Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you want SWTOR to fail?

Comments

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Ayliar

It's still a young game that was half baked to begin with. Their payment model is not  by any means F2P. I don't think it even qualifies as freemium, it's more like greedium. I know the purpose of online games is to generate revenue, but don't call a Big Mac a steak and charge steak prices. Then don't put it in a combo and charge me for every item in that combo at a higher price.

I don't want to see it die or fail. I want to see them change their cartel shop and their subscription model to something more sensible. Content will come with time, fixes will come with time, criticism of it will never go away . The landscape of online games has changed in the last 15 years and the number of unreasonable complaints have over-shadowed viable requests from reasonable consumers.

Heh, tell me about unreasonable complaints.

BUT

there needs to be at least bare minimun, and SWTOR has plunged below that minimum (its EA after all)

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    I voted yes.. I, for some reason, still have hope for a good Star Wars mmo someday.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

The thought of it shutting down next year, today, is more shocking as it is new, and F2P has just been launched, and there are new players everywhere from it, with total excitement and joy, but

Next year, I do not think too many will be worried if it gets shut down next year, as a year is plenty of time to get the most out of the game.

It would be good if they did turn it around, but the way things are going at  the moment, it does not look like it. The game cost millions of dollars to make, and needs 500K subs (or equivlanet with cash shop added in) to break even, which they are striuggling to maintain, and have no more money to chuck at it. If the license is only for 2 years, I doubt they will renew.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    For licensing reasons, we can't get a better Star Wars MMO as long as this one is around.  Because of that, I voted yes.

You make me like charity

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Perhaps it would have been better had the game never come out but it IS out and so 'NO' it should not fail.

Bad for the industry, bad for the people involved.

Anyone who honestly answered 'yes' and meant it needs to get their heads checked or think before you type....or both.

• mcburlymcburly Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    For licensing reasons, we can't get a better Star Wars MMO as long as this one is around.  Because of that, I voted yes.

THIS RIGHT HERE.

As Star Wars fans we deserve better and not the WoW wannabe we received. All true Star Wars fans should agree.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Digna

Perhaps it would have been better had the game never come out but it IS out and so 'NO' it should not fail.

Bad for the industry, bad for the people involved.

Anyone who honestly answered 'yes' and meant it needs to get their heads checked or think before you type....or both.

It does not necessarily will be bad for the people involved or bad for the industry.

The Doctors have now left Bioware and left gaming altogether, because they are so ashamed of it all. I think the sooner it shuts down, EA and the people involved the sooner they will lose the bad rep this game has generated.

EA will then put the Bioware team on to something else, and if I was in Bioware working on SWTOR I would have looked for another job already.

When SWG shut down, SOE staff just moved to other games, and now SOE and Smedley are starting to lose the bad rep for the NGE. SOE in 2012 - 1) They changed their minds about shutting down EQ mac following player feedback, 2) Planetside 2 has been a reasonable success, 3) they finally listened to the EU community and made it optional to stay with SOE or go to PSS1 (except DCUO), and 4) Smedley is more worshipped following his speech about the future of MMOs and EQ next being a sandbox and bring back the MMO genre (although will have to see if it comes true but for 2012 SOE have done good after SWG)

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    I played the game for a while recently. I enjoyed myself and the story line, but then came the time when I inspected all the places EA and Bioware decided to charge me to play the game more effectively. I mean..... REALLY?... You are going to charge me to have more than 1 hotbar I can hotkey? I can see unlocking content through points or real money. I can see unlocking vanity items, but to lock me out of hotbars?! The list goes on from here, but I will leave it at that for now. So just out of the stupidity of their F2P lockout choices it would not bother me to see them fail.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    I voted yes becasue we need somebody who can take the IP and give us a better game than what we got. 
  • pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by Xepo

I played the game for a while recently. I enjoyed myself and the story line, but then came the time when I inspected all the places EA and Bioware decided to charge me to play the game more effectively. I mean..... REALLY?... You are going to charge me to have more than 1 hotbar I can hotkey? I can see unlocking content through points or real money. I can see unlocking vanity items, but to lock me out of hotbars?! The list goes on from here, but I will leave it at that for now. So just out of the stupidity of their F2P lockout choices it would not bother me to see them fail.

Oh ok you have one example, that example was fixed by the way. So feel free to try again.
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    I voted yes simply because I would like to see EA stop EAing.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by wildtalent
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    Originally posted by bigsmiff
    I don't want to see anyone lose jobs, but I would love to see a better Star Wars MMO. I would like to see Bioware scrap SWTOR and make an open world MMO with sandbox elements, great crafting, housing and a robust space system.

I would agree with this, except that I wouldn't want "Bioware" to touch Star Wars anymore, since the Bioware we knew no longer exists.

Now that Disney owns  Star Wars, I wouldn't expect much in the way of creativity and open worlds. It will be commercialized as much as it possibly can be from here on out -- even more than it has been till now, if you can imagine that.

Wow, it just occurred to me that Disney does own Star Wars and the only reason we lost SWG was that Lucas Arts didn't renew with Sony.  What a waste.  We could have had both games.  

That's a BS. Don't blame SWTOR for SWG shut down. Blame players who were not loyal to the game and did not support it.

Sony did not want to continue SWG. They were loosing money on it. They knew that all blame will go to LucasArt LOL.

See the coments from Smedley and LucasArt  http://www.vg247.com/2011/07/16/lucasarts-making-swg-free-to-play-just-isnt-financially-viable/

Lucasarts has responded to the closure of Star Wars: Galaxies, stating both it and SOE “investigated every option to keep the game open,” before deciding to shutter it completely.

