Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Eve Hopefuls PLS READ

PhichiPhichi Member Posts: 4

I've been playing MMO's for a long time and i've played alot, this game can be extremely in depth or extremely simple. It is what you make it. I started MMO's with UO first day of release then I played eve a little after it first came out and loved it, but i needed a break so I played CoH, and i loved that too, but then i got bored and went back to eve and i love it all over again. You can go from WoW or CoH or whatever to Eve you just gotta do a little research first.

A. ACTUALLY PAY ATTENTION IN THE TUTORIAL I can’t stress this enough. Most people just breeze through it and don’t listen to it, then get all frustrated later. I don’t expect anyone to memorize everything in the tutorial, I just feel that you need to really read and listen to what is being taught and it will make your beginnings in Eve soooooo much easier.

B. Read the stickied threads on this forum.
http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=channel&channelID=3509

C. Ask in the help channel if you don't see somthing in the forum you need help with.

D. Join a Corp ASAP. To do this, go to the recruitment channel and read some of the adverts that pop up every once in awhile from different corps, or go to this thread.
http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=channel&channelID=109585

E. If you want to get into PVP ASAP I would recommend joining a training corp. There are quite a few around, NBSI Academy is the first that comes to mind. Once again read the recruitment threads.

Contrary to popular belief, you DO NOT need 6 months of experience to play PVP. There is a learning curve so be patient... the biggest ship rarely wins. Its all about tactics, and you can only learn that by doing it or flying with experienced pilots. PvP wise you can be in a tackler frig in a couple days, and every gate camp/pirate team/pvp corp needs alot of tacklers. This game does require some amount of maturity though, and it can be hard on you. But with greater risk comes greater reward. If you like to have everything handed to you and to know everything in the first few days then this isn't the game for you. I learn somthing new every day, and i've been playing for about a year overall. Also for maximum enjoyment in the early stages, I would not recommend training all learning skills to 5 right off the bat…. It is good for the long term, but extremely boring. What I like to do is train fun skills (i.e. skills that make things go BOOM) while I’m playing, then when I go to log off for the night or I know I won’t be back for any length of time I train utility skills like learning. This way you have fun, and you will get your learning skills eventually.

PVP in this game is more hardcore than any other game imo... it comes down to who's smarter and better prepared for that particular place and time, and you're dealing with real loss, rather than other games where you just gotta work off a small penalty by doing what you would have been doing anyways.

Now when it comes to long boring travel, use Insta Bookmarks (its all in the forums). Alot of times whole sets are supplied by your corp or you can make them yourself. And once you get into low sec, traveling takes on a whole new definition of exciting. A pirate gate camp can be waiting around every corner, and if you're sharp there are alot of ways to avoid/escape/run them.

As for grinding, you don’t really have to grind to make it in this game. Its so open ended its not even funny. One way to make good money is to run missions up to lvl 3, after you hit lvl 3 it becomes challenging and prosperous. (I agree that lvl 1 & 2 missions are boring but there are ways to get to lvl 3 faster, look in the forums) I’m a PVP player, but its usually a money losing venture, so to keep my bank account up I run missions for awhile. PVP for fun, Missions (although still fun) for isk. If you don’t like the real time skill lvling and you want to work your way up faster, then take the isk that you made from missions/mining/trade/complexes etc. and buy some implants. These will make your skills train even faster There you just effectively worked your skills up higher than the other guy faster by working on your character.

When it comes down to it though, Eve really isn't for everyone (thank god). Luckily the griefers, exploiters, and small minded of the world will not have the attention span for this game, which is why the community is so great. It all comes down to a philosophy that applies to some people in this world, many of whom will never accomplish anything of substance in life. "If somthing is hard to do, its not worth doing."
::::28::

Comments

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Generally a few good hints, though I disagree with the Learning skills part with the whole of my heart. Rather learn to fly your frigate first coupled with a few skills for needed modules. Learning skills are mainly needed when you train a lot of skills to level 4 or start to do the first few to 5. Training then and when a few levels in those you need (maybe to 2 or 3) till you can fly cruisers is more than enough. You won't fall back very much, if at all, and you can say that you had fun and you could do something in the game. Choosing the right attributes for the character you want is way more important, tbh.

Though, before seriously starting to train battleship skills and/or advanced skills I'd definitely recommend in training the Learning skills and their Improved versions first (at least for those attribute you need most, usually Willpower, Perception and Memory).

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• Red-EyeRed-Eye Member Posts: 10

Good post with nice info.

As Im quite new and learning the game I find corporations abit harder to join than you describe. Most corps have a minimum skill point requirement. But everyone is really helpful, many of those corps I have been talking to have offered to answer any question I might have in the game and have added me to their friends list (another name in EVE but cant remember).

Btw, I agree about the greatness of EVE. It's so open ended with a rediculus amount of career choices.

