Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feature List for the curious

endersadvocendersadvoc Member Posts: 31
From my ~10hrs playing the beta here are some of the features i have come across:

Skills are initially dictated by your choice of martial arts school, each school has abilities corresponding to 3 weapon sets (e.g unarmed, staff, sword, dart, claw).

There are no levels, each ability can be leveled independently in one of 3 ways, the most common is time based advancement. you can also pay in game currency or do a group DDR style event to train.

Most gear is player crafted. Everyone can learn harvesting skills (fishing, hunting, woodcutting, farming, etc) and one crafting skill. Each crafting skill has a wow-style normal mode and a mini-game exceptional mode that can give bonuses or reduce material costs (for cooking you play bejeweled). 

The game is highly pvp centric and guild focused. To learn skills from other schools, you must participate in raids on other school facilities to steal/burn their library of skill books. There are daily school wars between the various schools. Guilds can claim halls near major towns similar to Lineage 2. If a guild owns the majority of halls in a region they can set a tax rate. Rival guilds can challenge for ownership rights by burning down your hall. 

PKing is fully allowed, with the caveat that if you earn a poor reputation you will be bountied and hunted by other players who can kill/send you to prison. 

In addition to the crafting abilities, there are "life skills" that provide group buffs and xp. They are leveled through mini games i believe. The skills are music (like guitar hero i think), caligraphy and painting (draw shit), and chess (more like go). 

The world is pretty huge and they claim to have 20k quests. The questing is a hybrid of themepark/sandbox. Storyline/school quests are linear but world quests ("tasks") are just spread out all over to do whenever. 

Player characters persist in the game world while offline. During this time they continue to level/earn xp/earn gold through working for the npcs or busking. Also, you can be kidnapped by other players while logged out. This flags the other player as KOS by other players as they try to drag you in a sack towards an npc paying for the human traffic. The kidnap doesnt really effect you once you log back in, you just will be in a different location. This happens anyway since you go about doing tasks for the npcs. 

Combat is a mix of tab targeting with a rock paper scissors style system in which characters can either block, normal attack, or feint. where block > normal attack > feint > block. There are a variety of flying skills like triple jumping, running up walls, running on water etc.

As you can see this a pretty unique game, albeit one that i feel has a lot of potential. Hell, when you log in, a dialog box makes you accept the fact that it is open pvp and if you dont accept it logs you out. 

The major drawback i have found is the complexity of the game combined with a rather poor translation can make it very difficult to know what is going on. This can largely be averted by learning through doing, so it doesnt really detract from the fun all that much.

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Excellent summary.  I've spent my evening working on my begging skill and finally learning how to farm some mats so I have something to eat.

By the way, if you don't eat from time to time, you start to take damage down to 75% of your health.  You can't just find a vendor that sells food - you must either purchase food from other players, or do what I did - and that's learn farming (where you plant seeds in the ground and wait for them to grow thorugh stages in which you may need to use special items to get rid of pests or weeds) and then harvest them.  I also learned the chef skill to make the rice to eat (had to pick the recipe and one ingredient from the trainer).  

The fun is sometimes in the frustration that the game really doesn't hold your hand so you need other players that can help you find what you need.  I spent an hour trying to figure out how to farm/cook so I could recover health.  I had several players offer to give me food for free, but I wanted to figure it out on my own.  Once I did, it was very rewarding.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    This game does look interesting. Is there any form of healers in the game? My partner is only interested in playing healers and doesnt really like games without them.
  • AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
    emei can heal, earleir scholars could to but they nerfed them and changed their skill to selfheal as not many were playing emei, I suggest to chose by weapon/skills as You can steal skills from other clans so can use weapon he/she like and still be able to heal