Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Wushu: My First Impressions

2»

Comments

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292

@Hopfrog items people had in this CB are **** or we could call it junk, 70+def items with +enchants and weapons 50+dmg with 8enchants are good items,

VIP isnt needed at all,

You dont do quests if its not storyline quests, You participe in all kinds of events like spying skill stealing etc go to mini instances (32) big instances 5 in chinese version 5th one is battliefield like in Hotk

@elocke You got problem with changing key settings  image

• HopfrogHopfrog Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by AresPL

You dont do quests if its not storyline quests, You participe in all kinds of events like spying skill stealing etc go to mini instances (32) big instances 5 in chinese version 5th one is battliefield like in Hotk

Well if questing is not needed at all in endgame then it would be a big plus for the game. Unfortunately you do have to go through a ton of quests in the beginning to acquire skills and fighting techniques and they are pretty bad imo. There are a ton of positives the game has going for it, but let's be fair and call the game out where it misses the mark.

I can see why people are falling in love with the game, there are a lot of positives and thing that MMOers have been clamoring for. It is absolutely worth checking out for anyone remotely interested in what they have heard, but it is still has a long way to go and yes... this is still just beta.

thats why I wrote if its not storyline quests;p in far future each of You will also do quests for 3rd inner skill each clan have own, some of them with cutscenes, then quests for lvl 6 7 skills then few months later quest for 4th clan style
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Nice write up Rextarr.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I was really suprised with this one. I couldn't believe how nice it looked and how smooth it played. The open pvp system they have going on is a real gem. Wushu filled the Wpvp gap that the titles this year decided to not implement.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    in future there will be server vs server imagine that
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

AoW: Probably the Most Flawed Game I've Ever Fallen in Love With

There has never been a perfect game (cliche right?).  This has never been more true of a game than Age of Wushu.  So why can't I get enough of it?  To be honest - when I'm not playing, all I can think about is getting home and logging in.

There are some games that you want to shout from the rooftops and say, "Hey! You need to play this!" But there are other games that you know aren't suited for everybody.  AoW falls in the latter category.  This game simply isn't for everyone, in fact there are several people I know that would be downright aggravated within the first ten minutes of playing.  As of this writing, the 'mass market' MMO crowd has pretty much left this game untouched, but I'm sure this will change as AoW continues to gain traction.  I truly hope that this doesn't fall prey to the MMO masses because  it just won't do well as a big hyped game.

The Scoop:

Age of Wushu (AoW) is a martial-arts based MMORPG set in ancient China.  There are no classes or levels, but you do eventually choose one of eight martial arts schools  that will be the foundation for your character.  You choose one of four histories that will guide your story, while the rest of your journey will be spent leveling up skills, crafting and helping out various NPC's in the world.  The game is an open PvP world with no true safe areas.  The biggest penalty for being killed is minor annoyance, the risk of constantly attacking players can eventually lead to a bounty and jail time.  When you log off, your character says in game as an NPC performing various jobs.  When you log back in, you can see what your character has done for you while you were away.  Any offline player may be kidnapped by other players and sold to NPC's for reward.  Again, this is more of a minor annoyance to the kidnapped, but puts the kidnapper at risk since he can be attacked by others without penalty to rescue the kidnapped player.  Crafting is player dependent since most ingredients have to be crafted by players and cannot be purchased at a vendor.  It's is a gorgeous game with graphics that are on par with most MMO's released after 2010.  The character movement is smooth and can actually be pretty fun sometimes, especially when you learn some of the flying moves.  It's like Aion's gliding on steroids.  The combat is very strategic with a rock, paper, scissors mechanic that has some very nice looking combo moves once you have them set up. There is so much more to this game, and my brief description really just hits the high points.

