Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Guild Wars 2: Wintersday is Coming

2»

Comments

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

GW2 is the fat free cake that tastes delicious of MMRPGS.

You pay once, you have it forever.  Play as little or as much as you want.  Take a 5 month break and come back.  You don't feel everyone has passed you buy because there is no hamster wheel (i.e. raid progression).

GW2 is the best value one can get in a game.   Hate on it all you want, but you'll come back in the future because you never have to pay again to do so.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    If they added more real content and less holiday and cosmetic fluff then I might actually be tempted to play again.

After Halloween, they pointed to the November update, for people who had that complaint :/

So they pointed to an update only providing content to those that enjoy PvE and more specifically dungeons?  A single dynamic event chain and a dungeon.....  They've done nothing to address the bugs and issues that plague the game (especially concerning WvWvW and class balance; for PvE's sake I see more broken events now than I did at launch) or the incredible lack of variety in sPvP. 

PvE'ers can eat their hearts out, but PvPers are left to starve.  Extremely disappointing considering the amazingness that was GW1 PvP.

Short list of what would bring me back: fix player culling in WvW, class balance (some classes are simply outshined by others; there's no point in using them competitively), more than 1 sPvP mode (arena, capture the flag, anything seriously).  I don't think I'm asking for too much here.  I'm not saying the game should cater solely to me, but they're leaving a whole section of their playerbase out in the cold.

Come on, keep up with the news! Wvwvw updates will be placed during January. They have already been working on culling, as shown by the test culling they ran this week. Balancing is a constant thing, and seems to be updated once or twice a month. 

If you ever expected this game to be balanced right ag luanch, your kidding yourself. 

Exactly - sounds awfully familiar.  I know, they might actually fix all the major things that players want.  More than what can be said of most disappointing MMOs.  but it's always next month, and people will only fall for that, for so long.  Honestly, it could be a year or more, before they do enough to really make the game worth sticking with..

Some will wait for it, some will come back for it, but some won't come back, once they're gone.  More, the longer it takes.  Attachment to our characters and all that fades pretty quickly. 

Remember when they said there wouldn't be a gear treadmill too?  Oh yeah.....  I'll believe culling is fixed when it's actually fixed in game.  I'll praise WvW additions when they're actually in game.  I'll cheer for new sPvP modes when they're actually in game.  Class balance at launch?  We're 4 months out and there are classes that are absolutely pointless to use in any competitive team composition.  Anyway, point being I'll be happy when they actually do something instead of just promising and failing to deliver.

Steam: Neph

• SkuldinSkuldin Member Posts: 79

Let me speak for the older guy crowd in this genre when I say,  "The last damn thing I want to do is more fluff kid's stuff." Where is the drama and the struggle? Are ALL these games aimed at twelve year old kids and women now?  I'm not trolling I just feel like ALL the games put this crap out now, even SWTOR (which I dont play now) has some Christmas festival crap going on. 

Gathering candy corn around the world was absurd and this is yet another absurd event.  Where is the REAL content?  The Karka invasion was lagfest of crabs, I swear to god these developers have lost their way or maybe I just expect 'more'. 

Thirty years of gaming experience...not sure if I should be proud of that
    www.mmoexaminer.blogspot.com

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by QSatu
    Originally posted by Homitu
    I love love LOVE that I can step away from GW2 for a couple weeks to play other offline games that I would otherwise tend to neglect when playing an MMO, and feel absolutely no pressure to log on.  And then when new monthly content rolls around, I get all excited again and have a blast for a week or 2.  It's the freedom I've always looked for in an MMO since I hung up my hardcore progression raiding boots.  

It's strange b/c it feels like most of this forums posters actually are looking for another job and mmo which will addict them to log in daily for 3 years. otherwise the game fails..

Different people are different.  I would say I've either changed as an MMO gamer or I'm simply more aware of what I've always wanted.  I'm not sure which it is.  I was definitely once one of those 4 hour a day (at least) daily players who played for years straight, and I obviously felt like I enjoyed it, or else I wouldn't have played.  Yet, every time I stepped away for a few months (as it seems everyone in every game eventually does), there was always a huge sense of relief.  So even in my most intense raiding days, the sudden lack of a gaming obligation and subsequent availability of other games (and other activities) during my free time would always feel liberating.  

