Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me?

2»

Comments

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I'm having fun with it. Not as much fun as I did with D2 but still finding it fun. Thats not to say that I have several issues with it. Luckily I'm enjoying a few classes. My barb is geared enough to complete a butcher farm run in about 10min and not skip any types of elites or rares. Yet as soon as I set foot in act2 I die to basic physical damage if somthing so much as sneezes on me. Its just bad design. To the 0.5% of players who are fine with skipping act2 or used OP skills to finish inferno good for you. Not how I want to play.

Anyway, like I said. I'm having fun even with all of the problems I have with the game. Its one you will either like or you wont. As to the OP. Its fine you dont like it. But dont compare it to MMO's. You said yourself you know they are two diffrent types of games and yet still compared them. Compare it to the likes of Torchlight 1 and 2 if you have played beta or Path of Exile.

• AryasAryas Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 337
    Originally posted by Banquetto

Originally posted by Aryas
    I don't want to start a flame war or any of that sh_t but I'm just overwhelmed by the amount of love this game is getting.

I'd be curious to know where you're seeing this overwhelming love?

This sites review score for the game for starters; that and a million rabid fanboys perhaps, lol!

I've thought hard about this and why even sitting here now I cannot be arsed to boot D3 up and I've come to the conclusion that:

MMOs are just so much better as a whole than this style of game (ARPG?); they have all the same elements, plus look and feel like they were coded in the 2000s, not the 1900s. THIS IS MY OPINION BTW (caps for emphasis)

D2 was such a good ARPG that I could overlook the fact that from a technical perspective, the game was quite basic - even years after it's release.  However, AND THIS IS THE BIGGIE, Diablo III just simply hasn't advanced the genre or the technical aspects of the game (e.g. graphics) enough that I can be bothered with it. For me, it felt 5 years out of date on the day of release!

I guess the best analogy is someone doing a fairly graphically enhanced version of a Mario game from the late 80s, but with less control options in some areas, more in others and the whole thing still rendered in 2D.

Anyway, I can see how someone might like this game and I'm a bit gutted that I can't, but for me it's just not doing it so not much more to say really.

Happy slaying,

Aryas

Playing: Ableton Live 8
    ~ ragequitcancelsubdeletegamesmashcomputerkillself ~

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Not all games are for everyone.

Even if it is the same game or a sequel, your taste can change.

Tetris is an awesome game that I played a huge amount back in the day. I don't play Tetris anymore though.

This doesn't mean Tetris suddenly became 'bad', just means my taste changed.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Did I hit my head real f_cuking hard recently or am I the only person out there that thinks this game is crap?

I don't want to start a flame war or any of that sh_t but I'm just overwhelmed by the amount of love this game is getting.

I'd actually call myself a Diablo 'fan-boy' to some extent and I was really stoked about this game but I find it so boring it hurts me to play it now - logged in about 10 times max since purchase.

Now some people are gonna go "well, if you don;t play it more you won't find out what's so good will you?". If I'm bored to death with it already there's lim chance of that TBH.

The MMOs I've had a go at in recent years have p_ssed all over this game for me. I know, I know they're different games, but shits shit, end of. I can honestly say that I would much rather play D&D, WAR, AoC and definitely RIFT over D3. As for GW2, that eats it alive and I've only spent a bit of time in the BWEs.

Please explain to me what the hell I am missing or is this just the video game equivalent of the average teen pop sensation, who's basically rough/mediocre but who the media hype machine portrays as the sexiest thing alive?

This game just screams 'king with no clothes' to me.

It's lost on me but I'm not mad about it or anything (it was only £25 at the end of the day), just massively confused by it's popularity.

Aryas

yea, you dont wanna start a flame war, suuuure, you'r just trollihng around with those matches eh?

i didnt actually see a single argument in your post, just you trolling around stating it is crtap - THAT kind sir, is what we call trolling.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Thane

Did I hit my head real f_cuking hard recently or am I the only person out there that thinks this game is crap?

I'd actually call myself a Diablo 'fan-boy' to some extent and I was really stoked about this game but I find it so boring it hurts me to play it now - logged in about 10 times max since purchase.

Now some people are gonna go "well, if you don;t play it more you won't find out what's so good will you?". If I'm bored to death with it already there's lim chance of that TBH.

The MMOs I've had a go at in recent years have p_ssed all over this game for me. I know, I know they're different games, but shits shit, end of. I can honestly say that I would much rather play D&D, WAR, AoC and definitely RIFT over D3. As for GW2, that eats it alive and I've only spent a bit of time in the BWEs.

Please explain to me what the hell I am missing or is this just the video game equivalent of the average teen pop sensation, who's basically rough/mediocre but who the media hype machine portrays as the sexiest thing alive?

It's lost on me but I'm not mad about it or anything (it was only £25 at the end of the day), just massively confused by it's popularity.

Aryas

yea, you dont wanna start a flame war, suuuure, you'r just trollihng around with those matches eh?

i didnt actually see a single argument in your post, just you trolling around stating it is crtap - THAT kind sir, is what we call trolling.

Yet the whole first page agrees with him.

Perhaps there just are people that think D3 is an overblown, mediocre entry.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• AryasAryas Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 337
    Originally posted by Thane

Aryas

I'm expressing my thoughts, feelings and opinions.

