Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interested in trying it out.

TheGamblesTheGambles Member Posts: 23

But my main concern is well... is anyone playing it even though it's now free to play?

Bugs I can handle, but a desolate MMO? not even worth the time of day to me, no matter how good the mechanics are. I've kind of burnt out on Planetside 2 lately and my interest was piqued in sandbox MMO's so I tried Salem and Prelude is the other one? Had a hard time finding anyone at all around. Was hoping to atleast be murdered or held up...something... lol. 

Seems this game is the last choice? saved it for last as not much good has been said about it from what I can find.

Sooo is it worth trying? and would anyone be interested in playing with me? 

Comments

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Supposedly it is not completely abandoned, so give it a try and judge yourself, only thing you lose is your time.
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

You have to like open world full loot pvp to survive this game. My 14 day trial went like this:

- wandered aimlessly around the starter area in Fabernum hacking rocks and trees. Went outside, got lost and got killed by a skeleton near the graveyard so lost my newbie (yellow) flag.

- respawned in the starter area and was instantly killed by a red flag player who was roaming through killing anyone he could.

- was given a horse by a nice player who gave me some tips and tricks. Parked it by the gate while I went to the bank. It was killed by a known red player.

- got another horse and stabled it. Went to the bank to get my stable receipt and it was instantly pickpocketed. The guy then brought my horse from the stable and killed it in front of me.

- went to Meduli and someone gave me a mule so I could go hit some rocks and bring it back to town. As I was leaving Meduli I was attacked by 4 red players who killed the mule as well.

- got given another mule and went to hit some rocks. On my way back to town a naked guy with a two-handed sword ran up to me and killed me and the mule.

I'm not complaining about that experience, that's what a full loot sandbox like Mortal is like. It's rough, it's tough and it can be hard work. I don't have the time for that, but if you do you might end up loving the game.

Originally posted by Vonatar

I'm not complaining about that experience, that's what a full loot sandbox like Mortal is like. It's rough, it's tough and it can be hard work. I don't have the time for that, but if you do you might end up loving the game.

That is not "rought and tought", that is griefing and poor design.

• TheGamblesTheGambles Member Posts: 23
    Oh man hahaha I laughed at the guy pickpocketing you and then killing your horse in front of you. What an evil bastard hahaha well maybe I'll give it a try, hopefully I can run into the variation of nice and evil people like you did.
    Originally posted by Toferio

I always thought griefing was a part of the genre because peoples morals don't exactly spill over into games.

• IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by TheGambles

I always thought griefing was a part of the genre because peoples morals don't exactly spill over into games.

Yep, I sure dont play MMO's to uphold the moral values as I would in real life. I enjoy the games where I am free to play whatever I feel like playing ... nice guy, jerk, recluse, hero ... whatever.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

That's not always how "full loot sandbox is like".

I've played other full loots like Darkfall, DayZ, etc and none of them sounded as bad as this. Most of the time other players kill for greed not kill you and then destroy something they could loot and use or sell as well. That's just plain destructive griefing as a result of bad player base.

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

That's not always how "full loot sandbox is like".

I've played other full loots like Darkfall, DayZ, etc and none of them sounded as bad as this. Most of the time other players kill for greed not kill you and then destroy something they could loot and use or sell as well. That's just plain destructive griefing as a result of bad player base.

Actually I personally played a loooot of DayZ, right at it's peak it was horrible for griefing. People would just insta kill you on site some out of fear, some bandits would just camp along the shore and snipe noobs with high calibure sniper rifles. If they weren't busy camping one of the cities. This is if a hacker was bombing the server. I really do feel as if the worst kind of people are attracted to these games, but hey, that's the name of the genre right lol.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Actually I personally played a loooot of DayZ, right at it's peak it was horrible for griefing. People would just insta kill you on site some out of fear, some bandits would just camp along the shore and snipe noobs with high calibure sniper rifles. If they weren't busy camping one of the cities. This is if a hacker was bombing the server. I really do feel as if the worst kind of people are attracted to these games, but hey, that's the name of the genre right lol.

In DayZ I could understand that kind of behaviour - it is a scavenge game with no production/industry element (and plus it is centered around survival), so camping cities all noobs denies them access to powerful equipment which they might come around to kill you or your friends and loot your stuff, and plus it is a boring game once you got everything and have no trouble surviving and the game itself really has nothing other then the survival element.

In MO however killing a newbie and then, not to take the horse, but to kill the horse; or to pickpocket the horse ticket and then get the horse and kill it in front of the newbie, really makes no sense except for the fact that other gameplay element is so lacking that people are bored enough to do asinine things like this - however MO is not DayZ, it is supposed to be a full mmorpg with crafting and guilds and shit.

MO is supposed to be a full featured MMORPG, DayZ is not (it is just a survival game), and somehow the crowd in MO sounded more mentally disturbed then DayZ. That tends to indicate to me that people are bored and there is really nothing else to occupy their time in this game but to find inventive ways to grief people.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

i agree with toferio, any game that allows the killing of noobs for the sake of simply killing without risk or punishment is bad design

in its own way, mo is a survival game like dayz, ever time you login its generally a struggle against both poverty and being murdered, finding food to eat that is decent, or armor to war, or weapons to wield or pets to ride on.

i honestly believe that mo has griefers pickpocketing a horse ticket then killing the horse in the front of the newb, because the game mechanics allow it. If those same game mechanics were in dayz it would also happen and i imagine once pet dogs are added to dayz standalone people will grief players dogs jsut for the sake of it.

poor game deisgn or not this is kinda the thing youre going to encounter in MO at times.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• GenadiGenadi Member UncommonPosts: 110
    What's funniest out of all of this is the griefer I'd say was prob a mod or GM. That's what they do on their off time, ghost scout using their powers than grief anyone they can. Game is beyond saving, please OP try it out, in a few weeks it'll be one more person who quit MO.
    Originally posted by Genadi
    What's funniest out of all of this is the griefer I'd say was prob a mod or GM. That's what they do on their off time, ghost scout using their powers than grief anyone they can. Game is beyond saving, please OP try it out, in a few weeks it'll be one more person who quit MO.