According to a statement given to GamePro, both firms even discusses making it a free-to-play title, but decided it wouldn’t be a viable business decision.

“Changing the business model for an experience like Star Wars Galaxies takes a major investment and overhauling of the existing infrastructure of the game,” read the statement. “We’re unfortunately at a point in our life cycle where a change of this magnitude is just not possible. The harsh reality is that we’ve reached a point where the game is no longer a sustainable business. None of us wanted to see this point, but we’re extremely proud of the last eight years of the game and the community that has supported it.

“We have a lot planned between now and December and we want to make sure that from now until then, we send off Star Wars Galaxies in a style befitting such a great game. We’ll be right there in the game with everyone else, counting down until the end, making sure we connect with all the friends we’ve made over the past eight years. It may be bittersweet, it may feel like it’s happening before it should, but we have approximately five months remaining where we can all enjoy the game together. We sincerely hope the community will join us.”

A petition has been started to try and save the game, and so far it has 3756 signatures.

GamePro also noted in the post that the SWGEmu project is available. It’s a SWG emulator called Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, which recreates the Pre-CU, or Pre-Combat Upgrade version of the game before SOE changed it around.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    I really wanted it to succeed but it is just so below average that I think if it was not Branded Star Wars it would have folded by now.
    I would happily see it fail just to free up the licence.
  • huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

This really shows how thoughtless and immature the members of this forum can be.

Why would you want a game or company to fail? Do you think it's cool to want people to be laid off in this economy?

Do you want developers to ever make another Star Wars game? If so you better hope this makes money. No company is going to throw money at a failed IP.

Do you think that your opinion is more important than the many thousands who enjoy the game and want to keep playing it?

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    I voted no. I have never played it. I learned enough reading about it before it released that told me it wasn't for me. However if people are enjoying it I wouldn't want them to lose something they like. For all the people that played it and then acted all suprised by what the game was like all you had to do was a little research.
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    I voted yes becasue we need somebody who can take the IP and give us a better game than what we got. 

This.

But heck, I'd even take back what we had before SWTOR, if you know what I'm saying.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by huskie77

This really shows how thoughtless and immature the members of this forum can be.

Why would you want a game or company to fail? Do you think it's cool to want people to be laid off in this economy?

Do you want developers to ever make another Star Wars game? If so you better hope this makes money. No company is going to throw money at a failed IP.

Do you think that your opinion is more important than the many thousands who enjoy the game and want to keep playing it?

They don't care. They don't care that they break hearts of developers who worked hard for years to create this game. They don';t care that there are plenty of people who love the game and would be extremely unhappy if it would shut down.

They care only about themselves. The next SW will come and they will find something to hate in it as well.... they hated SWG too when it was running.

Oh well:) I have a hope that we who wish well all other people and games and companies and are happy with their success will prevail. 

Thanks to all who are actually thinking about others and who posted their support here. Kudos for you.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160
     Saw the topic and had forgotten people still care about this game. Did I want it to fail, hello no.  Did it fail to live up to its own hype and turn lots of people off, you bet.

The CS in the game made me long for the old days of EQ circa 1999 when it could take a week for a ticket to be dealt with. Bar none, the worse CS experience I have ever had with a game. 

My “choices” in the game really had no bearing on it aside from what relics I could use. The path although appearing to be dynamic was liner again no real bearing on the story with the choices you got to make in playing.  I have always seen MMO’s as being about building communities and character development this was fail at both.

Part of the preorder selling point was early access to lock in names and they crapped all over that, to me it was the final straw my toons are some place in limbo If I log in I will need to rename name but there is no fear of that happening I moved on and could care anymore.

To me it has already become galaxies. Because of what was done with it and have stopped playing it myself I already cast the two most important votes, my cash or lack of it and with my feet.

• PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104

If players like this game, more power to them but I think this game was created and ran by business suits, lacks anything truely fun and long-term appeal.   Despite this, game couldbe maybe had a moderate success had EA/BW listened to its customers and tried to fix the games problems post launch.  But with its F2P fiasco and charging for every micro add on (Its obvious all EA cares about is the Cash shop),  I will be surprised if this game lasts beyond 2013.

I hope after this mess, SWG will come back or a SWG2.  

If not, least The Repopulation will be something to help forget about SWTOR.

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Voted No.  I enjoy what the game offers but I really wish it would grow and change, the way an MMORPG should to make up for it's weaknesses.  Shutting it down would be silly, it's not the worst game I've ever played, not by a long shot.  I leave that to most games from the East, like Aion(;D) or Runes of Magic or a million other asian grindfests with no soul.
  • ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    No. I don't have any mental issues so no i don't want the game to fail even though i don't play it because i know there are many others who are enjoying it. I am mature enough to understand that.
  • BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Doesn't matter what we want, it has already failed.

• DocMoriartyDocMoriarty Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I voted 'yes'. Basically SWTOR is a good game. I don't like the space part though. The tunnel shooter is just LAME. Also missing some other good features from SWG which were the best implementations ever: player housing, walkable spaceships and fighters with cockpits. SWTOR is missing a lot of diversity and richness here. It's also more like a interactive video with repetitive elements, not a real open world game. Go home, do better.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    No I do not .I am playing it right now.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ownprocessownprocess Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I just wish they'd made KOTOR 3 and left the mmo's to the experts, rather than cutting their teeth on a AAA Star Wars MMO which has, sadly, flopped.
This discussion has been closed.