Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does initial Race choice have large ramifications down the line?

ZerlyZerly Member Posts: 35

Hi Guys,

Im starting a new character in EVE, as I used my first character as basically a learning curve exercise.
Is race choice vital for the long term? If I decide I want to be a PVP player, or miner..can you choose the 'wrong' race initially, forever hampering your efforts?
I dont want to start off on the wrong foot...

Thanks

Comments

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

It might hamper the beginning of the game somewhat when you need some good stats to learn skills quickly but down the line, once you have training skills and implants, it doesn't make much of a difference anymore.

The most important stats at the beginning of the game are definitely memory and intelligence, since a lot of the staple skills depend on these 2 stats. But don't pick a character with high memory and intelligence at the expense of other stats because you'll eventually have skills that use the other stats too. I'd say your best bet is to make a character with even stats all around.

• SevarusSevarus Member Posts: 65

Not really. What IS critical is the distribution of character starting statistics.

If you've generated a character with high charisma and medicre other skills, you have created problems.

The INT, WILLPOWER, Perception, memory skills should have priority. These allow for MOST learning times to be lessened.

There are threads in the eve new player section of the game forums which go into real detail on this point.

Also another thing, it used to be (back in the day) that you could just train up different ships and such with not much issue. Now with the various skill tree paths and specialization, its VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT for a new player to stick with one race's ships and bonuses and get proficient in them before branching out.
    (Saves a lotta time and effort later on.)

Play what you like, but try to stay with the race you pick's equipment at the beginning, it will pay off later as your skill sets with one races ships will allow you to be competitive in the PVP side of things much much quicker.

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by Zerly
    Hi Guys,Im starting a new character in EVE, as I used my first character as basically a learning curve exercise.
    Is race choice vital for the long term? If I decide I want to be a PVP player, or miner..can you choose the 'wrong' race initially, forever hampering your efforts?
    I dont want to start off on the wrong foot...Thanks

Sadly the choice of race has only little influence in a game mechanical way. Eg, I have a Gallente Character but I can't even fly Gallente Battleships, but Amarr and Caldari. In one way this means you have more freedom, on the other hand it also means less immersive background.

2 main things are influenced by race.
    1.) RP, if you are into that
    2.) The base Attributes and starting skills.

Personally I'd say choose the one that appeals most to you, and most importantly pick your attributes appropriately to the role you want to take. If you want to make an industrial character then Perception and Willpower are of secondary nature, but Intelligence and Memory being important.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

As most combat characters have about 50% of their skillpoints distributed in turrets id suggest perception and willpower as your main stats. Best thing you could do though is to create a Caldari Deteis character and try to balance your stats so you that get perception and intelligence at its highest, closely followed by willpower and memory. The reason for this is because perception and intelligence are usually the main attributes while willpower and memory are secondary.

If im not mistaken, all learning skills (skills that will make your base stats better) use memory as their primary attribute and intelligence as their secondary. Turrets, missiles and ship command use perception and willpower while engineering electronics and most industrial skills use intelligence and memory.

Having said all this, you should go to the help channel ingame and ask for step by step instructions on how to create your character. Thats what i did and 1.5 years later i couldnt be more happy with my character.

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236
    In the next year or so, the race will probably have a little more impact as the universe seems to be headed towards racial wars, but as of right now it doesn't really matter once you get into the game and find your niche.  If you made a Gallente character but dont really like their ships or style, then switch.  It's just a matter of time.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.