Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blood elves on the horde side: good or bad?

Hola its Mikesta,
I have read all about the new World of Warcraft expansion pack and it all looks really cool and exciting. But i hear alot of opposition for the blood elves being on the horde side. People say they should be on the alliance side b/c they helped they alliance and w/e. What do you guys think

Personally, i think they made the right move. I do know that they served the alliance for a time because of some pact that the humans of Strom (I think) made with the high elves to teach the humans magic. Or maybe it was that they saved them from trolls ( i dont really remember). Well w/e the case, they high elves did serve the humans. However, when they became the blood elves, after a while, they betryed the humans to help Illidan (some fallen nightelf/demon guy. Demon hunter) fight the lich king because Illidan promised the help quench the blood elves thirst for magic that was lost when King arthas used the sun well in their capitol to revive the necromancer Kel'thuzad and turn him into a lich. So, after the betrayal, i hardly see the blood elves as being an alliance race, and since they are going to put them in the expansion, they really had to make the blood elves a horde race.

Oh and btw, what do you guys think about the new expansion. To me it looks amazing (i wanna see how they do the flying mounts) i am a little disappointed about the level cap. only 10 more levels, eh, they should have done like atleast level cap of 80, but they could have doubled their current cp to 120, and they would have literally double the content (but if they did that, they would either have to release it in like 2 years, or half ass it and kill the series)

Tell me wat you think about both topics

Am I ever wrong??

Comments

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646

Blood Elves on horde side was the only way to go for Blizzard. The Alliance to horde ratio of the players is quite bad on 95% of all World of Warcraft servers. In most cases it's like 5/1 in favor of the Alliance. Wich is horrible unbalanced. So that is why horde had to have a "nice looking elf" race. Face it. 90% of people want to play elf characters. I think they handled it quite well lore wise. It doesn't feel like it has been arranged that Blood Elves joined to horde, it feels more like a natural development, wich is good.

Regarding the features of the expansion. I'm pleased. I mean who can't be. What mmo expansion offers timetravel + spacetravel + flying mounts + 2 new races + new regions? The only dissapointment I have is the lvl cap increase. It shouldn't be there. The first 57-60 killed me as a rpg player. I can't start a mmo all over again. From now on I'm just able to start games with no lvl grind ::::05:: But I guess I will manage the 10 lvl's. What I await the most is the timer travel aspect. Reliving the epic ending of Warcraft III in 3rd person will be amazing, amazing I tell ya. Rescuing Thrall, opening the Dark portal, and fighting the horde in a battleground from Warcraft II won't be that bad either ::::24:: Implementing the Caverns of time is a genious move. Now Blizzard can develop the warcraft storyline backwards, upwards, forward, sidewards, basicly in any way they want::::20::. But there is still alot of unrevealed content that awaits us in the expansion. I guess the next weeks and months will show us alot of what's awaiting us in 2006 (Most likely). Alliance race is still unrevealed, there are more areas besides Outland planned and so on.

Blizzard didn't only reveal what the expansion has to offer. Now it's confirmed: Weather effects are coming soon. Before the expansion for sure. And they promise they will be better than anything you have ever seen before. A magazine also wrote that Blizzard might try to implement housing before the expansion too.

Btw: Shouldn't this thread be in the Wow forum. Or should it have been a post in one of the threads there?

• vladracvladrac Member Posts: 72

I think its kinda stupid, in the narration it even says that the Blood elves used to be high elves and that the undead wiped them out/ravaged them....um now they are on their side?! wtf lol.

-=<VlaDrak>=-
    www.sugarfist.com

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646

Originally posted by vladrac
    I think its kinda stupid, in the narration it even says that the Blood elves used to be high elves and that the undead wiped them out/ravaged them....um now they are on their side?! wtf lol.

You actually paid attention to the Warcraft storyline? High Elves where killed be the Undead, lead by Arthas. The scourge that is part of the horde, are other victims of Arthas too. The scourge has nothing to do with the undead that killed the high elves, infact they hate them as much as all the other races.

• Mikesta707Mikesta707 Member Posts: 338

Uh, the scourge slaughtered the high elves. the forsaken, the playable undead race in WoW, took no part the destruction of the high elves. Actually, the leader of the Forsaken is an undead High elf who was killed trying to protect her capital city. So the blood elves being on the horde makes more sense

On a different note, wats the most anticipated thing coming up in the new expansion pack. I am looking forward to flying mounts because they are just cool

Am I ever wrong??