As for these montly updates, my favorite moments in MMOs have always been the release of a new expansions, or even launch days. GW2's monthly updates have all managed to capture the *feel* of expansions thus far.  Players congregate in the same areas for new content.  There's an air of wild exploration and discovery of all the new stuff.  And so far, I think most of GW2's new stuff has been interesting and different (Clocktower, Fractals, 1 time events, mini games.)  

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

A group game that does not have enough players to actually join a group = FAIL!

(Not everyone lives in the same time zone)

Adding one time events, will not do anything to fix this problem!

Having said that, I will be there somewhere grinding on the stuff that is actually killable when playing solo. Don't see any point in running up to a champion to do NO damage (may as well be using  tooth pick for a weapon, also not interested in fighting the same dam thing for extended periods of time!) to it and get killed on its first attack!

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by zastroph

A group game that does not have enough players to actually join a group = FAIL!

(Not everyone lives in the same time zone)

Adding one time events, will not do anything to fix this problem!

Having said that, I will be there somewhere grinding on the stuff that is actually killable when playing solo. Don't see any point in running up to a champion to do NO damage (may as well be using  tooth pick for a weapon, also not interested in fighting the same dam thing for extended periods of time!) to it and get killed on its first attack!

Don't worry they will probably give everyone everything for free, they seem to do that after events are over.

• Xeno326Xeno326 Member UncommonPosts: 77
    This actually sounds really fun, I enjoyed the halloween events quite a bit, just wished there was more time to finish the pumpkin carvings! The lost shores... didn't enjoy so much. Can't wait to do everything in this holiday event. :)
  • fgbrooksfgbrooks Member Posts: 9
    I am going to be a total Grinch and say that not only do I  not care about the Wintersday material, but I resent the fact that instead of fixing all of the reported bugs, implementing suggested improvements, etc, they are wasting their programming resources on this fluff.
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Some people obviously do not follow forums. With this update there will be balancing changes.
  • VancePantsVancePants Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    If they added more real content and less holiday and cosmetic fluff then I might actually be tempted to play again.

After Halloween, they pointed to the November update, for people who had that complaint :/

So they pointed to an update only providing content to those that enjoy PvE and more specifically dungeons?  A single dynamic event chain and a dungeon.....  They've done nothing to address the bugs and issues that plague the game (especially concerning WvWvW and class balance; for PvE's sake I see more broken events now than I did at launch) or the incredible lack of variety in sPvP. 

PvE'ers can eat their hearts out, but PvPers are left to starve.  Extremely disappointing considering the amazingness that was GW1 PvP.

Short list of what would bring me back: fix player culling in WvW, class balance (some classes are simply outshined by others; there's no point in using them competitively), more than 1 sPvP mode (arena, capture the flag, anything seriously).  I don't think I'm asking for too much here.  I'm not saying the game should cater solely to me, but they're leaving a whole section of their playerbase out in the cold.

Come on, keep up with the news! Wvwvw updates will be placed during January. They have already been working on culling, as shown by the test culling they ran this week. Balancing is a constant thing, and seems to be updated once or twice a month. 

If you ever expected this game to be balanced right ag luanch, your kidding yourself. 

Exactly - sounds awfully familiar.  I know, they might actually fix all the major things that players want.  More than what can be said of most disappointing MMOs.  but it's always next month, and people will only fall for that, for so long.  Honestly, it could be a year or more, before they do enough to really make the game worth sticking with..

Some will wait for it, some will come back for it, but some won't come back, once they're gone.  More, the longer it takes.  Attachment to our characters and all that fades pretty quickly. 

It's the holiday season! Once this enormously resource consuming event is over, I'm sure the devs can start looking into those content upgrades and modifications (if they need or want to). Christmas and Halloween are event times for pretty much all MMORPGS (just check the site promotions...)

:D

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

They already have a fix for player culling in WvW in that it will cull your side, and not theirs, and they are working on a bigger fix.

Also they have a big update for WvW planned, with balance changes, in this very update. Perhaps you should read the notes before complaining.

"On a happy note, players will no longer be able to cheaply escape defeat in WvW by crashing the client with ALT+F4. Anyone that does will be instantly killed, death penalties applied and loot handed out. Hey, if you can’t take the beating, stay out of the battleground.