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

I have to second the Learning thing.  I was told to do the Learning skills two ways.  All at once (which I didn't like) and as a good rule of thumb, to keep the attributes I needed for a skill about 1 to two levels below the skill I'm training.  i.e. I want to train Gunnery to Level 4, I would have my willpower and perception to at least Level 2, preferrably Level 3.  I've played for a month, and I just now trained my Memory to Level 5, and later today I'm going to go ahead and bump the advanced skill, (which is expensive, around 4.5 mil) to Level 3, and then grind my Intel skill to 5. 

Overall I think it's important to realize that your Learning skills help you train faster, and let the player train them how they see fit, some like to do it all at once, some dont.  The awareness is what's important.

So here's the warning LEARNING SKILLS ARE IMPORTANT TO YOUR TRAINING TIMES. image

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• PhichiPhichi Member Posts: 4

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying learning skills aren't important. Just that you don't have to train them all at once straight through to lvl 5 asap like alot of people will tell you. Most people will die of boredom before they get through that long of a train with nothing else to play with or look forward to. Go ahead and train spatial awareness to lvl 3, then between that and your next learning skill maybe train for an mwd or heavy missiles... anything that will increase your enjoyment while the next learning skill trains. What checkthis500 said is entirely true. Just keep them in mind.

As for joining corps, when i get off work i'll get you some names for corps that should accept you. Most however require that you be done with your trial account and be paying. It gets expensive to have new members join, get them outfitted, then have them quit after 14 days, not to mention frustrating.

• PhichiPhichi Member Posts: 4

Heres a few you can try.

Eve University (self explanatory)
    http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=114079

RONA Midgard Academy (heard they are very good)
    http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=234111

Order of the Arrow (my old corp, i've heard they are recruiting)
    http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=237012

Chicago Mobsters (Never heard of em, but it looks interesting)
    http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=238672

NBSI Academy (Not Blue Shoot It - says it all doesn't it)
    http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=210664

M Corp Academy
    http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=233798

The Taining corp (No that is not a typo... it is a well known fact that Stain Alliance members can't spell ::::40:: )
    http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=236774

Anyways give those a whirl. If anybody knows of any others that might be good feel free to post some info.

• SevarusSevarus Member Posts: 65

Please keep in mind if you are on the 14 day trial there are a LOT of corporations that won't have you. For every 14 day-er that sticks, you lose 2-5 that join, and then forever disappear. The bigger (more powerful) corporations generally frown on the 'just testing' types. Its nothing personal, but keep it in mind.

The BEST places to go as a noob/14 dayer/etc., are the training corporations such as EVE University. The links above point to some good places. These corporations are designed with taking the new pilot and showing the "way".

Cya in space!

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

IMO only train the Learning skills to 3 or so then get cruisers and decent combat skills. Then start training learning up to advanced levels once you have a few skills at 4. It also really helps if you choose your 'education' at character creation to max your frigate skills as much as is possible. It's possible, at least for Caldari, to get Frigates up to 4 using the proper choices of university/education.

You won't fall back much at all and you'll have a LOT more fun than waiting around to hit 5 in your learning skills (which takes weeks).

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002

Originally posted by Sevarus
    Please keep in mind if you are on the 14 day trial there are a LOT of corporations that won't have you. For every 14 day-er that sticks, you lose 2-5 that join, and then forever disappear. The bigger (more powerful) corporations generally frown on the 'just testing' types. Its nothing personal, but keep it in mind.The BEST places to go as a noob/14 dayer/etc., are the training corporations such as EVE University. The links above point to some good places. These corporations are designed with taking the new pilot and showing the "way".Cya in space!

will they just not take anyone new? because i just bought a cd key online. i might be a n00b, but im not just another fr00b.

I got into a good corp right after my 14day trial let up.  I had talked to the corp a lot a couple days prior to me buying the first month, just because I personally would hate to leave them like that.  Of course I'm also the type that refuses handouts. 

They're an awesome corp too.  Part of a big alliance, and very active, and they had no quams with me joining and being new.  There are corps that are wary about new people, but just check out the recruitment channel.  There are still many many others that will take in new people.  If you're looking to make an impact on the game, I'd suggest joining a corp that is in an alliance, or is looking towards joining one.  Alliances are a lot of fun, and definitely add a new dynamic to the game.

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by Bissrok
    Originally posted by Sevarus
    Please keep in mind if you are on the 14 day trial there are a LOT of corporations that won't have you. For every 14 day-er that sticks, you lose 2-5 that join, and then forever disappear. The bigger (more powerful) corporations generally frown on the 'just testing' types. Its nothing personal, but keep it in mind.The BEST places to go as a noob/14 dayer/etc., are the training corporations such as EVE University. The links above point to some good places. These corporations are designed with taking the new pilot and showing the "way".Cya in space!

will they just not take anyone new? because i just bought a cd key online. i might be a n00b, but im not just another fr00b.

