Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR, TSW go f2p/b2p. What about TERA

mWo4lifemWo4life Member Posts: 119
How is TERA doing? Any signs indicating that can follow the root of SWTOR, TSW and change to f2p or b2p anytime soon?

Comments

• EwanisEwanis Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Doing good, no f2p soon, at least not in europe. And that is a good.
  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

It could probably go F2P early next year. EME is having a promotion that basically allows you to play anywhere from 9-10 months of TERA for a little over $25 through Amazon. There are other sites that have the promotion, but Amazon has the best deal hands down. it also bypasses [one of] the purpose of the Chronoscrolls which is to give players 30 days of playtime which costs $15 to the buyer.

BHS really isn't pulling that much from all 4 regions. NHN Japan has pretty much flat-lined. They are having a promotion that is giving away 30 days of play time without any restriction to both new players and those that left. They take hourly population roll calls and you could say that they could place everyone together and not fill half of one server. Global populations sometimes dip into the double digits. And no, I'm not kidding. BHS started with 37 and are now down to 4, but since populations are light around the clock they could easily put everyone into 2 servers most likely. Gameforge just had a server merge last month and Raven did talk a little bit about the F2P discussion. He says that it isn't off the table, and if a decision were to be made, it would be between EME, BHS, and themselves.

I remember AION did something very similar during the holidays. They sold the game with the expansion for about $7.99 while the collector's edition went around $14.99. That was NCSoft's so called "last stand" to see if they could continue to use the P2P model. They checked their metrics and announced F2P a few months later. I've listed this a few times before, but MMORPGs released post 2006 has seen a dramatic decrease in strictly P2P games. So much that as it currently stands, there are only 8 games that use a strictly P2P business model (in that time frame). And 2 games recently fell off that list (within a span of 2 weeks).

I'm pretty sure TERA will also go F2P or use the freemium model. There was a pretty huge debate recently on how EME was trying to milk their paying customers; 4 methods to be exact. No other game comes close to what EME has tried to do on top of the monthly subscription. In the past 7 years the only other P2P (no longer) game that tried to double dip their customers was The Secret World with a strictly vanity cash shop. Note: I mean games released in the past 7 years.

I'll post the official announcement in another thread. I'll tell you this, at least the deal is pretty amazing for what it’s worth.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

It's EnMasse's and Frogforges fault for the situation TERA has over here.

They took a 18+ MMO with blood and clear korean grind mechanics (that also includes a mix of pvp and pve) -

and tried to make it a pegi12 (frogforge eu) game with zero blood, missing adult humor (a lot of cutscenes and story are missing and rewriten) and typical "Themepark".

RNG enchants aren't a overlook it's a core feature for money and timesink as well as balance.

When it comes to "shop" items The comparison to JP & KR isn't quite easy. You don't pay a box a monthly 15$ fee and then the shop clothes on top of that. Especially because you are not that "cosmetic" starved because a lot of stuff is "FREE" bonus for subs and / or special live events.

All we get here is for NA: pay in the shop additional, or for EU - nothing at all.

I agree that TERA must switch model if it wants to survie here, however it was by the publishers own doing and i personally will quit with my guild if it goes F2PayMore with luckboxes / kiddys & bots spamming the chat.

If tera wants to trully get better they should go the more honest approach of "B2P", instead of the missleading mess F2P(ayMore) is.

• mastergravymastergravy Member UncommonPosts: 38
    I was just subbed to this game and have just canceled it, due to the fact i ran around the first few zones to 30 and maybe seen 2 people the whole time. in the main capitol city i prolly seen maybe 30 people. so unless everyone was out doing stuff in high level zone i see no growth with this game at all. whos playing now is all this game is gonna get. plus they only have like 3 servers as well so this in it self should say how well its doing, it sucks. i might go back if it does a trasition to B2P or F2P but i will not waste my money anymore on a (what feels like) singleplayer MMO.
  • Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    Originally posted by mastergravy
    I was just subbed to this game and have just canceled it, due to the fact i ran around the first few zones to 30 and maybe seen 2 people the whole time. in the main capitol city i prolly seen maybe 30 people. so unless everyone was out doing stuff in high level zone i see no growth with this game at all. whos playing now is all this game is gonna get. plus they only have like 3 servers as well so this in it self should say how well its doing, it sucks. i might go back if it does a trasition to B2P or F2P but i will not waste my money anymore on a (what feels like) singleplayer MMO.

Sorry but aside from Celestial Hills that post is hilariously false. I have low mid and high level characters in Tempest Reach and Mount Tyrannas and zones are bustling. If you are in CH then you can transfer free to Tempest Reach.

ah, I haven't paid a dime since August, on anything, due to scrolls. But looking at Ambrosia's post I am very tempted to get a copy from Amazon.