Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen's Chris Roberts: "I'm confident now that we'll be able to compete with any AAA game out

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

From source article & interview with Chris Roberts and Crytek's Carl Jones:

13 Dec 2012

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-12-13-star-citizen-well-compete-with-any-aaa-game-out-there

The difficulty is in knowing where the cutting edge will be when Star Citizen is officially launched in 2014. Roberts has enough money to realise virtually every aspect of his original design document - "it's a little more complicated than doing an old-school graphic adventure" - but that amount was pledged on the basis of some truly impressive real-time, in-engine footage. Needless to say, leading PC hardware in two years time will be capable of much more, but Roberts is certain he can honour the strong first impression created by the trailer - and then some.

[Chris Roberts] "I'm confident now that we'll be able to compete with any AAA game out there,” he says. “I can't do what I did with Freelancer, or what id did with Rage, and take five years to release it. At that point, the moment in time will be gone. But in two years, it will be pretty great.

Well I'm excited.  At least they aren't trying to kill WoW or something like everyone other game was trying to do (and stating) for the longest time.  Still I hope these promises don't fade into all those other famous last words from games long dead or currently dying ...

2 years is a long time though :/

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Looks cool, but looks like a pipe dream to me that will fail before it gets off the ground due to funding issues. I'll still watch it though.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ReckerRecker Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by Tiller
    Looks cool, but looks like a pipe dream to me that will fail before it gets off the ground due to funding issues. I'll still watch it though.

7.5 million already banked?

Whats in your pipe because you need to stop smoking it. A small developer can make a comparable game with less funding just not as visually highgrade. With this developer skills and background its not a dream but a reality.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    It's really just marketing speak and doesn't mean much. I'm definately rooting for them to be able to deliver what they plan, there just isn't anything out there like it that fans of the type haven't already played to death for years.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by Recker

7.5 million already banked?

Whats in your pipe because you need to stop smoking it. A small developer can make a comparable game with less funding just not as visually highgrade. With this developer skills and background its not a dream but a reality.

IDK, could be my years of gaming and watching things like this fail that makes me expect this to be another one of those. I'll remain doubtful until I see it launch with a playerbase who is happy. To be honest 7.5 mill is nothing, that's barely indie standards.

Why do you care whether I stay reserved in my optimism over this? It’s not your pockets I refuse to line with gold for your pipe dream is it? I’m no sucker, I’ll watch it and let you guys pay for potential disappointment.  

If it launches and doesn’t suck or fail to deliver what Is promised I’ll be right there happily playing with the rest of you.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

negativity is totally cool these days!

btw, world is ending in 3 days, hope you are prepared

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Don't get too caught up on it. They will say they will build a virtual replica of the univerese if it gets them funding. Just wait 2(or more) years when they are actually close to having something more realistic.