There is no way to see if a player bought a key right away (like me) or if he is in the first days of his/her 14 day trial. You could say key, but have only trial. So most corporations put in a flat skill point requirement, since a certain amount tells them that you must have played the game for longer than 2 weeks. Usually that threshold is either one or two million SP.
    Don't hold that against them. They just want to make sure you mean it by joining and are not just a passerby - infact a lot of the more "serious" corps have quite throughout interviews, before they consider taking you, but its all the more rewarding if you get in.

Joining EVE-University is one possibility, but also a post in the recruitment thread in the EVE Forums could help. Just keep in mind that you will be judged not only what you write but also how. So try to avoid l337 speech and give as much info about you as possible (former mmo experience, time zone, what you want in EVE (as far as you know), etc. ).

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

1 or 2 mil skill points?  That seems high to me, of course I set up my character a bit broader than I had hoped, but I'm only up to around 700k and I've played for 4 weeks, and haven't missed more than maybe an hour of skill training. 

Glad I didn't try to join that corp. :-p 

• SevarusSevarus Member Posts: 65

Originally posted by checkthis500
    1 or 2 mil skill points? That seems high to me, of course I set up my character a bit broader than I had hoped, but I'm only up to around 700k and I've played for 4 weeks, and haven't missed more than maybe an hour of skill training.
    Glad I didn't try to join that corp. :-p

Some corporations in EVE are not set up to 'train'. They are higher end operations with a membership of experienced players, and their requirements are stiffer to ensure that the new member can slot in with a minimum of fuss. Its still nothing personal, just the corp structure.

Another BIG reason for minimum skill points and such though is the alt-spy syndrome. A lot of corps have been burned by someone from the 'other-side' creating a new alt, joining them, spying and then robbing or giving critical intel away to the enemy.

By having more than x-amount of skill points as well as a clean corp history with a born on date that is greater than the 14 day period, these corporations are more at ease because it is more LIKELY (not always) that the new member is genuine, and not a plant.

EVE corporations have suffered serious damage and set backs by not being cautious during recruiting, and the paranoia in this case is fairly justified.

That all said there are MANY corps who will take noobs/young-uns under wing and train them. You just have to find/contact engage them.

• ArcticblueArcticblue Member Posts: 270

I agree with with those who say that train learningskills ... but not completly either, you only should train learningskills to lvl 3 to begin with... then go for skills you need to do what you do.

When people say that you got to train learningskills I suspect that what they really mean is "Train learningskills to lvl 3 to begin with".. because that makes sence... only take you less than a week to get that, any more lvl's and you waste alot of time to stuff you need.

Actually someone wrote a guide saying all you should do is train learning skills until you have intel, mem, learning, perception, and willpower up to adv. lvl 3, and they have the logical and statistical reasoning.  Yes it does shorten everything a great deal, but I think until you really get into the game that's just too much time.

I have found though that want you get involved in the game, and you start treating it like a world, and you realize that your skills only have part to do with how good you are, you start paying less attention to skills and more attention to your actual actions.  This to me is where the game truly differs among the masses.

• CerrianCerrian Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by checkthis500
    Actually someone wrote a guide saying all you should do is train learning skills until you have intel, mem, learning, perception, and willpower up to adv. lvl 3, and they have the logical and statistical reasoning. Yes it does shorten everything a great deal, but I think until you really get into the game that's just too much time.

That is actually the worst thing you could do if you are new to the game. It basicly locks you into a noob role for 2-3 months while the 5 learning skills are trained to lvl 5, and the 5 adv learning skills are trained to lvl 3. Going this route is a great way to become bored with the game and ruin your experience.

IMO, EVE lost a lot of new players due to this philosophy and is still struggling to eradicate this misconception and retain the new players who went this way.

I agree that it's horrible advice, which is why I say just be aware of the learning skills, you dont have to train them all at once, but if you would like that extra boost in skill training time, they're there to help with that.  I've played for a little over a month and I'm just now getting my adv. learning skills.  which I train while I'm logged out.  while I'm logged in I'll train my shorter ones.  It's just a matter of common sense really. 

I think overall noobs should train what they like, and concentrate more on what they're "doing" rather than what skills they have. 

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    Good info. I'm really starting to like EVE. Totally different from other games. Community seems super.
  • grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by Phichi
    I've been playing MMO's for a long time and i've played alot, this game can be

Good games dont need defending. Eve is totally un-engaging and rides its afk player base of people amused by its graphics.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• CerrianCerrian Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by grimboj
    Originally posted by Phichi
    I've been playing MMO's for a long time and i've played alot, this game can be

Good games dont need defending. Eve is totally un-engaging and rides its afk player base of people amused by its graphics.

Dead wrong. There are a number of games that have required defending due to ignorance, mis-information, sterotypes, and hype from the competition. Off the top of my head are:

The Longest Journey
    Natural Selection
    Starshatter
    Vagrant Story
    and of course EVE.

The same concept applies to movies.