Don't like it? Think I'm trolling? Too bad.

Playing: Ableton Live 8
    ~ ragequitcancelsubdeletegamesmashcomputerkillself ~

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91

Aryas

Several points.

Diablo 3 is a single player ARPG with a coop mode, you can't compare it to mmos, that is just a completely different genre. That is like buying a puzzle game and complaining you don't get the same kind of kicks of adrenaline you get from playing some fps. 

Of course, "I'm not having fun" is a completely valid criticism, but you should be honest to yourself and decide whether it's you not enjoying the genre or the game being objectively bad. You claim to be a diablo fan boy, so you should have plenty of game time spent on Diablo:LoD to draw comparisons from. 

I consider myself an ARPG fan (have played everything there was since Diablo 2) and I don't personally find Diablo 3 all that enticing, mainly because I think the way the equipment/skill system is set up kills replayability. If it wasn't for that, the game would an undisputable genre king for me, just for the sheer amount of production value.

And to those saying ARPGs must be linear - just look at the Sacred series.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by GTwander

Yet the whole first page agrees with him.

Perhaps there just are people that think D3 is an overblown, mediocre entry.

uh yea right, because the first page agrees with him he did not troll? did you read ANY of the posts on this site lately? we love to troll, dont we?

doesnt mean we need ANOTHER of those posts again, arent 9000 enough? does it always have to be over 9000?

i mean seriuously, get over it, you dont like it, fine. then why still bother? play something else, go on with your live, this wont be the last time someone releases a game that you guys wont like.

GET USED TO IT.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

I never played the first and second Diablo, perhaps that has something to do with why I am enjoying the hell out of Diablo 3. I didn't have any expectations for the game, I wasn't anticipating it, it was completely off my radar until the open beta hit.

Once I got into it I was on board, pretty much all my buddies who played the first two games thought it was a big step back from Diablo 2, and stopped playing once they beat normal mode. There are some flaws with the game that are well known and I to have seen, the poor itemization from drops being my biggiest issue with it.

I can see where a lot of people are coming from in why they don't like it, but I haven't been able to stop playing since I bought it. Perhaps its because I dont know what I'm missing from the previous games enough for it to ruin the experience. I just reached hell hardcore last night with my witch doctor and I can't think of any game this year that I have been this hooked on since ME3.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Banquetto

I'd be curious to know where you're seeing this overwhelming love?

This sites review score for the game for starters; that and a million rabid fanboys perhaps, lol!

I've thought hard about this and why even sitting here now I cannot be arsed to boot D3 up and I've come to the conclusion that:

MMOs are just so much better as a whole than this style of game (ARPG?); they have all the same elements, plus look and feel like they were coded in the 2000s, not the 1900s. THIS IS MY OPINION BTW (caps for emphasis)

D2 was such a good ARPG that I could overlook the fact that from a technical perspective, the game was quite basic - even years after it's release.  However, AND THIS IS THE BIGGIE, Diablo III just simply hasn't advanced the genre or the technical aspects of the game (e.g. graphics) enough that I can be bothered with it. For me, it felt 5 years out of date on the day of release!

I guess the best analogy is someone doing a fairly graphically enhanced version of a Mario game from the late 80s, but with less control options in some areas, more in others and the whole thing still rendered in 2D.

Anyway, I can see how someone might like this game and I'm a bit gutted that I can't, but for me it's just not doing it so not much more to say really.

Happy slaying,

Aryas

+ 1 , I have to agree with him.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

D3 is a fun game but it falls way short of D2 imho, it really does not have near the replayabilty of d2 and the loot drops have been wretched at least for me..

The need to equip via the AH to move forward due to intentionally bad loot tables and poor itemization really puts a deep taint on the whole experience....

Playing GW2..

• KrasnijKrasnij Member Posts: 40
    You are so 100% right it stings my eyes when i read it, tha game itself is a design fail..no matter how good and smooth it plays
    Originally posted by simmihi

Someone else described ths in a few simple but perfect words:

Diablo III is a single player MMO.

Cookie cutter builds, fotm classes, loot is not interesting (aka auras on gear, chances on strike or when struck, percentages of stats like 5% more mana), the "better" gear is just bigger numbers, nothing special on it (you farm for 5 more Vit, 10 more int/dex/str, 5 more resists), the cap level is attainable in 1-2 days,, really unfair (not hard, just unfair and cheap) difficulty implementation, MMO-style (one screw up = wipe). In two words, MMO-Diablo-progression-style. It's just so much different from the former versions that actually, if you really liked and played the others for a long time, it's just a very very slim chance to be happy about what you have now.

LINEAR ITEMISATION IS BORING

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Nope its not only you im felling the same, worst money spent on my life (60euros), The game its very expensive, it needs always internet connection , but you dont need it to play for solo (only to get lag issues), same combat crap from L1 till L25 (where i stop to play), monsters A.I. bad as games from spectrum, i cant believe Blizzard made such a piece of crap game......
    On other hand we had Tlight II for 30 euros (half the price), and far enjoyable and better game.
    Shame on Blizzard for this piece of crap, and to not forget those nasty amateur issues on the first week.....