Originally posted by Phoenixs
    Originally posted by vladrac

You actually paid attention to the Warcraft storyline? High Elves where killed be the Undead, lead by Arthas. The scourge that is part of the horde, are other victims of Arthas too. The scourge has nothing to do with the undead that killed the high elves, infact they hate them as much as all the other races.

hmm you got to the post b4 i did. lol we were writing at like the same time

Am I ever wrong??

• ParepinParepin Member UncommonPosts: 257

Can Horde players kill them?

If not, its not worth it.

• DinionDinion Member Posts: 879

More chances for alts which means keeping people playing longer. WoW would need like a total crafting and PvP revamp before I would ever consider going back.

----------------------------------
    MMOs Retired From: Earth and Beyond, Project Entropia, There, A Tale in the Desert, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Eve Online, City of Heroes/Villains.

MMOs Currently (worth) Playing: None.

MMO hopefuls: Age of Conan.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I think its awesome.  As a Horde player I have definetly noticed the imbalance.  On my server its a 3:1 ratio.  Also it seems the Blood Elves arent as rascist as the Humans and bulk of the Alliance are.  They are able to see that the Forsaken are an unfortunate people who got dealt the worse hand.  But to the Alliance/Crimson Crusade.  They are nothing more then vile undead who wish to kill them all off.  Yay Lady Sylvanas.

Originally posted by Cleffy
    Also it seems the Blood Elves arent as rascist as the Humans and bulk of the Alliance are. They are able to see that the Forsaken are an unfortunate people who got dealt the worse hand. But to the Alliance/Crimson Crusade. They are nothing more then vile undead who wish to kill them all off. Yay Lady Sylvanas.

uhh... wat are you talking about. I have no clue wat u are saying here. Are you saying that the blood elves are joining the horde b/c they feel bad for the forsaken??? if so you are mistaken (IMO). the blood elves are joining because they need an ally, and the alliance probably wont want to see them again after the whole, betrayed the alliance, help a fallen night elf thing.
    is this wat you are saying, or are you saying something totally different. I dont understand you!!

Am I ever wrong??

Im saying the Alliance are a bunch of rascist A-holes according to lore; and the Blood elves arent as bad.

Humans backstab treaty with Horde and send a fleet to destroy Ogrimmar.

Crimson Crusade attacks former allies who were wiped out by the scourge and turned into the undead faction of the Forsaken.

The Commander in charge of the former High Elves sent them into suicide missions.

If you talk to actual players in the world; most are fanatical about killing off Horde members, cause they think they are evil.

• stephen_sofstephen_sof Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 388

good for horde bad for allience...

"It's the darkness that brings us power"

• CeredwynnCeredwynn Member Posts: 124

the alliance were the ones to jailed and tried to execute the blood elves in the first place, why would they allign themselves with that again... it was becus of that, that the blood elves teamed up with the naga and illidan to escape the alliance.

if the blood elves were part of the alliance they would have to make a big huge explaination as to why the blood elves teamed up with the alliance again which would be a plot whole in my opinion.

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

Okay I have to correct some stuff youve said so people dont get confused.

Im saying the Alliance are a bunch of rascist A-holes according to lore; and the Blood elves arent as bad.
    Humans backstab treaty with Horde and send a fleet to destroy Ogrimmar.

The fleet was sent FAAR before the alliance was made, they had no knowlege about it, and thus the confusion. Armiral Proudmoore, the person in charge of the fleet would not belive in such a think as an Alliance between the Horde and the Alliance.
    That is why Lady Proudmoore turned on her father for sake of realations.

Crimson Crusade attacks former allies who were wiped out by the scourge and turned into the undead faction of the Forsaken.
    Its the Scarlet Crusade didnt attack former allies. They are a faction that were lead by a demon that was hellbent on killing everything that was undead. Sadly, they were brainwashed too far, and were lead to beleive that not only the undead were the enemy, but anybody who wasnt in their tabbard was working with the undead.

The Commander in charge of the former High Elves sent them into suicide missions.
    This is partially true, but the Alliance was always like this.

