Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Words you wish MMO players would stop using

grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

What are the words that drive you crazy and why?

I guess my entry would be:

Hyperbole: Way too overused and usually incorrectly. It doesn't make you sound more intelligent.  Nothing says, "I'm in my first year at community college and I just learned a new word" like the term hyperbole.

Optional PvP = No PvP

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Pay2win
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    "MMO"

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Brb , lol, biobrk, pwn, gank, rape , afk, op. and any other stupid abbrivation that I can care less to remember at this time.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Fun

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Pro.
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    LOL
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    plox
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    rediculous
  • patsfan32patsfan32 Member Posts: 31
    immersion and realism...there is nothing wrong with those 2 things as I would love to have them in a game, however people overuse those 2 words to complain about EVERYTHING
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by defector1968
    LOL

League of Legends? image

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230
    Hardcore, carebear, fanboi, noobie these four words have cuased so much trouble, hatred and strife for players.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

Hyperbole: Way too overused and usually incorrectly. It doesn't make you sound more intelligent.  Nothing says, "I'm in my first year at community college and I just learned a new word" like the term hyperbole.

Do you have an alternative to the word "hyperbole?"  The word is fine.  Hearing people try and pronounce it is kind of funny though.

You make me like charity

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    pro, gank, p0wn, dps, elite
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Do you have an alternative to the word "hyperbole?"  The word is fine.  Hearing people try and pronounce it is kind of funny though.

Exaggerate.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi
    Fun

Yes please! We're all on a website for video games for fuck's sake. It goes without saying that they are made to enjoy and have fun in.

Epic: holy crap how this one hasn't run it's course is beyond me.

Fail: here's one I see on the forums many, many times a day. Get some new material for the love of god.

Rose tinted anything: there is nothing clever or interesting about being the half billionth person to use this term.

One that I am thrilled to see almost extinct is the lovely cliche "at the end of the day...": just use "ummmmm". It has the exact same usage and it's much quicker to type.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Exaggerate.

That word lacks the implied sarcasm or rhetoric that hyperbole conveys.  It would be like using the word fruit when you are talking about a banana.  Correct, but not accurate.

You make me like charity

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Derp

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• tinoberserktinoberserk Member UncommonPosts: 73

Vet. Like they survived a tour of duty or something (or maybe i'm wrong and they're reffering to a healer class that takes care of sick animals)

Also the phrases starting with 'i was an alpha tester for.......'  bother me for some reason. I was an alpha tester for chess but you don't see me bragging about it. 

• soulmirrorsoulmirror Member UncommonPosts: 124
    " insert MMO here "  Killer.  Nothing for senseless that branding a game an XXX killer, you play a game because you want to play it or enjoy it, not because it crushes the competition.
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    chuck norris
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Exaggerate.

Great, not enough that MMO's are dumbed down to the lowest possible level these days, now you want to take our language there too. image

BTW, your use of hyperbole in your examples is quite good.  So is the irony of your OP.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

People now jump on me for calling my character a "toon". But, that's what I learned to call them from my guildies in SWG.

But...the term that I hate is "plox"

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    rouge
    Originally posted by bigsmiff

People now jump on me for calling my character a "toon". But, that's what I learned to call them from my guildies in SWG.

But...the term that I hate is "plox"

I have always hated the term "toon."  Feels like I'm playing the game with a bunch of 11 year olds who just rode got back from the arcade to eat a balogne sandwich their mom made...

You make me like charity

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Not only MMO players use it but its very annoying to hear from news anchors and on espn its got to be the most over used word today...EPIC