Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everyone should play WoW

I regret WoW not being my first MMO. I feel that WoW has made a whole generation of gamers more savvy about how they spend their money on particularly P2P MMOs. I got burned hard on The Secret World as my first. I would not have subbed a single month in The Secret World if I knew how many features WoW had. 

From playing WoW, gamers have come to expect from their MMOs:

• Deep and varied classes and  having many ways to play the game.
  • Being able to level through PvP, through instances via dungeon finder and,even via traditional questing being able to pick a different side and many different zones to level in.
  • Achievements, collecting pets and mounts, plenty of appearance customization. Real ways to define your character where your personalized avatar shows up alongside your forum name and you can even order a FigurePrint mould of your toon.
  • Where the level of mod support is so great that you can completely change how the game looks and feels via addons and macros.
  • A smooth lag-free loading-free gaming experience.
  • A massive world to lose oneself in which everything seems possible: where one moment you're riding the carousel in Darkmoon Faire as a dwarf rides past on a reindeer, and the next you're participating in a full-scale battle between undead and a knightly order (in the Death Knight opening sequence).

True, not all those features were in the game at the beginning. But that's what make WoW great and a true MMO. It keeps on evolving and adapting, growing with each expansion and listening to the community to add new features. Because that's what makes a MMO a living breathing world - its community ; the players - all 10 million of them.

Everyone should play WoW at least once, to learn what to expect from a top-tier MMO. If they use WoW as a stepping stone to other MMOs and find one they like then my congratulations - it must be a great game indeed and I hope you tell what you found to the world.

Comments

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I played wow for 2 yrs, and after finaly stop playing it Ill never ever go back to it ever again becouse even though it is addictive to play, There are actully mmo's out there that are way better and actully free.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I did for 3-4 years since BC. It is a great game. However, no matter how great a game is, eventually it will get old and boring. I  just cancelled my WOW sub and probably will not be back.

There are plenty of other good games (note .. games, not just MMOs) out there.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

I spent a week playing WoW! Well, technically, five days.   I found the world building to be poor, the writing to be haphazard, the community lackluster , the humor not to my taste, and the fantasy elements pedestrian.   From playing other games that tend to be called WoW-clones I've found I don't like the end game elements.  

So, I might agree with you that people should play WoW, but mostly to see how it's done, if it's done badly.  

I think WoW's success was a one time affair, and it's big now because it's big.  Tastes differ, so some (like yourself) may see it as the best thing since sliced bread. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    I only played WoW for a month, too.  but it was enough to see why its been so successful.  Most "WoW clones" don't come anywhere near it in scale nor scope.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    If I ever hear someone is wanting to play MMOs for the first time I suggest either WoW or GW2. I played WoW for years and really wish I could continue the formula, it just gets old.
  • uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128
    Originally posted by banzai014

I regret WoW not being my first MMO. I feel that WoW has made a whole generation of gamers more savvy about how they spend their money on particularly P2P MMOs. I got burned hard on The Secret World as my first.

Secret World being your first, with your comments on seasonal mounts I can only assume WoW being your second... that really is all I need to say on the matter.

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

Varied classes and many ways to play the game... spilled my coffee...

You should not be sad that TSW was your first mmo, if anything you should be sad that you have not played a mmo that had truly varied ways to play the game, had a 1 minute maintenance, had really plenty appearance customization, didnt drop to single digit fps when there were 20 players behind the wall you look at and a world that you could really get lost which was not just a nice background to see from the city while waiting for the lfxyz popup.

Not saying that many of them featured more than one of those, or that even some feature the level of refinement of wow, but some perspective is always positive.

Flame on!

:)

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Banaghran

This is true though.

Originally posted by strangiato2112

This is true though.

What is?

Flame on!

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    We should all go old school and play pong :P
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    I did play wow, for 6 years or so, then I got bored and stopped.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

This is true though.

What is?

Flame on!

