it got some bad feedback from clanmates who played it on launch. Playing now there is alot of great things in it I like. I am sick to death of fantasy games and have been slowly trying to stop playing them completely(still play gw2/wow/darkfall a bit). TSW is a great blend of paranormal/sci-fi/conspiracy stuff.  From the few missions I have completed I think they actually made a game with difficult and clever puzzles.

Buy to play is really awesome and well done, so far as good or better than what is in GW2 and better than all the F2P crap I have seen over the past few years. This is a game I will not mind investing some cash into for vanity/dlc content when the time comes, somethin Ive only done for GW2 bag slots.

End of days ARG is pretty sweet too, alot harder than I expected :P

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

When I read it was going B2P I was actually interested but then I read the details and realized they are only doing this because the game failed to do well and this is a B2P freemium, not actually B2P. Much like with F2P freemium, B2P freemium creates a second class citizen in new players...monthly subscribers get bonuses that only they have access to.

No thank you.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• ArtalisArtalis Member UncommonPosts: 17

Uh. You pay 30 bucks and you get the whole game. No restrictions on hotbars, items you can use, clothing you can wear. No lockboxes that drop in the game that you have to buy keys for.

Try and find a better deal. There isn't one. If you'd read/listen to the interviews with Joel the 'second-class citizen' thing is EXACTLY what he's against.  

But they do have to make some money. How do you think they are going to keep the servers running and the staff paid if people don't pay subscription fees and they don't sell DLC? Magic?

The perks that subscribers and grandmasters get are nothing great I assure you. And as a Grandmaster I don't care, I'd rather have a solid community.

So, how bout you give it a shot and make an informed decision instead of jumping to ill-concieved conclusions?

The game is well-worth your 30 bucks, honest.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    I wonder how my 10.4.4 char I quit playing months ago is doing..
  • DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by jtcgs

When I read it was going B2P I was actually interested but then I read the details and realized they are only doing this because the game failed to do well and this is a B2P freemium, not actually B2P. Much like with F2P freemium, B2P freemium creates a second class citizen in new players...monthly subscribers get bonuses that only they have access to.

No thank you.

Ya if someone buys a membership to pay for future DLC and some cosmetic outfits, I don't see why I have to do that too. I want everything for free, and I mean EVERYTHING.

Just had to lol at this post. The nerve of some people.