Things that will keep some players away:

Like I said before, the game isn't perfect and some might say it has some serious flaws.  The game is is extremely confusing at first - not only because it's so different but because the translations are so terrible, the guide can make things even more confusing.  You choose which skills to level but there isn't a reliable way to be sure that what you're leveling is best for your character.  Plus, some design choices are downright baffling.  For example, there are long cooldowns after leaving guilds or deleting your character.  As stated above, many of the translations make no sense whatsoever (it's in closed beta and they say they're working on it).  The cash shop and monetization model are also being criticized as being "Pay to Win".  While the cash shop seems harmless enough (only cosmetic items, mounts and in-game currency) the optional VIP monthly subscription is another story.  As a VIP there are a host of rewards than can allow a paying player faster progression in the game.  Now, that's not to say a free player can't mop up the floor with a VIP, it's likely that the free player took longer to progress.  I suspect any serious AoW player will get the VIP sub for the $9.99 per month. (And yes, I plan on paying the sub.)

My Take:

For a sandbox, pvp-centric mmo to get my attention is amazing enough - the fact that I'm actually enjoying myself has come to a total surprise to me.  I didn't expect to have as much fun as I'm having, and this is refreshing.  Perhaps I've spent too much time focusing on the big AAA releases and not enough times finding gems like AoW.

As I've stated, the game has some flaws but they just aren't bad enough to make me want to play something else right now.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to log in to make sure my character hasn't been abducted.

dont judge a game in its closed beta .secondly the nda is not lifted .why are you even talking about the game ? thirdly everyone liked allods online until the cash shop came . 

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 375

There was no NDA for closed beta.  This has been stated by a community moderator on Snails AoW forums.

Second, judging normally wouldn't be done until release, but people are still allowed to judge in closed beta if it's done well enough.

I am in chiense version from almost 6 months each day, there isnt any other game that will give You so many features, as for cash shop mounts/fashion items that increase exp for crafting nothing more, soemtimes they do sales with exp pills and stuffs like this, but nothing that will make You stronger than non paying person

one of patches in chinese version made it almost imposible to gather materials for crafting, in US version they claim they wont follow this but we will see

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Made some screenshots during my long voyage to Loyan:

http://forums.goha.ru/showpost.php?p=21744500&postcount=87

The world is really beautiful

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

thanks for the write up!!

Are the translations just poorly done (incorrect grammar and word usage)

Or is it your typical engrish?

• kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103

Tank you to the OP for writing that all out. As I said in another thread, I just discovered this game today, and I am just sort of devouring all the information I can find on it. It sounds and looks like such a womderful game. I am excited for the 20th to get a chance to try it.

The OP stated that possibly he has spent too much time watching AAA titles. I myself have recently come to the conclusion that I just don't care about thempark games anymore. Guild Wars 2, to me anyways, is as dumbed down/fast food type MMORPG as a game can get. I actually felt ripped off for even trying GW2. I'm so tired of all the themepark games, and the only Sandbox games I could think of were EQnext (way out in the future, but have huge interest) & DarkFall Unholy Wars which is so strongly PvP based I just don't know... I'm going to try it, but I don't know...  Then I found this game... Completly amazed me that I knew nothing about it. I've tried other smaller market MMORPGs in the past but I have yet to find one that is really any good as far as I am concerned. This one looks different... I love the theme, I love the mechanics I am aware of... Can't wait to see you all in game!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by kingotnw

Tank you to the OP for writing that all out. As I said in another thread, I just discovered this game today, and I am just sort of devouring all the information I can find on it. It sounds and looks like such a womderful game. I am excited for the 20th to get a chance to try it.

The OP stated that possibly he has spent too much time watching AAA titles. I myself have recently come to the conclusion that I just don't care about thempark games anymore. Guild Wars 2, to me anyways, is as dumbed down/fast food type MMORPG as a game can get. I actually felt ripped off for even trying GW2. I'm so tired of all the themepark games, and the only Sandbox games I could think of were EQnext (way out in the future, but have huge interest) & DarkFall Unholy Wars which is so strongly PvP based I just don't know... I'm going to try it, but I don't know...  Then I found this game... Completly amazed me that I knew nothing about it. I've tried other smaller market MMORPGs in the past but I have yet to find one that is really any good as far as I am concerned. This one looks different... I love the theme, I love the mechanics I am aware of... Can't wait to see you all in game!

From what I here AoW of wushu is the #1 mmorpg in china. This is one of those that's so refreshing it had to make the crossover to the west.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"