• YojimboBimboYojimboBimbo Member Posts: 162
    Lol
    Originally posted by Genadi

That's quite a stretch, even for MO.

• GenadiGenadi Member UncommonPosts: 110
    At least 2 have been caught in the past year and either stepped down or relieved of their duties. 2 more were doing it but either haven't been caught yet or as usual Discord kept it hidden to save his own ass.
  • YojimboBimboYojimboBimbo Member Posts: 162
    It is true, GM herius, also known as sweed from rlc has not only scouted for his buddies, but I've seen situations where he repeatedly kicked a pal of mine and then when he was reported claimed that he was pressing the wrong button. It isn't the stretch that one would think crazily enough.
  • BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

But my main concern is well... is anyone playing it even though it's now free to play?

Yep, plenty of people in Tendrim, Meduli, Vadda, Bakti,...   but a few of the less interesting cities have less people.

The game is far from perfect, but I'm enjoying it. At least since the patch 2 weeks ago it's now working well for me. It's the only fantasy sandbox mmorpg, so there's no other choice anyway if this is what you're looking for.

The best for a new player imho is to finish the tutorial in Tendrim and then move out to some of the nicer places. And read the help, professions howtos, etc... on the web; otherwise you'll be lost.

well it isnt the only fantasy sandbox, but you are quite limited at present

mo

uo

wurm

thatsp retty much it as far as im concerned.

but df uw beta sign up just started so theres hope for a more diverse genre yet

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821
    Originally posted by deathshroud

well it isnt the only fantasy sandbox, but you are quite limited at present

mo

uo

wurm

thatsp retty much it as far as im concerned.

but df uw beta sign up just started so theres hope for a more diverse genre yet

Dakfall UW is a pvp arena with limited crafting and Tasos confirmed in the video mmorpg.com interview 1 or 2 weeks ago that they have no plans to add sandbox features in the future. He is personaly only interested in pvp and  they don't have the ressources for that (at least they try to get one thing working great at launch compared to MO which wants to do everything).

As for UO, it's the best of course but I mean 3D mmorpgs with current day graphics.

But wurm, yeah I haven't tried this one (I tried the 2D game long ago, but I now see they have a 3D version?). Does it also have territorial control with fortresses and taxes over the territory etc...? How does it compare?

never tried it myself, but from what i hear it can be fun if crafting is you main focus.

played both UO and MO, i agree that UO is indeed better than MO as is EVE online, but i played and enjoyed MO far longer than both of those games so mo certainly has it appeal to some.

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Not really the best forum to ask your questions if you are new and thinking about the game. There's a lot of misinformation here and a lot of former players who want the game to fail and therefore post accordingly. For an example of misinformation one of the first posts in this thread someone says they lost their fledgling flag because that died to a skeleton. That simply isn't how it works but he sounds new so likely doesn't understand everything yet. As for the rest of what he said that sounds plausible but you learn to protect yourself by taking precautions such as not leaving your horse unattended, or keeping your back to walls to watch for thieves approaching. Stuff like that.
  • EnergyoEnergyo Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by YojimboBimbo
    Originally posted by ltank
    Not really the best forum to ask your questions if you are new and thinking about the game. There's a lot of misinformation here and a lot of former players who want the game to fail and therefore post accordingly. For an example of misinformation one of the first posts in this thread someone says they lost their fledgling flag because that died to a skeleton. That simply isn't how it works but he sounds new so likely doesn't understand everything yet. As for the rest of what he said that sounds plausible but you learn to protect yourself by taking precautions such as not leaving your horse unattended, or keeping your back to walls to watch for thieves approaching. Stuff like that.

[mod edit]

Not really, if he wants to get good information he should go to the official mo forums. You just cant get reliable information on here. There's people on this forum who probably havent played the game since beta or since around release but stick around on these forums just to talk shit about the game, it's funny really. Before I am called a fanboy or whatever I've been extremely critical over mortal online and have voiced my concerns in game, in irc and on the official Mortal Online forums but with recent patches they have done a whole hell of a lot to improve on the game. 

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Actually the official forums are less reliable, since they are heavily censored and most non-fanboy posts are removed. Here you can get a more unbiased picture.
    Originally posted by YojimboBimbo
    [mod edit]

Whatever dude, look at post history. I havent ever tried to say this game is something it is not in fact on here i've been more critical of it. But as a fan of sanbox games I dont hope a company like SV fails just so that it backs up any arguments made. I would rather this game turn in to the game it should be and you know what, I'm playing the game and I am enjoying it. Should I not be allowed to enjoy the game because you hate SV?

Originally posted by Biskop
    Actually the official forums are less reliable, since they are heavily censored and most non-fanboy posts are removed. Here you can get a more unbiased picture.

No doubt that they are somewhat censored but that's kind of also a bs statement in the same way.  I've said shit on the forums there that I thought would get removed but they were not. I and many others have voiced our displeasure on there.