ArenaNet is also making some other big changes. For one, an advanced notifications via message broadcast for updates will be given so you don’t drop down a trebuchet just to get a sudden disconnect and lose it and all of your resources. Another change comes in the form of keep walls. These will no longer be able to be rebuilt the moment they collapse. Instead, players will have to repair the wall to 10% before it returns, giving invaders ample time to trample your merry group of defenders.

The last one is a rather big one. WvW is getting a new feature called “Breakout Events”, which will trigger if one or more factions are pushed out of a given WvW map. These events are aimed at aiding the defeated players in reestablishing a foothold. Here’s what Designer Matt Witter wrote about the new feature, so be ready for a hefty fight if you see the dreaded commander charging your area on the battlefield."

• bakagamibakagami Member UncommonPosts: 152
    My computer crapped out on me so I don't get to see this :(  Have fun for me everyone

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

They invest more time on holiday event then much needed WvW attention.

Realy tought Anet would give prio to PvP before anything, but it seems the other way around.

Proves for me that no studio is any better then Blizzard tbh.

Glad the pve champs get to play something nice tough :)

Hawken is the perfect game for me now.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

I remember reading on these forums something like:

"If they'd give you a gold bar, you would complain it's too heavy.."

(Sorry I can't name you unknown poster... but you know who you are!!) 

That's exactly how I feel reading all these complaints..  If they did what some of you are begging for, i.e.: only fix stuff and balancing classes (which is a neverending process in any games that has different classes/skills), then you would complain that it's been 4 months and nothing new was added.. 

Different teams work on different aspects of the game. Pushing new content involves mostly level designers and artists, which are of limited to no use in bug fixing (especially with bugs like the culling one) and class balancing. 

If you can't appreciate what they have been offering us every month since release (for free mind you) or if you don't find any enjoyment from playing the game any more, it`s probably a sign that you should put it aside. The good news is that you can come back whenever you want, to see if those issues you had got resolved or not, without anything else to do than launching the game.

And if you want to go the Scrooge way regarding Christmas events, you just have to spend those 3 weeks in Orr..   But since it's filled with undead ... Just watch out for the ghosts of past/present/future wintersday.. they might make you change your mind!!! ;P

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I don't really begrudge them the holiday events.  I actually enjoyed Halloween.  For me, it's more that I wish the team that was responsible for the November update were as competent as their event team.  I don't know if they all have equal resources or what, but it just seems like they have their priorities a little screwy.  Their best devs should be doing the regular updates, and IMHO, the holiday stuff should be secondary to that.  Not the other way around.  

The November update was somewhere between a joke and a clusterkitten, that took the game in the wrong direction entirely.  On the one hand, you've got the addition of an instance grind that's sucked the life out of the open gameworld, and on the other a lame little new island that's completely pointless.  While Halloween was great.  That just seems kinda crazy to me.  I'm certainly not looking forward to whatever their content team is working on, now.  Coming in January or whatever.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

Great stuff as usual, and ANet really listen to player feedback to make those events more accessible.

Can't wait!

Originally posted by evilastro

On a happy note, players will no longer be able to cheaply escape defeat in WvW by crashing the client with ALT+F4. Anyone that does will be instantly killed, death penalties applied and loot handed out. Hey, if you can’t take the beating, stay out of the battleground.

I hope they won't screw this one up and won't apply penalties when getting disconnected out of combat =P

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Skuldin

Let me speak for the older guy crowd in this genre when I say,  "The last damn thing I want to do is more fluff kid's stuff." Where is the drama and the struggle? Are ALL these games aimed at twelve year old kids and women now?  I'm not trolling I just feel like ALL the games put this crap out now, even SWTOR (which I dont play now) has some Christmas festival crap going on. 

Gathering candy corn around the world was absurd and this is yet another absurd event.  Where is the REAL content?  The Karka invasion was lagfest of crabs, I swear to god these developers have lost their way or maybe I just expect 'more'. 

Uh hum....I'm a female and have been playing mmo's since Ultima Online. The GW2 holiday is simplified and childish for me too. I want a meatier mmo in modern times as good as UO, DAOC, AC1, were back in their day. I'm sick of the kiddie mmo's and the WoW clones too. Don't lump us in there with the kiddies, because not all females like the crap mmo's that are being put out these days for the mass casual and kiddies.

For those that do enjoy the game, I'm glad they have something they like to play and it's being updated regularly.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot