Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning to game but have a few questions

oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

After watching The Hobbit movie, It gave me that itch to dive into LOTRO...  I have a couple questions, though..  I had the Moria expansion but I can't find the CD's anymore.. Did one of the 3 expansions that came out after MoM include the entire game? Or were all 3 just mini digital Expacs? If one did include the entire game, which one was it?  My main character was only like level 25,, I made a few to explore the different areas and have fun at a slow pace, so I never really leveled that high.. Would it be wiser to just go through all the lower level content without subbing until I get to the newer higher level areas?

Thank you!

Rallithon Oakthornn
(Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by oakthornn

After watching The Hobbit movie, It gave me that itch to dive into LOTRO...  I have a couple questions, though..  I had the Moria expansion but I can't find the CD's anymore.. Did one of the 3 expansions that came out after MoM include the entire game? Or were all 3 just mini digital Expacs? If one did include the entire game, which one was it?  My main character was only like level 25,, I made a few to explore the different areas and have fun at a slow pace, so I never really leveled that high.. Would it be wiser to just go through all the lower level content without subbing until I get to the newer higher level areas?

Thank you!

My advice is this:

1.  Just DL the game from Turbine.  It will take a while, but no need to worry about your missing discs.

2.  The Freemium model turbine uses makes it extra annoying to level up past 30 or so as f2p.  Its not like EQ2 where all the content is unlocked, much of the content is locked.  Yes, you earn TPs in game but to earn enough to unlock quest zones means not using them on the insane amount of quality of life things like being able to use quick travel routes.  Your best bet is to play a day as freemium tomake sure you dig the game, then put down 30 bucks for a three month sub.

3.  Do not buy any of the other expnasions until you get there.  reason being is if you sub, youll be earning a point stipend as well as ones from your deeds. Since you are subbed you wont need to buy as many QoL and you can save points...and use those for expansions.

Game is great if you like middle earth and like questing (and LOTRO's quests are generally very well written), but be prepared to have the cash shop shoved down your throat around every corner, even as a sub (but the sub will get you mostly everything youd reasonably expect...if someone wants to spend money to warp back to a quest giver thats fine by me, I would just rather not be reminded of the option)

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863
    I still have the original LOTRO game,,, just the Moria expansion part is missing.. If I redownload the original game without Moria, then I won't be able to play as my Warden, right? This is why I'd rather buy the latest expansion that includes all the content and expacs from the entire game, much like other games huge expansions like EQ, WoW, EQ2, etc... But If every expac released were just small content updates that don't include the previous expansions, then I'm kind of screwed... I just don't want to have to buy Moria again If I could buy a later expac that includes moria in it... And I'd like to play my Warden..

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by oakthornn
    I still have the original LOTRO game,,, just the Moria expansion part is missing.. If I redownload the original game without Moria, then I won't be able to play as my Warden, right? This is why I'd rather buy the latest expansion that includes all the content and expacs from the entire game, much like other games huge expansions like EQ, WoW, EQ2, etc... But If every expac released were just small content updates that don't include the previous expansions, then I'm kind of screwed... I just don't want to have to buy Moria again If I could buy a later expac that includes moria in it... And I'd like to play my Warden..

You can log in with your existing account with any LOTRO install.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

All that matters is your account.  There's just one version of the game, it's your account that tells the game which parts you can access. So if you have Moria on your account, you can access Moria.

Anyway, you can play free up to the Lonelands, after that you have to buy quest packs or sub to get the quests in between the Lonelands and Moria (I think you might get Eregion, if you bought Moria early before F2P, I'm not sure)

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• rooeyrooey Member Posts: 11

I'm level 46 and FTP. I am currently in Angmar and have also got to Durins Door without paying a cent.

It does get tough as you get higher as the quest levels are always 2 or 3 above your current one. But other players help and it's all good.

I am a Guardian and have just got my first legendary weapon.