If you talk to actual players in the world; most are fanatical about killing off Horde members, cause they think they are evil.
    Its called PvP, and both sides are the same way.

Also, the blood elves are on the horde side, becuase the horde would take them. Add in the fact that the leader of the forsaken Lady Sylvannas was once a high elf like them who died trying to save her people.
    I expect they would have stronger relations to the Forsaken than the rest of the horde (IE neutral to the rest, friendly to the Forsaken, and vice versa)

The high elves were abandoned by the Alliance, and it makes sense that they would side with the forsaken, and likewise accepting the horde as allies.

As for the Alliance side, I would say its Draeni. As they were killed almost to extinction by the Horde in their home world, and they would probably jump at the oppertunity to get back at them.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

id say well done to the horde for having one more person but id say blood elvs were a stupid race to put on the horde side..

horde is saying naa we want blood elves but if horde got a new race e.g. demons or something they would rather that then blood elves would they not?

either way i dont mind :P

• ZhanghiaZhanghia Member UncommonPosts: 1,312
    ... blood elves tried to help the alliance but were almost driven to extinction by Lord Garithos and his near suicide tactics. (remember taking on 3 bases all at once when you had nearly no materials?). No, Blood Elves are peeved and wanting revenge. Maybe play the game and try again.
  • leipurileipuri Member Posts: 559
    I just find it funny to watch all elf maniacs whine about it. These are the same players who always pick elf as their race and cant come up with any original name, but come up with names like legolas, arwen and all different variations of it. Now they would have to go play on hordes side to play this new type elf image
  • BillenBillen Member Posts: 42

I think I'll just quote Ctrl+Alt+Del, since the following pretty much explains what I feel:

"What's the new Alliance race going to be? Blue Orcs? Happy-fun-time Trolls? Heck, why even do that much work? Just give dwarves some different beard options and call them, oh, I dunno, Blood Dwarves."

-----------------------------------------

1338 - One Step Above

• SithosSithos Member UncommonPosts: 315

The Blood Elves are the remnants of the High Elves who survived the destruction of Quel'Thalas by the Undead Scourge. They style themselves as Blood Elves in remembrance of their slaughtered brethren. At first they remained loyal to the failing Alliance in Lordaeron and its racist human commander in the region, Grand Marshal Garithos, who despised all non-human races. Despite the obvious talent of their leader, Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider, Garithos saw the Blood Elves as expendable and repeatedly assigned them impossible missions, ordering them to hold off major Undead assaults without any support from Human or Dwarven troops. Garithos hoped to use these battles as a way to gradually kill off the Blood Elves while also taking care of the main threat posed by the Scourge.

During one such hopeless battle against the Undead near Dalaran, a desperate Kael was approached by a contingent of Naga, a serpentine race descended from the Night Elves, and their general, the Sea Witch Lady Vashj. Vashj offered Kael the assistance of her forces and advised him to abandon the failing Alliance. Kael refused at first, but was eventually forced to accept Vashj's offer in order to win the battle and save his people.

Garithos discovered this ruse, and used the event as an excuse to exterminate the Blood Elves. Along with his brethren, Kael was thrown into the underground dungeons of Dalaran to await execution. The night before the execution, however, Kael was rescued by Vashj, who had snuck into the dungeons through the sewers. Together, they freed Kael's people, overcame the jailors and escaped though a magical portal, which had been formed when Archimonde had been summoned to Azeroth and led to the shattered world of Outland — formerly, the Orcish homeworld of Draenor.

Here, Vashj revealed to Kael a startling truth: like the Naga, he and his people were terminally addicted to the magic that they had once wielded effortlessly. The High Elves had drawn their power from the mystical Sunwell in Quel'Thalas for centuries, but once it was consumed by the Scourge, they had with nothing left to slake their thirst for the arcane. Vashj promised him a solution if they could find her master, the renegade demon hunter Illidan Stormrage.

Three days into their march through Outland, they came across a Night Elven stronghold and discovered that Illidan had been captured by the Barrow Deeps Warden, Maiev Shadowsong, who had been hunting him relentlessly since his escape from Kalimdor. The Blood Elf and Naga forces rescued Illidan from the Night Elves who had taken him captive.