Well for one, of the games that try to balance PvP and PvE it does it the best.  Yes, the PvP is subpar compared to pure PvP games, but its the best battleground-style PvP on the market, and it also has the arena PvP.  It is the only game that has raiding for super-casuals, it also has regular raiding and hardcore raiding.  You can do the daily thing if you really want, or you can do the dungeon grind thing if you want, or you can just play pokemon all day (which is way more fleshed out than anyone would have expected).  The low level dungeons have short queues unlike any other game as lots of people like to level alts through them, and the same as true for battlegrounds.

And as for the classes, there are basically 28 different classes.  While a game like Rift may have more ways to build an ability set, half of its classes are reliant on the same mechanic (combo points), WoW has a wide assortment of mechanics, and no two secs play the same. Its far from the best on the market, but its above average.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I think everyone on this forum has played or tried WOW to some degee so you're not really telling anyone much they don't already know.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Played for over 7 years...  the game is really long in the tooth for me.  Now, I resub every 4 to 6 months and end up only playing for a few days.  It was such a fun game, but it's time has definitely passed.  I just wish someone else would release something as engrossing as it was.

You make me like charity

• IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116
    I played the open beta ... didnt like the quest aspect. Then tried it again a few months ago, still endless questing which turned me off. 
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Played WoW 6+ years. Over the time I played there was much I enjoyed, but I am never going back to the game. The last expansion with the massive change (yet again) to the talent trees was enough to finally nail that last nail in the coffin. 

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

I actually played WoW for like maybe 2 months when it first came out. I went to WoW after playing FFXI since its realease. So basically i didn't like soloing everything in WoW, i tried being a healer role in it, but didn't change nothing. I went from supporting groups while leveling, to basically solo questing as i leveled, and didn't like it one bit.

Maybe if i actually stayed with it back then it mituve got interesting at higher level, but now i'll never know.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    WoW was the longest run I had with a mmorpg at 6 years with UO coming in at a close second with 5. And no I'm not ashame to say it was some of my best mmorpg years I had. Never played UO with so many close friends and family. It got up to 10+ at once at one time.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Glad you found your game, should provide you with many years of entertainment.

I played for a few years back in 2004-2006, but IMO you missed the golden age of MMORPG's that preceeded it, their like will not likely be seen soon again.

Sometimes it's good not to know what you missed.....image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    I played since closed US beta up to Cataclysm. Thx, but I'll pass, enuff WoW for me

This is true though.

What is?

Flame on!

Well for one, of the games that try to balance PvP and PvE it does it the best.  Yes, the PvP is subpar compared to pure PvP games, but its the best battleground-style PvP on the market, and it also has the arena PvP.  It is the only game that has raiding for super-casuals, it also has regular raiding and hardcore raiding.  You can do the daily thing if you really want, or you can do the dungeon grind thing if you want, or you can just play pokemon all day (which is way more fleshed out than anyone would have expected).  The low level dungeons have short queues unlike any other game as lots of people like to level alts through them, and the same as true for battlegrounds.

And as for the classes, there are basically 28 different classes.  While a game like Rift may have more ways to build an ability set, half of its classes are reliant on the same mechanic (combo points), WoW has a wide assortment of mechanics, and no two secs play the same. Its far from the best on the market, but its above average.

Note that we are talking about variability, yet you exclusively mention bgs (and arena) and dungeons (and raids). At which anvil do i craft my tier set?

Note that while there maybe are 28 skillsets, all of them are expected to choose from 3 playstyles (tank, healer, dps) AND are expected to perform 95% interchangeably, so everyone has some aoe, everyone has some interrupt, everyone has som defense cooldown, everyone has some buff. As someone put it in an other thread :

Now, I don't know about you, but I don't care if I'm the shoe, the hat, or the iron in Monopoly.

And lets not even mention magic damage dealing self healing meelee with ranged skills plate wearers :)

Noone is denying wow its success, strengths or achievment, but the things we are talking about are NOT part of them.

Flame on!

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

WoW is the first MMO for the majority of MMO players right now.

I enjoyed my time but I no longer play.

Why? Cause the story / lore just lost me in Wrath.

As someone who loves a good story, WoW doesn't deliver anymore.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.