Once free, Illidan told Kael that his people's addiction could not be cured, but it could be fed, and promised the Blood Elves enough magic — from demonic sources — to satisfy them if they would help him conquer Outland, which would serve as a new home for the Blood Elves and a refuge for Illidan and his Naga after failing to destroy the Frozen Throne. Ironically, the Blood Elves had contributed greatly to this failure, when earlier, at Dalaran, they had helped the Night Elves under Maiev and Malfurion Stormrage disrupt a spell that Illidan was casting to melt the glaciers of Northrend, the arctic stronghold of the Scourge. With no choice, Kael and his people pledged their loyalty to Illidan in the hopes of their survival.

Illidan taught Kael and the Blood Elves how to draw their magical powers from the warlock energies of demons and other adversaries. Illidan, the Blood Elves and the Naga liberated the Draenei, the native denizens of Draenor who had been hunted almost to excinction by the Orcs and demons under the rule of Magtheridon, a Pit Lord who had ruled Outland since the closing of the Dark Portal. After closing the dimensional gates from which Magtheridon summoned demons from the Twisting Nether to bolster his forces, the three commanders, assisted by Draenei under the Elder Seer Akama, stormed Magtheridon's stronghold in the Black Citadel and took it by force.

Moments after the citadel fell, Kil'jaeden, one of the Burning Legion's last great demonlords and Illidan's new master, appeared and confronted Illidan, furious over Illidan's earlier failure to destroy the Frozen Throne and bemused that Illidan was foolish enough to try and hide from him in Outland. However, he saw promise in Illidan's new followers, and decided to give him one last chance.

Under Illidan's leadership, the Blood Elves and Naga then travelled to Northrend, where they ultimately failed in their mission to destroy the Frozen Throne and were defeated by Arthas and the Undead Scourge. The Blood Elves and Vashj's Naga retreated back to Outland with Illidan, where they established permanent settlements.

The remaining Blood Elves on Azeroth have constructed a new emptire in Quel'Thalas. They have turned to the Horde to help them find their way to Outland, where they can once again be united with their leader, Kael'thas.

Thats why the Blood Elves are on the horde side.

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

good now i don't have to play stinking ally to play elve, and i can stay with good

---------------------------------------------
    WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
    "If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura
    ---------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Munki

As for the Alliance side, I would say its Draeni. As they were killed almost to extinction by the Horde in their home world, and they would probably jump at the oppertunity to get back at them.

The Draeni on the alliance side... doubt it. The draeni also aided Illidan, the naga and the night elves, so i doubt that the alliance would except an ally that helped someone who betrayed them. Also the Draeni were killed almost to extinction by the orcs on their homeworld after being corrupted by the blood of that pit lord guy (I think thats how it went, dont quite remember), so as they may want ot get back at orcs in general, thralls orcs had nothing to do with their slaughter so they would probably be less inclined to join the alliance.

Am I ever wrong??

Its Furbolgs, lol j/k

Truthfully I would want Hot demons like the succubus; and that Lady Sylvanas minion on the Horde rather then Blood Elves, but Blood Elves are close enough.

Originally posted by Cleffy
    Its Furbolgs, lol j/k
    Truthfully I would want Hot demons like the succubus; and that Lady Sylvanas minion on the Horde rather then Blood Elves, but Blood Elves are close enough.

the succubus cant be a race, that would mess up the whole, warlock summoning them thing. It would be like a warlock summoning an orc to do her/his bidding. and Sylvanas's minion?? are you talking about varimatras (completely misspelled that) the dread lord. hmmm dreadlords as a race. that would be insane, but that wouldnt work. Dreadlords wouldnt be on the horde side because first of all, they work for Sargeras, some titan guy that used to be good and who helped defeat the dreadlords and the eredar, another type of demon, but became evil and set them free.. The dreadlords also wouldnt work for the horde because the dreadlords dont just exist on Azeroth. The only reason that Varimathras works for Sylvanis is that she was gonna kill him but instead he betrayed his brothers and helped her so he could survive.

In my opinion, putting blood elves on the horde side was a ogod idea. As alot of people have said, alot of guys that play fantasy MMO's play as elves, and by putting an elf race on the horde side, they have made the horde look better than it did, thus helping to even out the like 5:1 ratio on most servers.

Am I ever wrong??